• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Is "see" the same thing as "line of sight?"

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Is "see" the same thing as "line of sight?"

Postby The Admiral » September 9th, 2019, 3:37 am

I play fairly simple los rules. If you want to target something with a range weapon or spell you must be able to draw a straight line between the two. Everything blocks except low furniture i.e. tables and chests.

I am very generous with the courage spell though. The Hero must simply end their turn in the same room or corridor as a monster or be able to trace los as above to a monster.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jalapenotrellis » September 9th, 2019, 4:12 am

I play similar line of sight as The Admiral. However, I am not generous on courage. My group heroes themselves interpret it as the next attack only (1) and line of sight. So Zargon can break line of sight with sneaky movement if he is able. Adept heroes cast it without letting Zargon do such insidious maneuvering.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 9th, 2019, 4:19 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I play similar line of sight as The Admiral. However, I am not generous on courage. My group heroes themselves interpret it as the next attack only (1) and line of sight. So Zargon can break line of sight with sneaky movement if he is able. Adept heroes cast it without letting Zargon do such insidious maneuvering.

Yes, that is certainly how the courage spell is written. I see it that as long as the Hero is still in the heat of battle he retains his courage. So even if he can't see a monster he would be aware that fighting was still ongoing around him. But I am aware this is my own house rule.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » September 9th, 2019, 5:49 am

Lately i'm using a simple addition to the line if sight: Area of Sight. Which means anything within your Mind Points' area is visible.
So if the Dwarf of the image in page 1 is equipped with a crossbow, he is able then to shoot at the monsters because they stand within his area of sight (3 Mind Points=3 squares).
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 9th, 2019, 6:00 am

Sotiris wrote:Lately i'm using a simple addition to the line if sight: Area of Sight. Which means anything within your Mind Points' area is visible.
So if the Dwarf of the image in page 1 is equipped with a crossbow, he is able then to shoot at the monsters because they stand within his area of sight (3 Mind Points=3 squares).

Clever, and a good use of MP which are rarely used. Heroes with a greater perception/anticipation of what is going on around them in the swirling arena of combat are better able to get a shot off as they get a brief glimpse of an enemy.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » September 10th, 2019, 7:03 am

Sotiris wrote:Lately i'm using a simple addition to the line if sight: Area of Sight. Which means anything within your Mind Points' area is visible.

Does this mean you can shoot over and through things as long as the target is in MP range. If so i like this, it's a nice and tidy way to round all the possibilities up. Thematically the higher Mind signifies the skill of being able to time that shot through whatever gap happens to present itself.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » September 10th, 2019, 8:02 am

Exactly. This makes the Elf the best archer and helps the Wizard to cast without being exposed to the enemies.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 10th, 2019, 3:50 pm

my opinion on this:
You can not perform any search in a room if some monster is still there (you need concentration to search properly)
I can not shot a target if my line of sight is blocked by someone/something else.
Monsters or heroes in the same room are ALWAYS visible, even if they occasionally are blocking my line of sight (it is supposed they are fighting each others so they are not still), so Wizard CAN ALWAYS cast a spell on a target in the same room; Magic works in a different way than a common dard. I just need to know where my target is positioned, then I can cast something on him. It is different if the spell specify that you have to use a straight tile to calculate the target (Hig Mage and Storm Master spells - Lighting Bolt and Earthquake).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » September 11th, 2019, 6:38 am

lestodante wrote:my opinion on this:
You can not perform any search in a room if some monster is still there (you need concentration to search properly).

Definitely. Even if the monster is otherwise engaged so that he could not get to the searcher or not in your sight. Any search must be considered to incorporate the entire room, so you would have to ask the monster to politely move out the way while you look behind him!

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » September 11th, 2019, 9:39 am

I make an exception if the hero is under the effects of the spell Invisibility. If he can't be attacked he can sneak around and look for something. Although it's only for one turn, it's just a small bonus for an otherwise useless spell.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules