• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quest 10 Castle of Mystery Poll

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Quest 10 Castle of Myster, is it "Special"?

Poll ended at August 10th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Yes, it is different from all of the other Quests
100%
No, it is just another Quest
No votes
Haven't played it yet. No opinion.
No votes

Total votes : 10

Quest 10 Castle of Mystery Poll

Postby Decipher » August 5th, 2015, 7:55 pm

I have always loved Quest 10 Castle of Mystery. I guess it is just different than the other Quests in the starter set and it has made an everlasting mark in my mind through the years. I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of the quest, the good the bad and the ugly. Don't forget to vote.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Quest 10 Castle of Mystery Poll

Postby whitebeard » August 5th, 2015, 10:42 pm

More than a few people on here despise that quest. I like it because it is a good way to split up the team. And can lead to hilarious outcomes.

See my thread on this http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=2864
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:

Postby Lemmeron » August 5th, 2015, 11:24 pm

This has been one of the least favorite quest of my family.

they cleared all the rooms easy enough, but got stuck with dice rolls for ages to get out again.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Lemmeron

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 6th, 2015, 12:03 am

Yeah, getting out is kind of a drag, but I love it because it takes the dungeon questing in a different direction.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » August 6th, 2015, 1:40 am

The good:
* It makes a strong statement for the unlimited craziness you can do simply with quest notes. This is a very important point!
* If nothing else it sure plays a lot different than most other quests.
* It lets the party experience to be alone.

The bad:
* The whole rolling dice and looking up where to go is a little tedious. This is a minor offence.
* Getting out can be a chore.
* The wizard can get unlucky and meet the chaos warrior alone.

The ugly:
* The entire premise of the quest is bullshit! Venture into a dangerous magical castle to search for some myth?
* If someone is greedy enough to try to carry the gold he is at danger - AND the gold turns out to be fake! Come on!
* The last point makes it a very boring quest to replay. You've discovered Ollar's goldmine; you may take... I DON'T CARE!
(You can sort of argue that it's really a quest for the Ring of Return if you play the NA version)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » August 6th, 2015, 2:03 am

The quest itself has its perks, but IF it pulls too long like molten cheese, then the group is fraggled.
But the mechanic makes for some very interesting possibilities. For example, you can sprinkle the coincidences into any quest you like and build a quest in such a way that the heroes are coincidentally seperated.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 6th, 2015, 11:58 am

I like the castle of mystery a lot. It is so different from the usual game play that it really provides an extra portion of fun.
Then, it is like a modern film with two major plot points. The first when they find out that they get beamed around, the second when they see it is fool's gold.

It has three little problems you can easily avoid: the wizard may jump two times instead of one time, and if he discards a spell before, then he can reroll both his jump rolls. That way you avoid the wizard vs the two chaos warrior problem.

The molten cheese problem is solved, I think, by saying that the quest is over when all monsters are dead. By that you have two quest exits, one by really leaving and one by killing. That should do it.

And finally, you may allow the heroes to find 50 real gold coins among the 5000 fools gold coins.

I really like that quest!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » August 6th, 2015, 12:22 pm

I have never run the quest as it would really piss my players off no end. Just not worth the discord at the table for me to feel comfortable running such a dungeon.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » August 6th, 2015, 12:36 pm

If I have 5000GP in a dungeon and it is fake, the first thing they would assume is that the fake gold is a dodge for the real treasure somewhere in the dungeon.
I'd have them soon plotting to take the building apart brick by brick if needed.
When I ran the AD&D classic Tomb of Horrors after I took a few heads...the party left, then returned with a construction company of Dwarves, a few hundred religious pilgrims and a handful of highly skilled mercenaries.
They "tore the mountain down, and brought it to the town and raised a cathedral to the gods in praise. Can I get an Amen?".
I got a handful of out of the box thinkers who can get obsessed with ease.
5000 fake gold would be just such a thing.

You have to know your players and choose the dungeons wisely. If a dungeon would not fit well with your players, then move on to greener pastures.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Count Mohawk » August 6th, 2015, 1:48 pm

This was one of the first Quests I tried to run as the Evil Wizard player, some 10 years ago when I was an immature high school student. I made the one mistake you should never ever do with this Quest: during a side conversation about the gold mine about halfway through the Quest, I accidentally let slip that it wasn't real gold. Needless to say, the Quest ended soon afterwards. Fortunately, the Heroes at my table were my siblings and cousins, with whom I seldom play the same game more than twice (because we only see each other around the holidays).

I always liked the idea of the Quest, though. It's a very different experience from most of the others in the base set - rather than slay monsters, your objective is to get filthy stinking rich! If you count the victory condition as "bring at least one sack of gold from the mine to the entrance", it's also possible to complete it without slaying a single monster (first Hero gets an 8 going through the portal, then a 2 or 12 to return - a 0.8% chance). And finally, it's the only Quest that plays exactly the same whether you use a static board or a modular board.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems