• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Defending against the Orc's Bane

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Defending against the Orc's Bane

Postby Daedalus » March 1st, 2014, 6:58 pm

JasonMCM wrote:Moving on to the BQP rules for defending. Not being able to roll defense dice against the second attack doesn't mean that you cannot defend against it. Take the following example (using the Orc's Bane attacking the same orc twice.)

Hero's first attack
:skull: :whiteshield:
Orc's defensive roll
:blackshield: :blackshield:
Hero's second attack
:skull: :blackshield:

Results
After 1st attack the orc has taken no damage and has 1 :blackshield: in reserve for any additional attacks made by that hero. After the 2nd attack the orc still has taken no damage, but has no :blackshield: in reserve (Just in case the hero can magically attack a third time somehow).

I had never considered conserving defense dice was possible.
From p.14 of the NA Instruction Booklet, How a Monster Defends:

A defending monster rolls the
    number if Defend dice shown in
    the Monster Chart on the Information
    Screen. Each black shield rolled by the
    defending monster blocks 1 hit from the
    attacking Hero.
No mention of just blocking a single attack. I agree--unused black shields from defending Orc Bane's first attack can carry over for the second attack. I suppose this would also apply to casting a Genie spell and using a Genie spell scroll in the same turn as well. One defense against a Hero with two attacks, right? Or should spells with Attack Dice be treated differently?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby chaoticprime » March 1st, 2014, 10:36 pm

No. Dice rolls are always compared. You would have to have an option to "not defend". You must roll defense (or at least consider it rolled) regardless of the attack roll's results.

Attacking an orc with the broadsword would still be more effective, statistically.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » March 2nd, 2014, 2:18 am

Daedalus wrote:I agree--unused black shields from defending Orc Bane's first attack can carry over for the second attack.

Why? If that's your house rule then that's fine but the original rules don't say that. Logically speaking, if you attack and it prepared the perfect defence but you borked your attack then when you attack again, it has to defend again because its last defence means nothing.

Besides, both sets of original rules state that you only roll in defence if the target is hit.

chaoticprime wrote:No. Dice rolls are always compared. You would have to have an option to "not defend". You must roll defense (or at least consider it rolled) regardless of the attack roll's results.

Agreed.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » March 2nd, 2014, 7:41 am

Redav wrote:
Daedalus wrote:I agree--unused black shields from defending Orc Bane's first attack can carry over for the second attack.

Why? If that's your house rule then that's fine but the original rules don't say that. Logically speaking, if you attack and it prepared the perfect defence but you borked your attack then when you attack again, it has to defend again because its last defence means nothing.

Besides, both sets of original rules state that you only roll in defence if the target is hit.

What Deadalus and I were talking about only applies if you are using the multiple attack rules presented in the Barbarian Quest Pack.

In all honesty the more I use that rule the less I like it, and I think I, personaly, am going to move back to the 1 defense roll per 1 attack roll original rules side of the "how do you handle multiple attacks?" question.
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » March 2nd, 2014, 4:28 pm

JasonMCM wrote:What Deadalus and I were talking about only applies if you are using the multiple attack rules presented in the Barbarian Quest Pack.

Yup, rido. In the early quests I'm also a bit against making it easier for the heroes because get it easy as it is but I get the feeling that say the BQP is a bit tough.
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » March 3rd, 2014, 5:05 am

So I think we have agreed to disagree on what exactly the Orc's Bane really means. :D
I have made up a new card that shows how I currently think it should work.

I'm going to open a separate post about the layout of the card so don't comment on that here. Just on topic things. ;)

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 3rd, 2014, 5:40 am

This is my wording:

Orc's Bane
This 1-handed metal weapon lets you add 2 CD to your Base Attack.
After attacking a monster whose corresponding Monster Card includes the word "Orc" in its title, you may attack that monster a second time.
This weapon cannot be damaged by any spell effect.

It's about the second sentence. The detail in the ones before and after has to do with my redacting style, which serves the purpose to eliminate all interpretation of rules from my ruleset, which will be slightly altered in some and heavily in several respects.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » March 3rd, 2014, 6:57 am

Isn't it wonderful that we can get such different interpretations from the same card. :D

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Redav » March 3rd, 2014, 7:26 am

It is. Just shows the lack of play testing for the game. That said, I wonder if people pushed the limits of interpretations when it was published as much as now?
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » March 3rd, 2014, 8:17 am

Considering that it looks like the Europe version was a giant play test for the NA version...

Though I have to say, I'm playing through the dark company Play by Post with mostly European rules and am rather surprised at how Bad Ass the heroes are. You never could split the party like we are doing and live in a NA quest.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules