• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Orc's Bane Combined with the Courage Spell

Postby Goblin-King » October 7th, 2017, 10:18 am

Gold Bearer wrote:It means if there's ever no monster in your sight before your next attack then the spell wears off, the two extra dice only applies to your next attack.

^This

Wizard cast Courage on the Elf who could need a boost in slaying two chaos warriors.
Next round the barbarian and dwarf each slays one of the chaos warriors.
It's now the Elf's turn. But there are no visible monsters left so the spell fizzles.

It's a stupid and unnecessary rule. It should just stay in place until he attacks something. But I guess GB has a point in the above post.
Still, you wouldn't want to just randomly cast it out of combat, as you could risk blowing it on a goblin.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » October 7th, 2017, 10:23 am

They really nurfed the fire spells in the US version. Makes me think that the shields that need to be rolled in the UK version of fire of wrath and ball of flame can be either shield and I've always done it wrong. Now that interpretation of the rules really is unclear so I'm sticking with their own shield type.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 7th, 2017, 10:43 am

I know. Like I said, I understand your argument, but I still disagree. And that's ok. If I play in your game I would play by your interpretation. If you play in mine, you get to follow mine. I actually have a reprinted card for that spell and potion that doesn't allow for multiple interpretations. Call it a homebrew if you like, I still consider it an interpretation, and that's still ok.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 7th, 2017, 10:51 am

I've always interpreted it as the effect lasting until the last visible monster is gone. The part about next attack is when the spell actually begins effect
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 7th, 2017, 8:38 pm

sajungzak wrote:I see the logic in thinking both attacks are affected. Since courage lasts as long as the heroes can ' see' a monster, they have a pretty good argument. Orcs bane is limited to orcs already so I don't think it is over powered. I'd suck it up, take the hit, and move on.

But if you allow this then you are explicitly saying he rolls +2 combat dice with EVERY attack until there are no visible monsters left!
That's how the EU Courage works, but not the NA.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 7th, 2017, 10:12 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I've always interpreted it as the effect lasting until the last visible monster is gone. The part about next attack is when the spell actually begins effect

Well put.

Goblin-King wrote:But if you allow this then you are explicitly saying he rolls +2 combat dice with EVERY attack until there are no visible monsters left!

That's right, except I believe the NA courage works the same as the EU courage, only it is worded differently so that it is clear that if the monsters step out of LoS before the hero on whom the spell was cast gets a turn, then the hero can still use it the next time he attacks.

EU Courage:
This spell may be cast on any one player. That player may then throw two extra dice each time he attacks, until the spell is broken. The spell is broken when there are no more monsters visible to that player. The spell is then discarded.

US Courage:
This spell may be cast on any one hero, including yourself. The next time that hero attacks, he may roll two extra combat dice. The spell is broken the moment the hero can no longer "see" a monster.
Last edited by sajungzak on October 7th, 2017, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » October 7th, 2017, 10:25 pm

The monsters in NA are stronger than EU. The Heroes in NA are weaker. Wouldn't make sense for the spell's effect to be weaker.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 7th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I can see the US Courage being interpreted conservatively or liberally.
Conservatively, the spell must be cast on a hero that currently has a monster in LoS. That hero must then attack before the monsters either get killed or hide behind a corner (nasty, Zargon), or the spell has no effect. If the hero can successfully land an attack while the spell is still in effect, the spell adds two attack dice to a single attack roll and is done.
Liberally, the spell can be cast at anytime. The spell truly begins when the hero chooses to attack and it stays in effect until no more monsters are in LoS. (Hint: If a competitive Zargon can move his minions out of that hero's LoS, he should.)

Rewards:
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » October 9th, 2017, 5:59 am

Goblin-King wrote:
sajungzak wrote:I see the logic in thinking both attacks are affected. Since courage lasts as long as the heroes can ' see' a monster, they have a pretty good argument. Orcs bane is limited to orcs already so I don't think it is over powered. I'd suck it up, take the hit, and move on.

But if you allow this then you are explicitly saying he rolls +2 combat dice with EVERY attack until there are no visible monsters left!
Exactly. It doesn't matter which monsters are stronger, it says NEXT attack so that's what it applies too, unless there's no monster in sight before your next attack. It clearly says that on the card.

Edit:
Thor-in wanted to settle a rule dispute and ended up starting a completely different one. :)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 9th, 2017, 9:07 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Thor-in wanted to settle a rule dispute and ended up starting a completely different one. :)

I think we've done a pretty good job pointing out that the way courage effects orcs bane depends on how you play courage.

Rewards:
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems