• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Search for Treasure!

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Search for Treasure!

Postby wallydubbs » October 25th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I have a few questions and a minor issue with treasure searching:
If the hero searches for Treasure and there's a pit trap or spear trap in the room, does he immediately spring the trap or does that only apply to a trapped chest? It says in the booklet he's moving around and opening things, so it seems like he should spring it. If so This would imply that every trap in the room needs to be disarmed (or sprung) before you can search for treasure.

I don't know how it works in the European version, but in North America all heroes are allowed 1 search per room. Does anyone else find this too annoying, the heroes will max out much too quickly. Shouldn't 1 search be sufficient enough to end it?
I'm thinking one search per room should be sufficient unless maybe if there's something specific in the quest booklet and another minor search could be made. 1 Treasure card per room. If the room has 2 chests, 1 search each chest... or maybe since the furniture doesn't have any specific value (except for a chest) maybe I should limit the heroes 1 search per room unless there's furniture, like every piece of furniture can be searched.

Thoughts?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Search for Treasure!

Postby The Admiral » October 25th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I'm sure that only chest traps are sprung by the search, but your thoughts are logical. It is one of many strange facets of this simple game e.g finding a secret door in a corridor that is beyond a pit trap. It is the simplicity that makes it playable, and also highly adaptable to adding house rules.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 25th, 2018, 7:46 pm

I think if they searched the room for traps first they can avoid them even if not disarmed. Not including a chest trap.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 26th, 2018, 7:18 am

j_dean80 wrote:I think if they searched the room for traps first they can avoid them even if not disarmed. Not including a chest trap.

Yes, I've come across this before: the Elf and Wizard were in a room, they searched for traps and found a spear trap, but the Dwarf was elsewhere unable to disarm it, so when the Wizard seatched for treasure it was agreed that since they know where the trap is they know where not to look.

However this brought up issues in The Great Gate of Keller's Keep: there are 2 pit traps surrounding a treasure chest in a corner of the room makes A, they searched for traps and spotted the pit traps, but the Dwarf was out in the hall, so when they wanted to search for treasure I reasoned it wasn't possible to check the chest unless the pit traps are disarmed.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » October 26th, 2018, 7:30 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:I think if they searched the room for traps first they can avoid them even if not disarmed. Not including a chest trap.

Yes, I've come across this before: the Elf and Wizard were in a room, they searched for traps and found a spear trap, but the Dwarf was elsewhere unable to disarm it, so when the Wizard seatched for treasure it was agreed that since they know where the trap is they know where not to look.

However this brought up issues in The Great Gate of Keller's Keep: there are 2 pit traps surrounding a treasure chest in a corner of the room makes A, they searched for traps and spotted the pit traps, but the Dwarf was out in the hall, so when they wanted to search for treasure I reasoned it wasn't possible to check the chest unless the pit traps are disarmed.

It would be possible to avoid the "mechanism" that triggers said pit trap.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 27th, 2018, 5:23 am

I agree with 1 search (1 treasure card) per room allowed and 1 to search traps. Other heroes cannot perform additional searchs.
If there is a chest in the room, the hero must be adiacent to the chest open it. If they search a room with a chest they take 1 treasure card, then they can ALSO open the chest and see what's inside.
If there are traps, also inside the chest, and the heroes have ALREADY searched for traps, the heroes can try to disinnescate it by using the toolkit.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 27th, 2018, 7:21 am

In the NA you ONLY draw a treasure card if the room has no special treasures.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » October 27th, 2018, 3:01 pm

lestodante wrote:I agree with 1 search (1 treasure card) per room allowed and 1 to search traps. Other heroes cannot perform additional searchs.
If there is a chest in the room, the hero must be adiacent to the chest open it. If they search a room with a chest they take 1 treasure card, then they can ALSO open the chest and see what's inside.
If there are traps, also inside the chest, and the heroes have ALREADY searched for traps, the heroes can try to disinnescate it by using the toolkit.

I agree, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Return to Official Rules