• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Courage Spell

Postby lestodante » September 2nd, 2023, 8:19 pm

We could only guess what the logic was behind the changes. As we sayd in previous posts, the more we are, the more different opinions we have.
The team behind the conversion from UK to US version probably liked to have similar effects caused by spells or potions but similar.
I like the idea spells are more powerful than an equivalent potion. A potion may emulate the effect of a spell but not completely.
Rock Skin may be cast on the start of the quest and could remain active for the whole quest, unless you are wounded (which may occurr at anytime).
I could cast Rock Skin on myself to prepare for the battle, make a step and fall into a pit trap losing 1 BP and Rock Skin at the same time.
You can drink a Potion of Defense just before rolling the dice to defend, but works only once.
With Courage it was probably intended to have a similar but different efefct than a potion of Strength but they worded the text a way that is still doubt after 30 years.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » September 5th, 2023, 2:47 pm

To me it's simple... if you want the spells to be weaker, and the same instead as Potions (as they were in the 1st EU edition) you can play it that way. To me the wording strongly implies instead that they were evolving the usage of these spells instead towards something greater, where the effects lasted longer than a single use. This makes them much more powerful of course.

But each regional version has its own strengths, weaknesses and quirks. I was shocked to learn that Avalon Bill (and presumably the rest of the design team this year) viewed Courage as expiring after a single attack (and presumably was even weaker than a Potion of Strength because it can also be cancelled if there are no monsters within LOS, even before it was used??). But he also admitted that you can play how you want to.

Don't get me wrong, I like some things in other editions that I incorporate into my NA/Remake edition games. For instance searching corridors for treasure (I think the art of the "old boot" which no longer exists on the new board was a clue they intended it from the beginning) was allowed in 1st edition, and prohibited in all other editions, but I allow it (one such search for each section of corridor). Very few players play everything exactly according to the rules as written these days so I think I'm in good company there.

I like the idea of Spells that are not just identical to the potions you find in the treasure deck, but I can also see the logic of playing it that way. Certainly it was crystal clear in the EU 2nd Edition that these spells were meant to last more than one turn, potentially (if you kept seeing monsters with courage, you could keep attacking with the extra bonus, just like if you hadn't taken damage you could still keep defending with the extra bonus with Rock Skin).

Since there exists this "controversy" and "confusion" it's probably a good idea for each Zargon/Morcar to clarify it early on, especially in a mixed group who comes from these different schools of rule thought, to keep it consistent and avoid arguments for that particular session/table.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 5th, 2023, 3:14 pm

I have, and will, always play courage as a potentially lasting spell.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » September 6th, 2023, 5:06 am

As I often say, obviously an EWP can play the game anyway that they like, but I'm interested in using the collective wisdom and experience on this site to identify issues that arise during play, hear and understand how individual EWPs have chosen to handle that, and then compare and contrast to find "a better way" to implement in my own games.

I don't see the point of having all this wisdom and experience on tap and just blindly playing my games, hitting issues and making tweaks or interpretations on the fly and then later realising that the tweak or interpretation is flawed and having to explain to my players that last time this happened it was handled one way but now we are handling it a different way...so your hero that died, wouldn't now have died under the new rules! Or yes that 2 hour quest was dull and boring, sorry you don't want to play HQ again but it turns out if I had done a little research before the game then a couple of tweaks would have made it a great session, can we get together to do it again but this time properly...

Kurgan wrote:To me it's simple... if you want the spells to be weaker, and the same instead as Potions (as they were in the 1st EU edition) you can play it that way. To me the wording strongly implies instead that they were evolving the usage of these spells instead towards something greater, where the effects lasted longer than a single use. This makes them much more powerful of course.

But each regional version has its own strengths, weaknesses and quirks. I was shocked to learn that Avalon Bill (and presumably the rest of the design team this year) viewed Courage as expiring after a single attack (and presumably was even weaker than a Potion of Strength because it can also be cancelled if there are no monsters within LOS, even before it was used??). But he also admitted that you can play how you want to.

I don't agree that the (NA edition) wording "The next time that Hero attacks, he may roll two extra combat dice" strongly implies that it lasts longer than a single use, and from your quote it appears that Avalon Bill (and presumably the rest of the design team this year) don't agree either.

Kurgan wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like some things in other editions that I incorporate into my NA/Remake edition games. For instance searching corridors for treasure (I think the art of the "old boot" which no longer exists on the new board was a clue they intended it from the beginning) was allowed in 1st edition, and prohibited in all other editions, but I allow it (one such search for each section of corridor). Very few players play everything exactly according to the rules as written these days so I think I'm in good company there.

Again no issue with you playing this way as a EWP, but extending searching to include corridors, increases the consumption of treasure cards, 4 searches per room (one each hero) plus on per corridor section means that your 14 "good" cards will run out after the first few rooms (and corridor sections), at that point do your players just carry on and not bother to search, what stops them from just turning round at this point when they are probably just 3 rooms in, leaving the dungeon, buying a load of equipment and then coming back in again?

How do you track which corridors (and rooms) have been searched and how many times and by which heroes?

Kurgan wrote:I like the idea of Spells that are not just identical to the potions you find in the treasure deck, but I can also see the logic of playing it that way. Certainly it was crystal clear in the EU 2nd Edition that these spells were meant to last more than one turn, potentially (if you kept seeing monsters with courage, you could keep attacking with the extra bonus, just like if you hadn't taken damage you could still keep defending with the extra bonus with Rock Skin).

Have you changed the Swift Wind spell so that it is different from the Potion of Speed?

I agree that it was crystal clear in the EU 2nd Edition that these spells were meant to potentially last more than one turn, but Rock Skin also had the potential to never end, and Courage was too powerful in that almost every quest with a "boss fight" in SE ended with Wizard casting Courage on Barbarian, Barbarian killing Boss and his entourage which became repetitive and diminished the fun. If you want to stick with Courage as a potentially lasting spell then I would suggest reducing it to +1AD, consistent with Rock Skin, and making the "break conditions" clearer, do you for example have to check the seeing/LOS status of the hero "under the influence" every time the EWP moves a monster?

Kurgan wrote:Since there exists this "controversy" and "confusion" it's probably a good idea for each Zargon/Morcar to clarify it early on, especially in a mixed group who comes from these different schools of rule thought, to keep it consistent and avoid arguments for that particular session/table.

Agreed, which is why I am documenting my house rules.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Game Systems