• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Bob Naismith Interview May/2021

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: The Heroquest Sculpts - Ask Bob Naismith

Postby Thantos » October 1st, 2018, 3:39 pm

AHh there should have been :P

Bob's pretty busy with his first KS project
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... v/comments
We are doing the 3D prints for him at the moment. But i will put something together and he was happy to answer questions and talk about the GW days last i called him :)

Will aim to draft something from peoples questions in a week or so :)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » May 17th, 2021, 1:29 am

I would have liked to know if the alternate weapons for the Orcs and Goblins were his idea or if they were part of the game system design, indicating a possible use. (Thinking Orc with notched sword as an example.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » May 17th, 2021, 4:40 pm

I would be curious to hear Bob's answers instead. I contacted him some years ago to ask him for an oldschool sculpt of the Witch Lord and he replied me he was very busy atm because was moving in a new house (or office) and we could deal later. after some correspondence by email I sent him some images from the box art and from the sticker album as a reference and he just sayd "interesting stuff" but then disappeared. I sent a couple of emails later but he didn't reply anymore.
Wonder if Thantos was more lucky, his first post here seems was left unfinished...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thantos » May 21st, 2021, 10:17 am

Thanks for the bump! Sorry, I have been venturing the world. About time I checked back in at the Inn again :P

I was talking with Bob today and he said he can try and answer some questions. So I sent him these. I rephrased a few a little, but I think i got everyone in there :D I'll post up with what results. He is a man of few words indeed though :P

1. Which is the best hero? Barbarian, Elf, Wizard or Dwarf?

2. Where did you draw inspiration from, for the model designs you did on Heroquest?

3. Which minis did you sculpt for the set? Or did the sculpt gang share sculpts in collaboration?

4. Do you know anything about the proposed sculpts for the never published expansion Wizard and Dwarf quest packs?

5. How much input did either Game Workshop or Milton Bradley have while you were sculpting? Did they just let you do your thing or were they strict on the design?

6. Were there any of the range that you would have liked to have sculpted but did not get the chance?

7. Why the unusual choice of shape for the bases, instead of the beloved slottabases?

8. Do you remember if there were there any other heroes or monsters planned that didn’t made it through development?

9. The Orcs and Goblins have a variety of weapons. Was that the sculptor’s idea or were the weapons part of the game system design, indicating a possible use in the rules?

10. Would you sign a HeroQuest monster card, for one of the models you made? 0:)

11. Is there anything about the original Heroquest game which you think the world needs to know?
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » May 22nd, 2021, 6:00 pm

Was him involved only in both the plastic and metal (unreleased) miniatures?
Do the original green sculpts still exist? (for both plastic and metal models)
How many copies (approssimatively) of the metal prototypes were cast?
Is he open to old school miniatures commission??

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Thantos » May 24th, 2021, 6:19 am

Got some replies from Bob :D I'll update the first post too. Sorry dante, i messaged him questions before seeing yours.
But I know he does do commissions, im trying to get him to do an Orc Warboss sculpt in HQ style at the moment :P

1. Which is the best hero? Barbarian, Elf, Wizard or Dwarf?

I liked the barbarian and dwarf the best, probably as sculpts though!

2. Where did you draw inspiration from, for the model designs you did on Heroquest?

They were drawn from the core fantasy stereotypes that abounded especially within the citadel range

3. Which minis did you sculpt for the set? Or did the sculpt gang share sculpts in collaboration?

We nominally shared the sculpting but from memory the Perry twins did most of the Demon and I think Aly did a lot of the Wizard. I did a lot of the Barbarian Dwarf and Skeleton . As the person responsible for managing all the sculpting at GW at that time, I basically had to finish all of the sculpts prior to release.

4. Do you know anything about the proposed sculpts for the never published expansion Wizard and Dwarf Quest packs?

Well, not too long after the Heroquest release the game became the design province of MB and that's where those developments came from I believe.

5. How much input did either Game Workshop or Milton Bradley have while you were sculpting? Did they just let you do your thing or were they strict on the design?

Well as GW sculptors we were pretty much given our head – we had a set of metal minis that the management thought were core concepts and we used them – for instance we had been working on realm of chaos, so the demon and chaos warrior were already done, if you like!

6. Were there any of the range that you would have liked to have sculpted but did not get the chance?

No not in particular – as manager I was just glad to complete the project!!!

7. Why the unusual choice of shape for the bases, instead of the beloved slottabases?

That was a function of the game board – they had to fit!

8. Do you remember if there were any other heroes or monsters planned that didn’t make it through development?

Not really – for the first game the set was settled right from the start

9. The Orcs and Goblins have a variety of weapons. Was that the sculptor’s idea or were the weapons part of the game system design, indicating a possible use in the rules?

We wanted to maximise the sculpts but at the lowest cost = so we hit upon the idea of sculpting the orcs and goblins with no weapon but the ‘plane ‘ of the weapon being absolutely flat. Then we supplied the toolmaker with sculpts for all the different weapons which were added to the models during tooling. Not at all like today!!

10. Would you sign any HeroQuest monster cards, for some of the models you have made?
Of course id be glad to!

11. Is there anything about the original Heroquest game which you think the world needs to know?

There was a funny thing about the furniture. Again we had a tight budget on tooling so we stole the idea of plastic and card components from Adeptus Titanicus. With this in mind we (I and Dave Andrews) started work on the bits. In those days we made everything out of tool wax – notoriously hard to work with and very vulnerable to damage in untrained hands. So we made the parts to a tight schedule after which we asked to make a silicone mould and send castings instead. All went well until the mould was poured. We had got the ratio wrong and the rubber never cured! We had to spend a tense few days cleaning the uncured rubber from the masters before carrying on. I think my hair started to gray just about then!!

Rewards:
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » May 24th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Thantos wrote:3. Which minis did you sculpt for the set? Or did the sculpt gang share sculpts in collaboration?

We nominally shared the sculpting but from memory the Perry twins did most of the Demon and I think Aly did a lot of the Wizard. I did a lot of the Barbarian Dwarf and Skeleton . As the person responsible for managing all the sculpting at GW at that time, I basically had to finish all of the sculpts prior to release.

But is he talking about the metal or the plastic models?
Also, did they do the 4ups prototypes as Hasbro did with US expansion or did they sculpt directly at 28mm size?

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » May 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm

dont tell him bout my :dwarf:

:roll6:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 12th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Well, at least you got the toes right . . . RIGHT?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Game Systems