• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ring of Return stories

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Ring of Return stories

Postby wallydubbs » November 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm

So, I'd like to hear some of the stories other people have had with Ring of Return, it's a one time use only and I was wondering if anyone had unusual stories upon it's use...
My crew used it as soon ad they got it, just to get out of the Castle of Mystery. The Wizard had the bag of gold and low health, so he practically just sat in a room waiting for the rest of the heroes to clear out the other rooms until the Elf got the Ring of Return. Eventually the Elf ended up in the same room while Barbarian was still clearing out monsters (the Dwarf had already rolled a 12 and was back at the stairs). The Barbarian finally ended up in the same room as them and the Elf teleported them all back to stairs (despite that there were only 3 goblins left on the map).

I'd like to hear some of your stories? Did anyone ever save the Ring of Return until Keller's Keep and use it in the Spiral Passage? That would've been the ideal time, to escape to boulder.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ring of Return stories

Postby lestodante » November 9th, 2018, 6:51 pm

I think it can be useful in quests that split heroes in 2 groups (maybe by a portcullis falling down after the hero passed through it or after a falling rock trap).
If the ring bearer is left alone he can use the ring to go back to the stairs and then reach the rest of the group.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm

"Nope"

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » November 11th, 2018, 7:24 pm

I had a party that attempted to use the Ring in "Eyes of Chaos", after killing the boss character that makes the dungeon start to collapse.
It turns out that going back to the starting point of the Quest is not always the same as going to the ending point!
As a result, the heroes had to hot-foot it from the beginning room of the dungeon over to the exit door, all while losing 1 Body Point each turn from the falling rubble. Many Potions were consumed as a result of this me-foolery.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 11th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:...Many Potions were consumed as a result of this me-foolery.

:lol:
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Ring of Return question

Postby The Admiral » November 28th, 2018, 11:35 am

Well, having not even remembered ever using the Ring of Return, it suddenly turns up in the quest 'Search for the Chaos Warlock' which is quest 9 of my Wizard's quest pack which I am currently testing with a party of Heroes. They are near the end of that quest, but after relentless bad luck are in a sorry state. They will push on as far as they can, but I got to thinking that they could probably do with bailing out in middle of an upcoming big final room fight. Can the ring be invoked at any time i.e. during Zargon's turn, or must it wait until the ring owners' turn, and if so, would it then take an action to invoke?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Ring of Return question

Postby wallydubbs » November 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm

The Admiral wrote:Well, having not even remembered ever using the Ring of Return, it suddenly turns up in the quest 'Search for the Chaos Warlock' which is quest 9 of my Wizard's quest pack which I am currently testing with a party of Heroes. They are near the end of that quest, but after relentless bad luck are in a sorry state. They will push on as far as they can, but I got to thinking that they could probably do with bailing out in middle of an upcoming big final room fight. Can the ring be invoked at any time i.e. during Zargon's turn, or must it wait until the ring owners' turn, and if so, would it then take an action to invoke?

I would imagine one must wait until the player's turn... this "final room fight" situation was addressed in Return of the Witch Lord Quest 5: The Gate of Bellthor simply by stating (A Ring of Return will not work here).
I don't think it would take an action, though; the hero isn't really doing anything asides from saying "Go Ring!"
But it us a form of Teleportation, which was used in Quest 10 of the original system... It says once the hero goes through the door he stops immediately... So maybe his turn automatically ends after using it...But

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » November 28th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Count Mohawk - that is an excellent story. I'd have been dying laughing at that situation.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » November 29th, 2018, 5:20 am

Love it :-)

Yes effectively the ring of return does not work in many quests. Imagine being beamed back to the first level of the Ogre Stronghold. :-D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 29th, 2018, 5:43 am

Anderas wrote:Yes effectively the ring of return does not work in many quests. Imagine being beamed back to the first level of the Ogre Stronghold. :-D

But if the Heroes were in the middle of the big final fight and were clearly going to fail and all die, then a quick extrication from the situation would be preferable so that they can live to fight another day?

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems