• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Random Events / Attack Roll Fumble

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Attack Roll Fumble

Postby torilen » September 12th, 2013, 9:08 am

hey now - that old B&W d&d art is some of my favorite stuff - very nostalgic, you know. Old school feel to it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Malcadon » September 12th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Sjeng wrote:come on man, the right guy has a 'stache! A 'STACHE! That makes this picture 100% cool.

Examples?

Magnum P.I. = cool
Burt Reynolds = cool
John Cleese = hella cool!

At least Tom Selleck, Burt Reynolds and John Cleese have nice thick, even mustaches. The guy in the picture looked like every '80s guy trying to sport one like just like them, but coming out looking like the Stapler Guy from Office Space.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » September 13th, 2013, 6:45 am

Brilliant movie!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Malcadon » September 13th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Sjeng wrote:Brilliant movie!

Every time I watch it, I get the urge to bust-up my printer with a bat while listening to gangsta rape. ;)

Rewards:
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » September 13th, 2013, 6:09 pm

listening to gangsta rape...

listening... to gangsta rape...

oh my!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Malcadon » September 14th, 2013, 2:03 am

Goblin-King wrote:listening to gangsta rape...

oh my!

Are you pointing out my mistake, or are you asking for something? :twisted:

Rewards:
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Schmidt » September 14th, 2013, 2:37 am

With a bat

With..... a bat

With..... a bat

Oh my... poor animal

Rewards:
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 14th, 2013, 10:32 am

Malcadon wrote:How about using the "wild die" concept from WEG's D6 RPG system? Where no matter how many dice you roll, one die must be assigned as a "wild die," which is marked or colored differently from the other dice. If you roll a 1 (or in this case, a Black Shield) on the "wild die," then there is a minor complication that hinders the character in some way... In your case, the attacker loose a single Body Point, but there is room for other complications. This is not effected by larger dice rolls, as only one die is effected in any given roll, and the odds remain the same....

...I bring this rule (with ideas to expand upon it) here to introduce it to a wider audience, and to get more feedback on it. So if this rule - whole or in part - interests you, then what do you think about it?

Another way to use a "wild die" critical hit is to count doubles on the movement dice (a 1 in 6 chance). This variant requires the movement dice to be rolled every turn, either as part of normal movement or after a successfully rolled attack without movement. A critical hit allows a Hero to reroll skull results for extra hits.

This doesn't work as well with monsters, as they don't have a movement roll and it removes the focus from the Heroes. For balance, fumbles could also be incorporated. Double 1s, 2s, and 3s could result in a fumble, while double 4s, 5s, and 6s would net a critical. A fumble forfeits a Hero's action that turn, resulting in no hits.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2014, 2:15 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:A few of my favourites....
(the text needs a bit of work.

I want more!! :D please send me the originals.

Also some ideas from an ancient thread:

Zeno wrote:An abbreviated version of my Mishaps Table:

Roll 2d6 (red dice)

2) Wandering Monster per the quest notes with half movement (round up) remaining appears from around a corner generally ahead of the Heroes and attacks the closest Hero, if it can.
3) A random Hero discovers a hole in his money pouch and loses 50% (or as close as possible, but 10 gold value minimum) of his carried monetary loot.
4) A rat pops out of its hole and bites a random Hero on the leg. Roll a combat die: skull = lose 1 Body Point, white shield = no effect, black shield = disease. Diseased Heroes lose 1 Body Point immediately, and 1 more BP every 5th of that Hero's turn thereafter until cured by a Potion of Restoration (either type).
5) A random Hero twists an ankle and subtracts 1 from movement rolls (1 minimum) thereafter until healed with a spell or potion (any potion/spell that cures BP will do). This effect is cumulative if rolled again.
6) A gust of wind blows out the Heroes' torches. A random Hero loses his next turn relighting them.
7) Slippery patch on the floor here makes each Hero subtract 2 from their next movement roll (1 minimum).
8) Decaying matter on the wall makes a random Hero nauseous. Until the effects are overcome, he subtracts 1 die (1 die minimum) from all combat rolls. The effects may be overcome immediately or on his subsequent turns by rolling a 5 or 6 on a red die, or by drinking a Potion of Warmth.
9) A loose stone in the ceiling falls amidst the Heroes. Roll a red die- on a 1-4 it hits the corresponding Hero, a 5-6 is a near miss (no effect). The hit Hero rolls a combat die- he loses 1 BP on a black shield if he is wearing a helmet, or on a skull if no helmet is worn.
10) A random Hero blunts or warps one of his non-artifact weapons (also randomly chosen). The damaged weapon loses 1 combat die of effectiveness. If reduced to 0 combat dice, it is destroyed. Damaged metal weapons, if not destroyed, may be repaired between quests at a cost of 25% of the weapon's purchase cost per combat die restored.
11) A random hero trips and falls and breaks a random potion bottle if he carries one. If no potions are carried, roll a combat die and subtract 1 BP if a skull is rolled.
12) Wandering Monster as (2) above, except it appears generally behind the Heroes.

Ongoing ill effects are automatically cured between Quests.

Zeno.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » February 16th, 2014, 7:21 am

I've made some more EU Evil Wizard cards, based on Road Warrior and Chaotic Primes ideas. I'm almost ready to make a PDF, but I wanted to make some more.
Does anyone have a good idea for this card?

And I need some line art images for Rats! and Bats! and an idea for the card. Perhaps simply a monster, or maybe an effect of some kind.

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems