• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Postby knightkrawler » October 9th, 2017, 12:13 pm

But I agree with Goblin-King and Gold Bearer that there is only one way each to correctly play NA and EU Courage as written.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » October 9th, 2017, 12:32 pm

To each EWP their own.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 9th, 2017, 2:14 pm

It's language. With grammar, vocabulary, semantics and pragmatics.
It's not so easy:
j_dean80 wrote:To each EWP their own.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » October 9th, 2017, 2:57 pm

While I generally agree with this notion, it's not really a valid answer when someone asks about rule specifics.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 9th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Goblin-King wrote:

While I generally agree with this notion, it's not really a valid answer when someone asks about rule specifics.

I totally agree with j_dean80's notion. It's ultimately up to the EWP to decide on rule specifics.

I like to hear arguments from multiple sides. I might change my mind.

In this case however, I'm not convinced. I still think the intent of the US version is to clarify (albeit poorly) the EU version, not change its effect.

I will concede that the literal interpretation changes the spell drastically from the EU counterpart, but confuses things with the last line. Either way you play it, I think we can all agree that it could've been worded more carefully.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » October 9th, 2017, 4:10 pm

I've been reading everyone's posts on how this should be played and then it dawned on me that Orc's Bane is a lot like First Strike in Magic the Gathering. I don't know if any of you have play it (I'm sure some of you have) but this is taken right from the MTG Wiki site,

702.7b. If at least one attacking or blocking creature has first strike or double strike as the combat damage step begins (Orc's Bane first or next attack), the only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are those with first strike or double strike. After that step, instead of proceeding to the end of combat step, the phase gets a second combat damage step. (Orc's Bane second attack) The only creatures that assign combat damage in that step are the remaining attackers and blockers that had neither first strike nor double strike as the first combat damage step began, as well as the remaining attackers and blockers that currently have double strike. After that step, the phase proceeds to the end of combat step.

Courage (NA Version)

This spell may be cast on any
one Hero, including yourself.
The next time that Hero attacks (Orc's Bane first or next attack),
he may roll two extra combat dice.
The spell is broken the moment the
Hero can no longer "see" a monster.

Now none of this will matter is the EWP has house rules that allows PC to cast spells during other PC turns, seeing as the rule book states that you can only cast spells on your turn.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 9th, 2017, 6:44 pm

I still don't read it that way. It seems like an over-explained (badly worded) version of the EU. That's what I mean by my previous statement. Each EWP can interpret it their own way and play their table by their interpretation.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » October 9th, 2017, 8:20 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I still don't read it that way. It seems like an over-explained (badly worded) version of the EU. That's what I mean by my previous statement. Each EWP can interpret it their own way and play their table by their interpretation.

Don’t feel bad, the wife is still telling me that I’m wrong. Even though Zargon/Morcar is never wrong he has never played against my wife. :)
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » October 9th, 2017, 9:20 pm

If you look at the fire spells as a group and compare it to the other group without a healing spell (air) and seek balance... It is prety clear that Ball of Flame, Fire of Wrath, and Courage (for one attack) is balanced with Tempest, Genie, and Swift Wind. If it counts for all attacks against a mob, then Courage is the most powerful spell in the game, and the "lesser" fire spells push that grouping WAY over the top. Why would the most powerful FIRE spell be COURAGE? That makes no sense. If Ball of Flame isn't it, then surely "Immolate Monster" would be the third one. Or perhaps "Burnt Offering"? Serriously though, how did they miss the chance to use "Burning Bag of $hit" as the lesser of the fire spells? Mosters with at least one mind point will not step in that square until the next turn!!!! :lol:

And then there is the whole, "Oh yeah, I did read that wrong" moment. I think 50% of us got caught on this one, myself included. But the text is quite clear when you slow down and read it.

Of course you can play it anyway you like. And the courage spell is prety damn cool the other way around. :barbarian: But the "debate" on correctness of interpretation is unambiguously solved per a 9th year logic class. :wizard: |_P
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 10th, 2017, 7:01 am

The next time that Hero attacks...
The NEXT time that Hero attacks...
:)

Thor-in, you found all the hidden monster rewards WITHOUT ANY CLUES!!! :o
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems