• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The one year age rise in playing Hero Quest the core games.

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

The one year age rise in playing Hero Quest the core games.

Postby Hero_Of_Retro » May 24th, 2013, 3:25 pm

For some reason.. (Small parts more than likely) The end of the 80's.. early 90's saw a lot of disappointed 9 year old's lol. :gargoyle:
PIC: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Well.. at least now, most of the fans are older now and it is more than likely this change would of had no effect at all! Just a random observation. :skeleton:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Hero_Of_Retro

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: The one year age rise in playing Hero Quest the core gam

Postby Ethica » May 24th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Perhaps a marketing decision?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby InSpectreRetro » May 18th, 2023, 3:41 pm

Are there any known or documented differences in the 9yr old and 10yr old copies of the 4101 US edition?

Reviving a long dead thread, but its the first thread I found regarding this difference.

Trying to find out before spending the money to find out firsthand.
Zargon > Grimdead > Morcar

Frozen Horror Solo Quests Converted to Group Quests - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uh286B5UHDb7POdwfL9okiecegSOgHMa/view?usp=share_link

Mage of the Mirror Solo Quests Converted to Group Quests - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vw2J8k5xUuHq77b1KOasNPVCZAg1bvec/view?usp=share_link
InSpectreRetro

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby SirRick » May 18th, 2023, 3:49 pm

I am not really sure what is being discussed here. The link above does not work for me. Are there variations of the original NA versions of the game?

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby InSpectreRetro » May 18th, 2023, 4:23 pm

Yes. At the very least, there is an edition that says 9 years & old we and another that says 10 years and older. Both are 4101.

Frozen Horror Solo Quests Converted to Group Quests - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uh286B5UHDb7POdwfL9okiecegSOgHMa/view?usp=share_link

Mage of the Mirror Solo Quests Converted to Group Quests - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vw2J8k5xUuHq77b1KOasNPVCZAg1bvec/view?usp=share_link
InSpectreRetro

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby InSpectreRetro » May 18th, 2023, 4:50 pm

Here are pics of both lids
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

InSpectreRetro

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby SirRick » May 18th, 2023, 5:31 pm

I have two copies of the NA versions, but I don’t have both in the same place, so I can’t compare them. They are probably 10 and up versions. All I can say is I was about 10 when I got my first copy for Christmas, and I had no idea how to play this game at the time. The instructions seemed so long my 10 year-old mind couldn’t read through them in one sitting.

My guess is the age was raised from 9 to 10 because 9 seems a little young to be learning this game on your own without playing it with someone with previous experience.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » May 29th, 2023, 12:19 pm

I would imagine the standards have changed. Maybe an over religious mother of a 9-year old complained and they changed the age requirements.
You know the parents that attacked D&D in its heyday? It could've just been one of them complaining that the box artwork was too scary for her 9-year old.

Maybe I'm wrong but sometimes it's the simplest explanation that works.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » May 30th, 2023, 6:31 pm

There are two different boxes from 1989 European versions, the first released is for 9+ years old, and the later one is for 10+ years old.

I didn't know it was also the same situation for NA edition of the game, always thought there were only 10+ versions.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » January 29th, 2024, 1:07 pm

I don't know if it had anything to do with the HeroQuest situation, but I once read an interview with a Lego designer who worked on classic Space sets in the 1980s and 1990s.

If I remember right, he said that he had to be careful about the complexity of the building instructions and techniques, because children have very definite developmental milestones that the Lego Group were well aware of. A typical seven-year-old would struggle to understand a certain spatial concept, but an eight-year-old would immediately grasp it. A year could make a big difference.

He knew that every year, there would be a new crop of seven-year-olds, so he had to keep each year's new sets aimed at the same level instead of making them more complicated.

Presumably similar things are taken into account in boardgames intended for kids.
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Game Systems