• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Warhammer World Campaign Setting and Lore

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Warhammer World Campaign Setting and Lore

Postby Patroclus » January 6th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Warhammer World Campaign Setting and Lore

Postby Patroclus » January 6th, 2013, 5:41 pm

The first image is from the back cover of the Return of Witch Lord. The other images are from Warhammer Quest (roleplay book). A more detailed map, with many towns and locations of some importance(which I don’t know). I usually play with locations from my imagination but it could be good to know if there is any book like those from DnD with the campaign setting and lore (as the forgotten realms campaign setting bellow, for example). Actually I don’t like much the Warhammer world, because it’s full of so many goblins and orcs... and few other races, but this does not mean that I can’t do changes.

Where can I find more information for those maps?
Last edited by Patroclus on June 25th, 2014, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 2:07 am

always good to see more lore! There's a good blog about it here: http://explainingtheoldworld.wordpress.com/

another map in colour:

Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 7th, 2013, 4:35 am

Is the world of Heroquest the world of Warhammer? This topic has been discussed quite some times, and one time I dedicated a thread to it.
If so, there is an abundance of background material out there. Try the Lexicanum, the semi-official online source. Written comprehensive world descriptions you can find in every edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I'd advise you to search Ebay for an older edition. The current 8th edition is extremely expensive (there are bootlegged pdf versions for download, but these only cover the tabletop rules and omit the campaign setting information), and the world of Warhammer hasn't changed so much.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 6:32 am

I think they are the same. The map in the booklet is clear enough in my opinion.

PS: that Forgotten Realms picture is an entirely different world: Faerûn. The world of Drizzt amongst others :)
A shame that those worlds are different. I love Faerûn.

I am SO printing the old world map on A0 at work today :D

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » January 7th, 2013, 7:43 am

I agree with Sjeng, the map is the greatest proof. As you can see it is exactly the same map as Warhammer Quest’s map, or any other Warhammer map on the internet. It is the Old World or else Europe, as we can see in the mini-map. America seems to have the dark elves and the lizard men :lol: (as I’ve found in the blog that Sjeng said), and the high elves live on an island in the middle (maybe it’s the Atlantis? I don’t know...)

The blog that Sjeng said, is almost exactly what I needed but only if it has more details. A book of world’s campaign settings should have good details for locations or names of famous NPCs that can give you new ideas. For example, if there is a famous location with two mountain peaks that each has a gigantic skull on the top, someone could think to make a quest with some scripts on a wall with two skulls and a treasure between them, so to give a clue for where to find it.

But I don’t think that Warhammer Fantasy Battle has pages for the lore, maybe I am wrong, but if someone has the book, he could tell us.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 7:57 am

this is a pretty cool map resource! http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/warhammer-maps.html

Big Bene wrote:Written comprehensive world descriptions you can find in every edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I'd advise you to search Ebay for an older edition.

So, which book should I need if I wanted as many maps and lore as possible? An all-in-one lore + maps book?

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » January 7th, 2013, 9:24 am

Sjeng wrote:So, which book should I need if I wanted as many maps and lore as possible? An all-in-one lore + maps book?
There is't such a thing for Warhammer. Remember, Warhammer is published by GW, and GW is at first a money making machine for it's sharholders. You always have to buy more than one book. The basic rulebook is a good starting point for an overall description of the world, it's history and backgrounds. I don't know all editions, but I own the third one, which contains quite some information. For more detailed information / maps about the empire (the HeroQuest setting) you should perhaps refer to the empire army book and the Warhammer roleplaying game.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » January 7th, 2013, 2:58 pm

I've done some looking around. It appears that the "lore" of heroquest would not follow Warhammer.
It would, instead, follow Warhammer Quest. According to the wikipedia entry (I know...not the most
reliable...but it is the most accessible), Warhammer Quest is supposed to be the successor to HQ and
Advanced HQ. The game actually came with a roleplay book that went into detail on some of the lore,
as well as everyday events that could take place during game play.

You can find an electronic replica of the roleplay book here:
http://users.telenet.be/WHQ_TheHouse/Do ... 0v1.01.pdf

I haven't read much of it yet...it does actually mention the empire and chaos sorcerers, though...so this
might have some truth to it.
Hope that helps.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » January 7th, 2013, 4:34 pm

I find all of this very interesting, but sometimes I have to step back and say "maybe it's just a board game by Milton Bradley".
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems