• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Is "see" the same thing as "line of sight?"

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Is "see" the same thing as "line of sight?"

Postby ajjohnsen » Wednesday March 31st, 2021 7:59am

Kurgan wrote:The "you can't hit adjacent character with your ranged weapon" (most spells have no such limitation) I think is purposeful balance issue, rather than based on any realism.

Sure, obviously in real life you could shoot an enemy point blank with an arrow. But they want to force you to have a close range weapon or have to use your movement to get back to use a ranged weapon. Otherwise you don't need a broadsword and a crossbow, a crossbow will do double duty and you have gold. And you could try to argue at close range you bludgeon your enemy with your bow, but that's going to do less damage than piercing him with an arrow. Yes, unlimited range is unrealistic, but so is saying a Wizard can't use a sword or that plate armor cuts your movement in half. These are game mechanics. Change them and you risk upsetting that balance, but good luck.

This is exactly my thought as well, its a purposeful balancing rule not realism. Crossbow is already good enough right, lets let it have 1 weakness right?

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
ajjohnsen

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Seeing, LOS: I was wrong!

Postby Kurgan » Sunday April 18th, 2021 10:53am

So I was wrong. All this time... reading all these discussions, my eyes weren't actually processing what I was seeing in the illustration (center orc on the right, page 15, rules of play). This is clearly an "off axis" example. I may need to keep a ruler handy next time...

This is stated in the context of spell targeting but in principle it would apply to ranged weapon attacks as well (trumped only by card or armory text).

So for the NA rules, it's not quite so loose as the EU, but still more free than I've been playing all these years. Live and learn! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Previous

Return to Official Rules