• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quest 8: The Fire Mage--Spellcasting Strategies for Zargon

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Quest 8: The Fire Mage--Spellcasting Strategies for Zarg

Postby arch8ngel » June 12th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I'm just trying to get the mage spells off before death. He has 3 body points! Very rarely do you get to use chaos spells, so I want to play it well.

Except for Quest 1: The Trial, the heroes have smoothly sailed to this point. The game has almost been a snooze. So yes, like Game of Thrones, someone good needs to die soon, but hopefully win the quest. Challenge, not ruin them. Both of them are gamers and smart working adults in STEM fields. They can handle it. Sometimes challenge is fun. I may be the dumbest gamer among them in the group, if that helps.

Give him an extra couple of hit points to make him Genie-survivable.

And if you want guaranteed ways to knock down some hit points, start adding some traps to the map, or stacking traps toward the top of the treasure-search pile. Put them closer to the margin before the big battle even starts.
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jalapenotrellis » June 12th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I like the idea of giving him Wand of Magic or more hit points. I wonder if the Heroes will have it by the time they face him.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 13th, 2019, 1:07 pm

If you give him the wand of magic, of course the heroes can't find it until they killed him. :lol:

I should do a test game with wandering monster balur, I guess it can be hilarious.
Especially if Thou Foir Moige has all nine fire spells. :-)

Yeah I know. But it can be fun! :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » June 14th, 2019, 12:20 am

Sorry to annoy everyone with my brainstorming.
Do y'all reveal the number of spells, which spells he has, and monster stats to players? It doesn't really say either way, does it? I revealed number of spells and stats of monster at quest 6...but not sure the pros/cons.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » June 14th, 2019, 2:41 am

One of my groups is getting closer to this quest. I’m thinking of giving Balur fire of wrath, ball of flame, firestorm and........... ................ fire elemental!!!!

Should be fun, but I’m worried it could be too brutal on the Heroes.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby arch8ngel » June 14th, 2019, 9:24 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Sorry to annoy everyone with my brainstorming.
Do y'all reveal the number of spells, which spells he has, and monster stats to players? It doesn't really say either way, does it? I revealed number of spells and stats of monster at quest 6...but not sure the pros/cons.

I don't reveal spells until they are cast.

I usually reveal primary stats... but now that you mention it, I might keep boss stats "secret" until they are revealed naturally.
Would be fun to keep the party on their toes as they wouldn't know the defense or attack strength until it comes up in the normal course of play.
(also gives more leeway on the hitpoints if you want to keep him in the game longer)

You could think of it as the party knows normal monster stats because they are so prevalent in the realm, but unique bosses... nobody else has lived to tell the tale so it is a mystery.
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » June 14th, 2019, 2:36 pm

arch8ngel wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:Sorry to annoy everyone with my brainstorming.

I don't reveal spells until they are cast.

I usually reveal primary stats... but now that you mention it, I might keep boss stats "secret" until they are revealed naturally.
Would be fun to keep the party on their toes as they wouldn't know the defense or attack strength until it comes up in the normal course of play.
(also gives more leeway on the hitpoints if you want to keep him in the game longer)

You could think of it as the party knows normal monster stats because they are so prevalent in the realm, but unique bosses... nobody else has lived to tell the tale so it is a mystery.

I like this. I just wonder if it is fair or ensures death.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » June 30th, 2019, 7:16 pm

This quest went really well!
We had a new player who played the wizard very well as well.
Balur, the fire mage, got all of his spells off and even two to three melee attacks.
The Heroes actually used veil of mist to get into the room with the Barb and then used Heroic Brew to double attack Balur, who amazing survived. They tried to sleep him initially when the room was laid out and he was vulnerable, but I rolled a 6 immediately. I had to summon Orcs as like my first spell in the main room, and I rolled a 5 (5 orcs). I used escape immediately in the first appearance.
I even cowered in the corner and all heroes came in and I Firestormed them all without killing any of my minions, who were already dead. It was GLORIOUS!!! I would have killed the dwarf, who had fear on him for about 3-4 turns, had the wizard not topped him off on a whim right before I Firestormed.
It was awesome.
When they got Tempest off on me, I thought I was screwed but actually rolled well to defend myself then.

Question: line of sight on Balur when in the corner of the room behind the sorcerer table? They played it that their hero was blocking line of sight, which I agreed with. The sorcerer table doesn't block line or sight even though it is so big. Right?

Question 2: Heroic Brew: do you get to defend twice? I ruled yes because otherwise it is a guranteed slaughter the second roll.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » July 1st, 2019, 1:22 am

Q1 - we play the Sorcerers table, the tomb, the torture rack and the alchemists desk as being like the ordinary tables; they block movement but allow line of sight over the top.
The taller bookcases, cupboards, weapon rack etc block movement and line of sight. These are usually up against a wall though so blocking is limited.

Q2 - I agree, the figure gets to defend against both attacks.

Sounds like a brilliant quest, with the Heroes having to work really well as a team in order to take down the Fire Mage. How many BP did you give to Balur?

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » July 1st, 2019, 2:10 am

I just play as stated in the quest notes: 3 body points. He gets 5 defense dice tho and 7 mind points and is immune to fire spells all stated in the quest notes, so as long as you keep meat shields around (minions) who can block line of sight for crossbows and spells, he can tactically get off a lot of spell casting because each hero usually attacks once per turn (wand of magic and Heroic Brew exceptions, both which came into play to my surprise and I didn't plan for them). I think a main cripple was tempesting the dwarf to prevent a crossbow attack and movement away from the door as well as a fear spell that stuck for 3-4 rounds on him. He still killed an orc with that on because they only have 1 body point...to my dismay.

We play the same with regards to line of sight. The hero surprisingly blocks line of sight though even if the caster is one square out of the line that the enemy and hero are in.

The heroes barely got dented this round. The minions were too weak (skeletons have to be the weakest...they don't take hits or deal them). They searched well for all traps except the one with the double spear trap on the side, opposite Balur's final room.

At the beginning I was super worried since they cast genie and sleep at me. Luckily both were not deadly. The minions are not arranged to protect Balur until Zargon's first turn after the door opens. Initially, he is very vulnerable to crossbow, spellcasting swap in and out. I would have been sooooo dismayed if they got all that off successfully before I got a chance to retaliate, especially after looking forward to this quest for so long!
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems