• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Race Against Time - insert a sense of urgency with EW cards

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Race Against Time - insert a sense of urgency with EW ca

Postby Pancho » January 25th, 2018, 4:47 pm

That's just evil :twisted: :lol:

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Spookyhappyfun » March 6th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I've been looking at the base game today in preparation for running a campaign for my D&D group who haven't played HeroQuest before. I'm adding in some things that I've been using already like the Lone Monster and Rest Cards and thinking about finally adding in a sort of leveling system. I've got a bunch of Skill cards I need to go through, but I'm going to try to do it so every five Quests my Heroes gain a level and get to choose a new Skill card or Spell to use.

To go along with that, I'm switching the order of the Quests a bit (and adding a little more story) so it'll go Sir Ragnar, Orc Warlord, Melar's Maze, Magnus' Gold, and The Trial will be the fifth Quest, or first proper boss fight (against Verag, one of Zargon's lieutenants) where you level up at the end. After that the next three are normal and I'll add in an additional Quest, pushing Race Against Time to number 10. This will be the first time Zargon actually takes notice of the Heroes directly and I can use the Evil Wizard Cards for the first time, making getting out a proper race against time. They will then level up after that. Finally, the last 5 quests will be the same, making Return to Barak-Tor the 15th and final with the last level up of the base game.

This should be fun!

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » March 6th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Spookyhappyfun wrote:After that the next three are normal and I'll add in an additional Quest, pushing Race Against Time to number 10. This will be the first time Zargon actually takes notice of the Heroes directly and I can use the Evil Wizard Cards for the first time, making getting out a proper race against time.

I really like the idea that the EW cards are introduced at the moment Zargon becomes aware of the Heroes and actively tries to take them down. You could really play on this moment with your group, on the one hand they will feel special because their exploits have gotten them noticed but on the other hand they'll be panicking that the Dark Lord is now coming for them.

I can also vouch for the Lone monster cards, those are great. I have never used the rest cards, so would be interested to find out how you get on with those.

by the way which quest are you planning to add to get it up to 15 in total?

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 7th, 2018, 12:14 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:I'm switching the order of the Quests a bit (and adding a little more story) so it'll go Sir Ragnar, Orc Warlord, Melar's Maze, Magnus' Gold, and The Trial will be the fifth Quest, or first proper boss fight (against Verag, one of Zargon's lieutenants) where you level up at the end. After that the next three are normal and I'll add in an additional Quest, pushing Race Against Time to number 10. This will be the first time Zargon actually takes notice of the Heroes directly and I can use the Evil Wizard Cards for the first time, making getting out a proper race against time. They will then level up after that. Finally, the last 5 quests will be the same, making Return to Barak-Tor the 15th and final with the last level up of the base game.

This should be fun!

It should indeed. The plot makes a lot of sense like this, kind of like Frodo and Sam on their way to Mount Doom.
I like your plan.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » March 7th, 2018, 7:46 am

Pancho wrote:by the way which quest are you planning to add to get it up to 15 in total?

I haven't figured that one out yet.

I want something that fits with the main Quests in difficulty and story but maybe has some unique hook or mechanic.

Any thoughts?

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 7th, 2018, 8:22 am

One of the vanilla stand-alone quests from White Dwarf.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » March 7th, 2018, 9:11 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
Pancho wrote:by the way which quest are you planning to add to get it up to 15 in total?

I haven't figured that one out yet.

I want something that fits with the main Quests in difficulty and story but maybe has some unique hook or mechanic.

Any thoughts?

The White Dwarf and other magazine published quests could be the way to go, but maybe some don't fit your requirements;

1. Halls of Durrag Dol - based around Skaven so doesn't slot in seamlessly with the original quests.
2. Eyes of Chaos - has Ogres in it, might take away the novelty of Against the Ogre Horde when your group gets to that.
3. Running the Gauntlet & Growl of Thunder - solo quests that wouldn't fit well with your theme.
4. Plague of Zombies - really good quest but maybe a bit too difficult, you might have to delete a few monsters.
5. Inn of Chaos - never played it, but I think it would fit.
6. Revenge of the Weather Man - Another really cool quest that I think would fit in well, maybe with a few tweaks.

Of the fan-made stuff in the Quests section, the following could be useful to take a peek at; "Brigands Beware", "The Triquetra", & "Chaos Unleashed" (this last one is actually a quest pack but the quests can be played as one-offs too).

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » March 7th, 2018, 10:22 am

knightkrawler wrote:One of the vanilla stand-alone quests from White Dwarf.

I was looking at those.

Pancho wrote:1. Halls of Durrag Dol - based around Skaven so doesn't slot in seamlessly with the original quests.
2. Eyes of Chaos - has Ogres in it, might take away the novelty of Against the Ogre Horde when your group gets to that.
3. Running the Gauntlet & Growl of Thunder - solo quests that wouldn't fit well with your theme.
4. Plague of Zombies - really good quest but maybe a bit too difficult, you might have to delete a few monsters.
5. Inn of Chaos - never played it, but I think it would fit.
6. Revenge of the Weather Man - Another really cool quest that I think would fit in well, maybe with a few tweaks.

I want to stay away from Skaven and Ogres in the Base Quests so 1 and 2 are out. No solo stuff so 3 is out. I was looking at 4 as a real possibility. I like 5 a lot but it's a little too different and I want to have a town board printed before I run that one. I'm using j_dean's Summons of the Wizard's Council in place of Wizards of Morcar and it includes Revenge of the Weather Man, so 6 is out as well.

I was looking at maybe Durgul Heroslayer but it's pretty generic and having so many relatives of the Orc Warlord in such a short number of Quests might become silly. I've done The Stolen Chalice fro the Triquetra before and it was good (but I really need more Fimir to do it correctly). I'd have to change the story for the second one, though, since the Witch Lord isn't back yet, and I can't do the last one so soon after defeating Verag the first time. Let me take a look at Brigands Beware.

Rewards:
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » March 7th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Take a look also at 'Dungeons Dark' by Whitebeard. I have used a number of these quests myself, if I remember rightly they can stand well as single adventures.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » October 19th, 2018, 11:28 am

Some of these are really good ideas, I never really considered adding an Evil Wizard to watch over and mess with them along the way.

I never liked the story behind Race Against Time, though, as a guide simply puts out his torch and disappears. You'd think that at least 1 of the heroes would pay attention at how they got there.
I also felt, as the name suggests, that this quest required a time limit of sorts. But time for the players isn't necessarily the same as time for the in game characters.
The Elixir of Life is the artifact of this quest, and I've always found this fabled item to be wrapped around Alchemical Lore. I also wanted another quest where the heroes encountered a friend (Like Sir Ragnar). So I changed this quest a bit into another rescue mission: so i changed the intro, added furniture, put the stairwell in the room just north of where the heroes would normally start (thus moving the 3 orcs into the room with 3 doors), put the Alchemist and his bench in the room where the stairwell normally is with a locked door and a secret passage/trap door connecting that room to where the chest with the Elixir of Life normally is, and I gave the heroes 20 turns to find the Alchemist before the Chaos Warrior finds him and kills him. The map was essentially the same everywhere else.
It would take the heroes at least 5 turns to clear out the first 3 rooms and realize there's a secret door.
By turn 18 the Wizard was close to death and the heroes were getting frantic (they forgot to search for secret doors in the room with the chests and thus missed the secret passage/trap door); so they sent the Dwarf off with Pass Through Rock and Swift Wind to find the Alchemist. He would reward the heroes with the Elixir of Life and let them keep whatever gold they found as he can just make more.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems