• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Moving monsters on Zargon's turn

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Moving monsters on Zargon's turn

Postby Daedalus » October 8th, 2011, 5:59 pm

I was wondering if Zargon needs to individually move and attack with each monster as the Heroes do, or if he has the lattitude to have monster groups attack together and then move together. As an example, say a Barbarian with 1 or 2 Body Points and a Dwarf are 3 squares apart in an empty room, both fighting adjacent against 2 Orcs each. If the Orcs haven't moved yet and the first Orc's attack fails, can Zargon hold it's move in order to see how the other Orc's attack fares against the Barbarian? If the second Orc's attack also fails, they both would stay on the Barbarian for the next turn. If the second Orc kills the Barbarian, then both Orcs could move adjacent to the Dwarf to surround and try to finish him off next turn.

For reference, here's an obligatory rules quote found on p. 21of the North American Instruction Booklet under Zargon, The Evil Sorcerer's Turn:

Zargon, only after ALL 4 Heroes have
completed a turn is it your turn. You
may then move every monster currently
on the gameboard. Like Heroes, mon-
sters may move and perform an action,
OR may perform an action an then
move. A monster cannot move part way,
perform an action, and then finish
its movement.

My understanding is that Zargon has the flexibility within his turn to have groups of monsters attack, and then move together in tandem. I think the whole "Like Heroes" part of the rule only insures that a monster doesn't move, attack, and move in the same turn. All monster moves are done within Zargon's single turn, but no part of the rule states that it is necessary to finish a monster's attack/move combo before proceeding to another monster's attack/move combo.

Has anyone tried having monsters attacking together and then moving together before, or is it too rare of a situation to be a useful tactic? Are there other situations that could exploit this tactical advantage of Zargon's, perhaps to be put in a Quest?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Moving monsters on Zargon's turn

Postby cynthialee » October 8th, 2011, 7:19 pm

All monster moves are done within Zargon's single turn, but no part of the rule states that it is necessary to finish a monster's attack/move combo before proceeding to another monster's attack/move combo.

Do as you will. Use every tactical advantage you can to make the game chalenging as can be.
:)
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » October 9th, 2011, 5:07 am

It's a good point Daedalus.

I've never considere it before so I must be doing it one way or another. I think I move all monsters first, then work out the attacks.

Heroes do seem to have an advantage in that they can see how a battle goes before joining in or going to attack a different monster. But, imagine there are 20 goblins, it doesn't seem realistic that the heroes would have to wait for 20 individual monsters to move-attack, move-attack, move-attack etc. before they can respond.

If any GM feels that things are weighted too much in favour of the heroes, they can always chuck in more monsters.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » October 9th, 2011, 7:10 am

I would never play it like that. We always finish each monster one at a time.
I think it seems most logical - Monsters behave almost like players in most other situations; why not here?
It's up to Zargon to decide if he thinks the orcs have a chance to kill the barb or not :2cents:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » October 9th, 2011, 11:27 am

Goblin-King wrote:I would never play it like that. We always finish each monster one at a time.
I think it seems most logical - Monsters behave almost like players in most other situations; why not here?
It's up to Zargon to decide if he thinks the orcs have a chance to kill the barb or not :2cents:

Same here. Makes more sense to me.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby cynthialee » October 9th, 2011, 12:12 pm

I could see utilizing the sentient monsters in a tactical fashion.
The undead however would make a beeline to the clossest target and stay on it until the target or the undead perished. No thought to tactics should be made for an undead horde unless they are being directed by a more powerful leader type like a gargoyle, or chaos mage.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » October 9th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Although it's not stated literally, I'd say it's a fairly save guess that the authors meant the monsters to move/action one at a time, just as the heroes do.
The European version puts it a little different:
HeroQuest Rules of Play, page 6 wrote:On his turn, the evil wizard player moves some or all of his monsters currently on the gameboard. He moves each monster inturn. Monsters may first move then attack, or attack and then move as do the player characters.
This even more seems to suggest that one monster has to finish his move and action before the next one can take turn, but it's still not absolutely clear.

Anyhow, when for some reason it would be better to stick to the original rules (HeroQuest tournament on a games convention? Wishful thinking...) I would definitely move the monsters one at a time.
But as always, everyone is free to house-rule anything he/she likes. If you think it more realistic or interestinng to give the monsters more tactical possibilities, move ahead!
Last edited by Big Bene on October 6th, 2013, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed quote tag
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » October 10th, 2011, 3:20 am

I'd say the rules are pretty definate that each monster moves and fights one at a time. I still won't be playing it that way though.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Using my "Scrolls of Battle" items (you have to locate each scroll, that gives your heroes new abilities as a team), I also gave the monsters new abilities for tactics.

Surround the player and you gain black dice to use for attacking.

Group together when firing ranged weapons and you gain black dice

Group together when defending, you gain blue dice. Basically...

But each monster still does his movement & attack one at a time, like always.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Official Rules