• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby Goblin-King » October 17th, 2011, 5:19 am

Sometimes a gargoyle is in stoneform and can't move, attack or be attacked.
But do you tell the players "The gargoyle in this room is made of stone..."?
Or do they have to waste a turn attacking it just to realize it is in stoneform? They may suspect that it is made of stone but dare not avoid attacking it just in case it's alive.
And does a stoneform gargoyle count as a monster in regard to searching?

Personally I would say: Tell the players And allow searching.

But would like to hear what others do. And if there might be some rule I hadn't seen yet ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Do you tell if a Gargoyles is in stoneform?

Postby AerynB » October 17th, 2011, 8:07 pm

This is a great question, and I'd like to know the answer too. I don't get a chance to play with a lot of groups, mostly just my husband and he's not much of an RPG guy, so I tend to give him breaks on the rules. Anyway, at first when we went through the main system of quests, I think I told him when a Gargoyle was a statue. But recently we've been going through the Kellar's Keep quests and I don't tell him when the Gargoyle is a statue. This sort of backfired on me in quest 7. When he attacked the Gargoyle and it wasn't harmed, he correctly figured it was a statue. However, I had added a treasure chest to the room, and he figured the Gargoyle would come to life if he opened the chest. But that wasn't going to happen and he missed out on the treasure.

I forget my point. :( I guess, you kind of have to adjust the rules based on who you're playing with.
Sorry. I wish I was more help.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » October 17th, 2011, 8:59 pm

AerynB wrote:This is a great question, and I'd like to know the answer too. I don't get a chance to play with a lot of groups, mostly just my husband and he's not much of an RPG guy, so I tend to give him breaks on the rules. Anyway, at first when we went through the main system of quests, I think I told him when a Gargoyle was a statue. But recently we've been going through the Kellar's Keep quests and I don't tell him when the Gargoyle is a statue. This sort of backfired on me in quest 7. When he attacked the Gargoyle and it wasn't harmed, he correctly figured it was a statue. However, I had added a treasure chest to the room, and he figured the Gargoyle would come to life if he opened the chest. But that wasn't going to happen and he missed out on the treasure.

I forget my point. :( I guess, you kind of have to adjust the rules based on who you're playing with.

HQ quote of the day!
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby AerynB » October 17th, 2011, 10:02 pm

cynthialee wrote:
AerynB wrote:I forget my point. :( I guess, you kind of have to adjust the rules based on who you're playing with.

HQ quote of the day!

*giggles* I suppose I did just say something on the order of 'duh,' didn't I? :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » October 18th, 2011, 6:45 am

Valid point there! I didn't want to attack the gargoyle in the first quest where he's a statue, because I was afraid he'd come to life, without me harming him at all. But if I didn't attack, it might turn out to be not a statue at all, and attack me in the next round... I always like to have first strike, to minimize my damage.
But I have 2 gargoyle miniatures, so I'm going to paint one as a statue, and another as a living creature. That way, you don't have to say anything :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 18th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Just figured a justification for buying a dagger or 2. Shuck it at the suspected Gargoyle (hopefully hitting it) and put at least 7 squares between you and it. If it's stone it won't react. If it's a monster it will defend and fall short trying to get at you for payback (or it will run for cover). You can roll movement dice on the next turn and do it again if possible, otherwise charge and get that first strike in.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » October 20th, 2011, 7:01 am

Daedalus wrote:Just figured a justification for buying a dagger or 2. Shuck it at the suspected Gargoyle (hopefully hitting it) and put at least 7 squares between you and it. If it's stone it won't react. If it's a monster it will defend and fall short trying to get at you for payback (or it will run for cover). You can roll movement dice on the next turn and do it again if possible, otherwise charge and get that first strike in.

Unless it's an American Gargoyle, and Zargon decides to simply take the damage and not let the players know, and attack as soon as the players are colse enough ;)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 21st, 2011, 5:22 am

Looking through the books, almost all gargoyles has some special quest note...
I'm considering to just make it a general house-rule that gargoyles can never be hurt until they have either moved or attacked.
That way there can be no confusion, and it still makes kinda sense.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » October 21st, 2011, 8:01 am

Interesting thread, this. I feel the poor old Gargoyle is a bit of a lost soul in HQ. He does not figure in many quests, and who among us can truthfully say, the Gargoyle is at the forefront of any quests he builds?
In the Advanced game are rooms called Hazard Rooms. One of these contains a Statue, which can be likened to our lonely Gargoyle. The Statue stands, with a single gigantic ruby as one eye. Any Hero can attempt to remove the ruby, by rolling a D12. A number of Results can happen, depending on the dice roll.
To simplify this, for Hero Quest, imagine this scenario. Our Hero enters a room containing a Gargoyle. In its hand, it clutches a Gigantic Ruby, worth X number of Gold Coins. Our Hero decides to try to steal the Ruby. He rolls a Combat Dice.
A Skull, the Gargoyle springs to life, and immediately attacks, normal stats.
A White Shield, the Hero takes the Ruby.
A Black Shield, the Ruby cannot be freed.
If the Gargoyle is killed in combat, the Ruby falls down a crack in the floor, and is lost.
Comments?
:2cents: :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » October 21st, 2011, 9:37 am

I would allow the player who killed the gargoyle to roll off a d6 against the GM and if the player can beat the GM then they may have the ruby.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next