• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Japanese Edition Official Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

HeroQuest Japanese Edition Official Rules

Postby HispaZargon » December 16th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Dear all Ye Olde Inn members,

After the original 1989's European game system and the later 1990's American one, the 1991's Japanese Edition is considered for many of us the third known game system of HeroQuest since it included many changes to the other two game systems, which affected to all the game topics: rules, story, characters, equipment, etc. (related Bob-bob's thread here)

The original content of this Japanese Edition was of course only released in Japanese language, so its rules, story and cards have been kept so hidden for most of us for decades. Fortunately, the HeroQuest fans worldwide community is strong and legendary!, so a group of several fans have been working hard to rescue and translate the original content during last years. Well, who knows the origin of all of this... the Loretome says that first English translation discussions appeared in the classical OldScratch forum... old rumours say HeroQuest's Germany fans community performed the first translations to their language... and of course here in the Inn, many brave members were working on new translation drafts to English, as far as I know since year 2011... All of those works were impressive! but most of them included addons, changes in the original rules, were incomplete or did not have the style and quality I think a translation of this HeroQuest edition should have...

I guess all the vintage HeroQuest material is an important part of board games history so all of it should be accesible for all fans in a worthy manner. This idea led me during last summer to start working in a new translation project of the Japanese Edition content, but this time trying to preserve as much accurate as possible the original meaning of the Japanese texts, the original aesthetic of its components and the overall original charm and style of this exotic edition, but in a language all of us could understand. I also took the opportunity to clean and improve the look of the original available scans since they were not too enjoyable as I found them.

Then, I am glad to open this thread to summarize and provide the access to all the available content in the Inn about 1991's Japanese Edition of HeroQuest, including the translated files I created and I have already shared in other separate Inn's related threads. I hope the dark times of the Japanese Edition will pass away with this post :-)

I would like to take again the opportunity to say THANKS to all those HeroQuest fans who have participated in all previous translation works or original content sharing. Doing my translation project could not have been possible without their works. I also want to acknowledge to all the Inn members who directly helped me on this project, especially Daedalus and Kurgan, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Most of the original raw scans I have been working with of Japanese Edition components were provided in year 2013 by HQ-Killy, from Flint's German hq-cooperation.de forum, and knightkrawler through this post. All credit for them on such key task.

Finally, here you have the list of all the content of Japanese Edition of HeroQuest. Notice that you will only find there the basic game's box content since no expansions were released in Japan for the game:

HQ_Japanese_Edition_box_front_cover.jpg

- Box Covers : Japanese (raw) - English (v.1.2) / Japanese (raw) - Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Rules of Play : Japanese (raw) / English (v.1.5) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Quest Book : Japanese (raw) / English (v.1.2) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Screen : Japanese / English (v.1.1) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Character Boards (x4) : Japanese / English (v.1.2) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Monster Cards (x8) : Japanese / English (v.1.0) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Legendary Treasure Cards (x5) : Japanese / English (v.1.2) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Equipment Cards (x18) : Japanese / English (v.1.4) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Spell Cards (x12) : Japanese / English (v.1.2) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Treasure Cards (x21) : Japanese / English (v.1.1) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Character Sheets : Japanese / English (v.1.0) / Spanish (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

- Tiles : All languages (v.1.0) (more info and direct links in this thread)

Other translation / adaptation files available in the Inn about Japanese Edition:

- bastianbux & other Ye Olde Inn member's Japanese Edition Quest Book & Artifacts Cards adaptation to American rules and style known as 'Rise of the Chaos God' campaign, see this thread.

- JackieX & fenrir79's Japanese Edition Quest Book adaptation to European rules and style (German language), see this thread.

- JackieX & fenrir79's Japanese Edition Legendary Treasure adaptation to European rules and style (German language), see this thread.

- Sjeng's Japanese Edition Legendary Treasure Cards adaptation to European style, see this post.

- Sjeng's Japanese Edition Equipment Cards adaptation to European style, see this post.

Please, tell me if you think I should add anything more to the list I had forgotten, I will update this post as many times as necessary. Of course, comments or corrections are also welcome!

REMARK: I would like to remember that all these files are fan creations FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY, so selling printed or digital versions of them in any way or website like eBay or similar is not authorized in any case. Thank you for your comprehension.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HispaZargon on February 3rd, 2022, 9:11 pm, edited 38 times in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest Japanese Edition Official Rules

Postby HispaZargon » December 16th, 2021, 7:28 pm

For easier sharing, here you can also find a compilation of the same files listed in previous post, separated by languages:

JAPANESE LANGUAGE COMPILATION:

HeroQuest_Japanese_Edition_by_HispaZargon_2022-05-01.zip

ENGLISH LANGUAGE COMPILATION:

HeroQuest_Japanese_Edition_in_English_by_HispaZargon_2022-08-10.zip

SPANISH LANGUAGE COMPILATION:

HeroQuest_Japanese_Edition_in_Spanish_by_HispaZargon_2022-08-17.zip

REMARK: I would like to remember that all these files are fan creations FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY, so selling printed or digital versions of them in any way or website like eBay or similar is not authorized in any case. Thank you for your comprehension.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 17th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Very cool things HZ! You will be featured on our stream today for HeroQuestFans on twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/heroquestfans/schedule

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby therealshrek » December 17th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Very nice index for the Japanese version of the game.

It gets the "Conina the Barbarian"s 2 thumbs up of approval.
(Cant help it, as much as I like the original female Barbarian, the new blond female Arnold is a favorite, haha)
therealshrek

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby AngusMacBaine » December 18th, 2021, 4:50 pm

WOW! This is awesome! I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time you put into this. Can't wait to see it finished.
AngusMacBaine

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » December 20th, 2021, 7:25 pm

therealshrek wrote:Very nice index for the Japanese version of the game.

It gets the "Conina the Barbarian"s 2 thumbs up of approval.
(Cant help it, as much as I like the original female Barbarian, the new blond female Arnold is a favorite, haha)

Hahaha, sorry I don't know what are you talking about but it seems to be so funny.

Thank you therealshrek , AngusMacBaine & Kurgan.

Please, note that Legendary Treasure and Equipment cards translation to English have been updated to version v.1.2.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » December 23rd, 2021, 11:10 pm

Please, note that new links to Japanese Treasure cards and Japanese Treasure cards translation to English have been already added to the summary post.

Additionaly, Equipment cards translation to English file has been updated to version v.1.3.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » December 28th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Please, note that new links to Japanese cardboard Tiles, Japanese Spell cards, Japanese Spell cards translation to English have been already added to the summary post.

These new additions were the only peding ones in the Japanese Edition's components summary... I am so excited since I can confirm to all the fans that now we are able to play this edition of the HeroQuest game with all the required-to-play components translated to English, I think as more accurate to the original components than ever. Enjoy!!

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 28th, 2021, 5:30 pm

It's great to see the completion (minus any last minute adjustments) to this long-coming project. Congrats! :redheart: |_P

The question is, will any of this make it onto the Inn front pages for the "Japanese" translation section?

PS: Updated my quest fix NA file with credits (thanks HispaZargon!)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member