• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Removing Monsters from the Board

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Removing Monsters from the Board

Postby ChuckyMcNorris » July 18th, 2020, 1:39 am

When playing Zargon, does anyone remove monsters from the board when they are out of site of a hero and track their movement in the quest book? Thoughts on doing this?
Last edited by Daedalus on March 1st, 2021, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from General Discussion on 3/1/21.
ChuckyMcNorris

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Removing Monsters from the Board

Postby lestodante » July 18th, 2020, 6:39 am

Teorically the Heroes are not seeing the monsters anymore so they don't know their position. But no, I didn't remove their figures except it is a Chaos Sorcerer using an Escape spell.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 18th, 2020, 7:02 am

I did it for p-b-p and it worked really well. I'd probably do it for regular games too now, it makes sense and adds something cool to the game with no down side.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby juiceboxB » July 18th, 2020, 5:57 pm

I remove mine. I also "move" them based on their movement squares after the last hero's turn that way I can have them attack a hero when they round a corner and see them again.
juiceboxB

Hero:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » July 18th, 2020, 8:28 pm

No because most monsters don't have ranged attacks and won't get a chance to attack if they run especially once all 3 heroes can use a crossbow. In this game, Zargon needs to maximize the number of attacks he can get to do the most damage. Most also only have 1 bp.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ChuckyMcNorris » July 19th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Yeah, my thinking is the same as juicebox. Especially if I may not have any hope of causing any real damage early in the quest but if I can catch the weakened heroes on their way back to the staircase it can be a nice little surprise.
ChuckyMcNorris

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Maldeev1911 » July 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm

No I typically don't remove them, but it is an interesting idea.
I like it!
Maldeev1911

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Gold Bearer » July 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm

It's works really well, it's probably the best house rule there is in terms of doing the most with the least.

Jalapenotrellis wrote:No because most monsters don't have ranged attacks and won't get a chance to attack if they run especially once all 3 heroes can use a crossbow. In this game, Zargon needs to maximize the number of attacks he can get to do the most damage. Most also only have 1 bp.
That's all the more reason to move them out of sight, so they don't get shot before they can attack.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 1st, 2021, 10:17 am

ChuckyMcNorris wrote:When playing Zargon, does anyone remove monsters from the board when they are out of site of a hero and track their movement in the quest book? Thoughts on doing this?

Removing figures isn't explicitly stated, but there is this:

NA Instruction Booklet, p.7 under Quest Map wrote:. . . You will reveal the gameboard layout only when the Hero figures have moved to a position on the gameboard that requires you to reveal something.

I'd say there is no immediate requirement to remove revealed monsters once no Heroes can "see" them. Sure, Morcar/Zargon can keep tabs on their movement secretly, but this is easier if the monsters' last known locations are marked by the figures themselves and their fixed movement scores are used to calculate their new locations.

Should a Hero then move to "see" a monster figure that Morcar/Zargon has actually calculated to have moved away, then the monster figure is either
  1. put in the new space it has moved to if the Hero could "see" it there
  2. or it is then removed from the gameboard, as this is now required to show the new layout.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 1st, 2021, 11:16 am

Interesting attempt at a "fog of war" but I never have done it. More fun to snipe with crossbows and yes even though I use the evil wizard deck, I like to have monsters as Zargon!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next