• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

TRAINING QUEST Rogar's Hall

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Rogar's Hall

Postby Pancho » October 23rd, 2020, 2:43 am

torilen wrote:I would absolutely say this quest would be played after the full original quest pack, if not even later than that.

Personally, I do not like the idea of Mentor venturing out with the heroes. If they wanted Mentor to be able to
heal the heroes, they should've come up with a different method of performing this. If Mentor can go out with
the heroes in this adventure, why not in all of the others? And why does he only heal the heroes? Mentor is
supposed to have power that at least rivals the Warlock Lord, yes?

And on a different note - I believe the Mentor figure is an add-on only for those who backed the game at the
Mythic level...is this right? Do they plan on making it for sale later to whoever wants it? Otherwise, it seems
very odd to me that they would specifically make a quest that includes the need for a Mentor figure, when
it is not clear if everyone will have access to that character.

I know, we've all homebrewed quests and made use of monsters for which we never had figures. This is not a
homebrew quest - this is something being published by a multi-million dollar corporation who is crowdfunding
a new game, who has access writers and designers of the caliber few of us will ever reach.

They should know better.

Remember that this is a magical dungeon designed to test the Heroes capabilities. The monsters are illusory. It does make sense for Mentor to accompany the Heroes here, even if he doesn’t on any other quest, if we think of it as a magical arena in Nuln, or wherever Mentor is supposed to reside now.
In my opinion the bonus figures for Mentor, Ragnar and the Witch Lord are by far the best minis that this company have come up with, so I’m glad that the Mentor figure is getting a run out here. I think this is a bonus quest, rather than fitting into the original 14 quest, which might also alleviate your concerns, but I could be wrong.

There. I just did the unthinkable and actually defend new Heroquest. Now I feel all funny. I think I need to go and lie down.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » October 23rd, 2020, 3:03 am

Stephen Baker has a lot of good will, so I'm inclined to give him a pass just because. The "Mentor" figure is among the "Limited Edition" minis. Obviously you won't need it to play this particular Quest (just like you don't need the Sir Ragnar figure to play "the Rescue of Sir Ragnar"... we never needed him back in the day with Classic), but it's a nice bonus.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » October 23rd, 2020, 7:25 am

Pancho wrote:There. I just did the unthinkable and actually defend new Heroquest. Now I feel all funny. I think I need to go and lie down.

Just because you don't like it as a whole doesn't mean you can't appreciate individual aspects |_P

Orc26 wrote:From what they posted about this Mr. Baker made this quest for the fun of it. (Something something cool mentor figure something something.)
For all we know this may be a free download quest that anyone who wants to download it can download it.

It is literally a free downloadable quest :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 23rd, 2020, 8:18 am

:twisted: Well played Goblin-King, Well played. :twisted:

What I meant is that it would stay a downloadable quest and never get an actual release anywhere else.
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Oftkilted » October 23rd, 2020, 9:42 am

Has anyone actually put this new quest into the “difficulty checker” excel spreadsheet to see how it fares?
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby torilen » October 23rd, 2020, 10:04 am

Pancho wrote:There. I just did the unthinkable and actually defend new Heroquest. Now I feel all funny. I think I need to go and lie down.

I'm sorry. I have TRIED to balance criticism with good thoughts. I've actually held back quite a bit of the negatives I have, mainly
because I know they are more my personal opinion and taste, and not really toward actual design or merchandising.

I really do have a big problem with the whole crowdfunding thing they are doing, knowing who these companies are. I know I should
just get over it, but it is hard.

Honestly, it is nice to see them even attempting to bring the game back out, and at least 85% or so like the original game.

And if nothing else, it has really brought out people to the Inn. Whenever I post on the FB page, I try to find a way to point
back to the inn whenever I get the chance - hopefully others do/will as well. But, really, I can't even keep up with all the
new comments here lately, and it's not all just about the new game, either. Maybe we'll get a nice influx of people wanting
to try their hand at homebrewing, and we'll get some nice quest packs. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 23rd, 2020, 11:37 am

Oftkilted wrote:Has anyone actually put this new quest into the “difficulty checker” excel spreadsheet to see how it fares?

I haven't done it, but I wager it's harder then the Trial or anything in Keller's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord

Since the mandate is to play with no equipment, I'd rank it up there with the Frozen Horror group quests. The Frozen Horror solo quests are only somewhat doable with a Barbarian that has all his equipment.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » October 23rd, 2020, 1:06 pm

torilen wrote:

I'm sorry. I have TRIED to balance criticism with good thoughts. I've actually held back quite a bit of the negatives I have, mainly
because I know they are more my personal opinion and taste, and not really toward actual design or merchandising.

I really do have a big problem with the whole crowdfunding thing they are doing, knowing who these companies are. I know I should
just get over it, but it is hard.

Honestly, it is nice to see them even attempting to bring the game back out, and at least 85% or so like the original game.

And if nothing else, it has really brought out people to the Inn. Whenever I post on the FB page, I try to find a way to point
back to the inn whenever I get the chance - hopefully others do/will as well. But, really, I can't even keep up with all the
new comments here lately, and it's not all just about the new game, either. Maybe we'll get a nice influx of people wanting
to try their hand at homebrewing, and we'll get some nice quest packs. :)

Your post pretty much sums up my thoughts on this whole thing. It’s like you’ve held up a magic mirror.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » October 23rd, 2020, 2:53 pm

I like a lot the structure of the map used in this quest, as it offers several paths to follow leading to a common target but changing the difficulty level a lot.
The key is in room F: it seems like Mentor is waring you before you open the door with the Gargoyle and then will disappear!
So, if the heroes start the quest walking from the central room to the left door, they will meet the gargoyle and Mentor will not give them any warning. Not a real problem anyway, but an easier way to complete the quest because Mentor can still be with you while you face the gargoyle and can still help you with his potions (if any is left). He will disappear AFTER you kill the gargoyle.
On the contrary, if the heroes start the quest by walking through the top door, they will follow the opposite direction and Mentor will disappear in room F and can not support you anymore against the gargoyle.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » October 23rd, 2020, 3:01 pm

I’m not following your description as there’s only one path into the Gargoyle room. And that’s from the bottom right room with two goblins.

The secret door connecting the center room to the corridor with the Abomination can’t be accessed until after the Abomination and zombies are killed, which can’t happen until after the gargoyle is dead. (As the secret door can’t be detected from the center room.)

You can see that in the updated map provided by Hasbro
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion