• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Courage Spell

Postby lestodante » Sunday July 19th, 2020 5:37pm

I guess the correct interpretation is to be searched by checking all the version of the cards. In the US version of the Fire spells are weaker than the Eur version but the translation may be doubtful, so I go checking for other versions too. In the 1989 release of the game the Courage lasts only 1 turn, working on the next attack and nothing more. With the second release of the game, in 1990, they clearly increased the potential of the spell (and rock Skin too) by extending the time the spell stay active and the hero can take advantage of its benefit, until the spell is broken. And the spell is broken when that hero can no longer see monsters. So the hero can continue to attack with 2 extra dice for several turns until he no longer can see monsters.
Sometimes the translations are weird: in the Italian edition there was not enough space on the card to write "the spell is then discarded" on the Sleep spell. A player that is reading the text in a very meticolous way may intend that Sleep is never discarded. As we obviously know that this is not correct.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » Sunday July 19th, 2020 6:10pm

lestodante wrote:I guess the correct interpretation is to be searched by checking all the version of the cards.
No, each version is clearly different and has its very own rules specific to that version so you obviously can't use one version to decide how an entirely different version with entirely different rules works.

lestodante wrote:With the second release of the game, in 1990, they clearly increased the potential of the spell (and rock Skin too) by extending the time the spell stay active and the hero can take advantage of its benefit, until the spell is broken. And the spell is broken when that hero can no longer see monsters. So the hero can continue to attack with 2 extra dice for several turns until he no longer can see monsters.
Exactly, they changed it for that version. They changed it again in the US version, they kept the spell being broken when there's no monster in sight and made the extra attack dice for your next attack.

lestodante wrote:Sometimes the translations are weird: in the Italian edition there was not enough space on the card to write "the spell is then discarded" on the Sleep spell. A player that is reading the text in a very meticolous way may intend that Sleep is never discarded. As we obviously know that this is not correct.
It didn't need translating for the US edition, they speak English, more or less. They changed the wording for a reason, descriptions tend to have different meanings when they have different words. It doesn't require anything close to meticulous reading to spot that you get the extra dice on your next attack. I'm sure the Italian sleep spell doesn't read as never being discarded.

I still can't find the fraggling gargoyle! :x
Last edited by Daedalus on Tuesday June 1st, 2021 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forum language rule
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Saturday July 25th, 2020 3:02pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I still can't find the fraggling gargoyle! :x

i stopped looking. was sure to find more once i realised how it works. NOPE!
Last edited by Daedalus on Tuesday June 1st, 2021 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forum language rule in quote

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Sunday July 26th, 2020 8:47am

Gold Bearer wrote:No, each version is clearly different and has its very own rules specific to that version so you obviously can't use one version to decide how an entirely different version with entirely different rules works.

I probably explained uncorrectly. All the European versions are the same, the only differences are 1989 and 1990 releases. US version is the only very different version.
I meant that if I have doubt on a card it can be because of a bad translation (there are a lot of mistakes in the Italian version) so I go checking for the original release or other translation. But not on the US version because is very different and it will not help me to clear my doubts.
Then it's obvious, everyone can play as he prefers, according to the rest of his team.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Game Systems