• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spell Ring and Expansion spells

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Spell Ring and Expansion spells

Postby wallydubbs » Tuesday January 29th, 2019 4:56pm

I'm aware of what the artifact card says:
"This ring enables the Wizard or Elf to cast one spell two times (not simultaneously). At the beginning of a quest, the wearer of this ring must declare which of his spells he is storing in this ring."

The same spell can be cast twice during a quest, but the artifact card was made when only 4 spell sets were available. Suppose the Elf has the Spell Ring at the start of Mage of the Mirror, where he has extra spells.
Would anyone else allow the Elf to add an unused spell into the ring?
I understand the artifact card says the same spell twice. But this was before any expansion spells were added to the Elf's or Wizard's use.

Also, even though the card says it can't be used simultaneously, the Wand of Magic probably bypasses this.
wallydubbs

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spell Ring and Expansion spells

Postby lestodante » Tuesday January 29th, 2019 5:16pm

My interpretation is that the ring wearer should chose 1 spell from the range of spels he has already chosen.
So if he chosed Elf Spells (maximum of 3) he can store into the ring only one of the 3 he chosed and not one from another set.

I guess... if you use the wand of magic you can cast 2 spells. One of these is the one you have stored inside the ring. but the ring will not allow to use the same spell you have already used in the same turn (not simultaneously it says)
Last edited by lestodante on Tuesday January 29th, 2019 5:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Tuesday January 29th, 2019 5:19pm

I would rule that it has to be one of the spells he has prepared before the quest. Otherwise, you open an ugly pit of snakes: if the Wizard and Elf both choose spells, would the Wizard then be able to copy one of the Elf's spells into the Ring, or vice versa, if the Elf has the Ring?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Tuesday January 29th, 2019 5:47pm

Elf or Wizard doesn't matter, I will manage the situation like this:
1) the hero choses his favourite set of spells (9 for the wizards from any available set you own or 3 for the Elf, from any available set);
2) from the selected spells you can pick one to store into the ring;
3) when you have to use your action you can use the Wand Of Magic (allow 2 spells) OR use the Ring (1 spell).

The Wand of Magic allows the Hero to cast two spells instead of one but it counts as "1 action". You can not use half of your action (casting just one spell instead of two) and then perform another full action by using the Ring (or any other item).
If my hero own both Orc's Bane and Spirit Blade: I can attack the Orc twice by using the Orc's Bane, but I can not attack it once with the Orc's Bane and the second time using the Spirit Blade in the same turn, right?
It is the same with the Wand and the Ring. Two different artifacts, two different and separated actions.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Saturday April 4th, 2020 7:39am

I have a doubt about the Spell Ring.
It says you can use a spell TWO times.
Do you think it means that you can use the spell into the ring TWICE (and a third time is by using the standard spell card) or does it mean you can use that spell A SECOND TIME after you used the standard spell card?
Example: I assoviate GENIE to the Spell Ring. I use the Genie spell once with the card (AIR Spell). Now I have the Spell Ring, it allows me to use Genie TWO TIMES. So can I cast it a total of 3 times or only 2?

Rewards:
lestodante

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » Saturday April 4th, 2020 11:08am

lestodante wrote:I have a doubt about the Spell Ring.
It says you can use a spell TWO times.
Do you think it means that you can use the spell into the ring TWICE (and a third time is by using the standard spell card) or does it mean you can use that spell A SECOND TIME after you used the standard spell card?
Example: I associate GENIE to the Spell Ring. I use the Genie spell once with the card (AIR Spell). Now I have the Spell Ring, it allows me to use Genie TWO TIMES. So can I cast it a total of 3 times or only 2?

That's an interesting interpretation of the card, but I don't think that's the intended way to read it. If I wanted to write a card that worked the way you describe (i.e. +2 spells for a total of 3), I would probably use the phrasing "two ADDITIONAL times". Since they didn't write Spell Ring's effect with the word "additional", I suspect they wanted it to mean "use a total of two times [instead of the 1 time you normally get]".

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Sunday April 5th, 2020 5:14am

I've always thinked it is so (just 1 additional time) but recently I was translating the US cards in Italian and noticed that TWICE, so my doubts started.

Rewards:
lestodante

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Game Systems