• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help with some rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Help with some rules

Postby Flacktron » February 5th, 2019, 2:53 pm

I have finally got a full set so played my first game with my son today. As its been 25 years I was a bit rusty on some of the rules

1: Can you fight through an open door if your character and monster are on either side of the door?
2: If you are stood next to an open doorway does that mean you are blocking any character or monster from passing through the doorway without your permission?
3: Can you do one of the four actions, move AND use a potion in one turn? Example, attack a monster, move away then take potion of resilience if your attack was unsuccessful so you use the benefits of the potion on your next defense?
4: If you own the 'staff' and 'battle axe' can you use the staff to attack on one turn (if you wanted to attack diagonally) then the battle axe the next turn when standing next to a monster? Or can you only arm one weapon per quest or lose an action turn when you change weapons?
5: How far can the crossbow fire?
6: Can you put on the plate armour and remove it as many times as you want per quest or once you are wearing it can it not be removed until the end of the quest? Do you have to announce you will be wearing the plate armour at the beginning of a quest if you are going to wear it and again keep it on until that quest is over?
7: Do you gain your spells back at the beginning of the next quest

Thats it for now
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Help with some rules

Postby Goblin-King » February 5th, 2019, 3:45 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Drinking a potion is a "free" actions, so yes.
4. This is literally not explained in the rules. It's up to you how you want to play it. Some people add a "spend a turn to change equipped weapon"-penalty, but that is strictly a homemade rule.
5. Infinite
6. Same as 4. The rules are just not clear on how you handle equipment. Again, the spend a turn to change any equipment, seems like a good balance.
7. YES! OH GOD, YES! The wizard would be worthless.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » February 5th, 2019, 5:56 pm

If you remove plate mail you technically are still carrying it so the movement penalty still exists.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm

j_dean80 wrote:If you remove plate mail you technically are still carrying it so the movement penalty still exists.

Whoa whoa whoa cowboy! You do not get neither benefits nor penalties for unequipped equipment. Once it it unequipped it is compressed to fill one slot in his pocket. That's just video game magic.

Also the actual rules literally says "while wearing it". :ugeek:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » February 5th, 2019, 6:58 pm

I hate Forthnite for this unrealistic thing

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Flacktron » February 6th, 2019, 1:57 am

Thanks for the replies :)

Regarding plate armour I think I'm going to go with the idea of using up your action for that turn if you want to wear it or remove it. Like you say it only says whilst wearing it you can only roll one movement die so I'll stick to that. Also with characters carrying more than one weapon I think I'll just go along with if you own it you can use it at any point rather than using an action to change it. Characters could quite easily carry a main weapon and one or two other weapons like a staff and crossbow on their backs with easy access to them
Last edited by Flacktron on February 6th, 2019, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Maurice76 » February 6th, 2019, 5:23 am

With regards to armour, it depens a bit on how realistic you want to treat it. As said in the posts above, "video game magic" would allow it to be stuffed in a backpack (or a pocket in your pants, etc ...) and not suffer any negative consequences. However, looking at it from a more realistic point of view, armour is usually bulky and especially the plate mail is LARGE. Consider the plate mail that you sometimes have in a museum or sorts ... how are you going to drag that along with you, if you're not wearing it? While worn, plate mail restricts movement (which is one of the reasons it was only used when the situation demanded it, otherwise leather armor or chainmail was preferred). Furthermore, when considering realism, equipping and donning such a full plate armor takes quite some time, it's not done in a few seconds.

Houseruling it, I would allow people to get out of the plate mail if they so desire, but then they won't be able to drag it along with them and be effective anymore as a character.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 6th, 2019, 7:36 am

Bonus Action: Sacrifice 1 rolled Move d6 to
Re-Equip: Change equipped weapons/armour.
Give/Receive: Weapon/potion to/from another whilst
passing or adjacent. Both may Re-Equip for free.

There's a very good reason to implement a restriction to switching. but, not 1 that slows the game too much. A hero with a battle axe and shield would break the concept of forgoing the extra defence for the extra attack, carrying both and swapping when ever they feel like it.

We have other Bonus Actions that relate to equipment, artefacts and character skills. It's the same mod for all. It works perfectly with Plate Mail as you only roll 1 Move D6. If you wanted to take this off or give it to someone else, you wouldn't be able to move that turn, sacrificing the d6.

limiting weapon carry slots to Body value also helps. Introducing a thug, a new M@A Mercenary to carry extra things. My character sheets have a little tick box by where you write in the item, this is what is currently equipped.

It doesn't take players long to figure out ways to manipulate to their advantage the things you've question. Which is what the mods on my print out work towards reducing, without simply saying "no you can't do that", no one likes that player. It doesn't go into the issues and it might not seem as obvious to why, it's all under the hood.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » February 6th, 2019, 11:51 am

The Evil Wizard player is already at a serious disadvantage over the Heroes in the original quest pack, mainly due to the white shield/black shield thing coupled with door blocking and the weapons bonuses the Heroes gain fairly quickly.
For that reason alone I am pretty strict on equipment swopping, and the realism issue should clinch it. Plate armour took a really long time to put on in real life. I certainly wouldn't allow a Hero to quickly change out of plate armour just so he could move fast and then don it again to defend against an attack. That sort of behaviour will NEVER take place at my gaming table. And don't even get me started on the "two shields" thing.
I play Heroquest because it's supposed to be fun, and I want to play with similar-minded friends. I'm not interested in spending hours sat with hyper-competitive nerds who want to game every inch of the system. I'm certainly not talking about anybody here at the Inn by the way.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Flacktron » February 6th, 2019, 5:45 pm

What about treasure cards? How do people monitor these? Do you put all the treasure cards back in the pile after each quest so have a full deck for the next one? Do you only put them back in once they have been used like potion of healing for example (if yes for this what about gold)? Or are any potions or gold treasure cards kept out until characters die or that campaign is finished and all characters start over again? Hope these questions make sense
Flacktron

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Next

Return to Official Rules