• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A few questions on Orc's Bane

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: A few questions on Orc's Bane

Postby The Admiral » November 27th, 2019, 2:06 pm

No, not often.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » November 27th, 2019, 3:41 pm

Pancho wrote:I always think of the sword Sting from LOTRs when I see Orcs Bane. Sting is said to glow in the presence of Orcs, but in truth it does the same with goblins too.

Lol, I kinda feel the same way.

Orc's Bane doesn't get utilized very much, so in my quest groups I swap it out with Borin's Armor. They find Orc's Bane in Quest 7 on the weapons rack. At this point the heroes are still developing and not close to maxing out yet. So Borin's Armor is found at the Bastion of Chaos instead, in the chest guarded by the gargoyle. This is a very useful artifact, so the fact that it comes later in an easily missed spot, makes it all the more rewarding.

When I played Lost Wizard with my girlfriend and her daughters, the Dwarf barely survived the Stone Chaos Warriors but ended up dying on a Treasure Search (Hazard). The Barbarian found Orc's Bane, but because he already had a Broadsword, the Elf had a Longsword, he gave it to the Dwarf for the next quest, fair enough since he missed out on the reward.

Next quest I swapped some skeletons and Zombies for greenskins (Quest notes say Balur was aiding the orcs, not undead). So when the Dwarf got to Balur's first room I said "Orc's Bane is glowing blue!"
I cast Summon Orcs, more orcs appear, Wizard cast's Courage on the Dwarf (the Barbarianwas stuck in the hall and couldn't get in), I Tempest the Dwarf (Leavingthe Elf to do most of the fighting), Wizard casts Rock Skin on him. It was a fun little back and forth segment in the game.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 27th, 2019, 4:35 pm

I just play this weapon as is. Not all artifacts are supposed to be awesome. Some you can only use once. Elixir of Life, magical throwing dagger. Fire ring.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 28th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I just play this weapon as is. Not all artifacts are supposed to be awesome.

As I've pointed out before!!!

Half the issue is "as is"... 1 mans "as is" is different from anothers. Which leaves those who understand the "as is" problem having no idea at all how you actually play it. And, those that don't understand the "as is" problem thinking you play it exactly as they believe "as is" to be, which could be completely different from what you actually do. Without the context of the "as is" the words are dead weight.

It's not so much an issue with Orcs Bane though, there's only a few variations that can be open to interpretation when taking the words to a hardcore literal.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 28th, 2019, 6:51 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:I just play this weapon as is. Not all artifacts are supposed to be awesome.

As I've pointed out before!!!

Half the issue is "as is"... 1 mans "as is" is different from anothers. Which leaves those who understand the "as is" problem having no idea at all how you actually play it. And, those that don't understand the "as is" problem thinking you play it exactly as they believe "as is" to be, which could be completely different from what you actually do. Without the context of the "as is" the words are dead weight.

It's not so much an issue with Orcs Bane though, there's only a few variations that can be open to interpretation when taking the words to a hardcore literal.

The only issue on the Orc's Bane card that I can see being open to interpretation is whether the two attacks have to be against the same orc. Allowing it to attack Goblins/Fimirs etc. is not an interpretation, it is a house rule.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » November 29th, 2019, 6:58 am

It's funny to see the differences between the different versions.

US: "When using this magical shortsword, you roll two combat dice to attack. You may attack twice if attacking an Orc. May not be used by the Wizard.

UK: "The sword, Orcs Bane, allows you to roll two combat dice in attack. You may attack TWICE if you are fighting Orcs."

Dutch: "Met het zwaard met de Vloek van Ork mag je twee gevechtsdobbelstenen gooien om aan te vallen. Je mag twee keer aanvallen als je vecht tegen een Ork." This is literally translated as "With the sword with the Curse of Orc, you may roll two combatdice when you attack. You may attack twice if you are fighting an Orc."

Note the differences in wording. Only the US version disallows its use by the Wizard. The UK version has the plural for Orcs, whereas the US and Dutch version refer to a singular Orc. Although, technically speaking, "an Orc" might also be a generic reference to any number of Orc opponents.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 29th, 2019, 7:05 am

Being so used to the US version of the wizard, no idea how other versions of the game would allow the wizard to wield a shortsword! Seems so uncharacteristic.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 29th, 2019, 10:00 am

We’ve always played it as can attack same Orc twice if it didn’t die, or second fight against a different Orc if the first did die.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 29th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Maurice76 wrote:It's funny to see the differences between the different versions.

Only the US version disallows its use by the Wizard.

In fact, none of the UK artifacts disqualify the Wizard.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 29th, 2019, 9:49 pm

The Admiral wrote:In fact, none of the UK artifacts disqualify the Wizard.

Merlin Sticker n. 66 says Wizard can wear Borin's Armour... :mrgreen:

Hero-Quest-Merlin-Sticker-Hasbro-1991-Number-66.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems