• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Questions on Expansion Spells (WoM and MotM)

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Questions on Expansion Spells (WoM and MotM)

Postby wallydubbs » October 26th, 2018, 9:59 am

Wait a minute, I just reread that, did you say 2 Mind points?

US version adds 1 MP only for ToL... that's how I've been playing it. Does the European version do 2 MPs?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » October 26th, 2018, 10:16 am

Yes. UK Versioin. :lol:
My own version changed that to 1 MP. And the Wizard can use it to have one spell more per group.
If he gives it away, he must discard an unused spell from each group. He won't get them back if he gets the ToL back. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 26th, 2018, 1:10 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Spells if Revelation? Is that what they're called in the European circuit? They're Spells of Detection here; although Clairvoyance is essentially useless I can see some heroes hungry for the Treasure Hoard spell, while Future Sight can also come in handy.

Yes I meant Spells of Detection, not Spells of Revelation. I confused because in the Italian version they are called "Incantesimi di Rivelazione".
As for the number of spells related to the number of mind points of the character, I agree.
I did a post here that you may find interesting: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4337&p=87694#p87694
but I quote it here for an easy read:

lestodante wrote:it is interesting how michiemasa consider the abilities and his result is always 16, but I only consider the four standard stats, BP, MP, ATT, DEF! The total for each character is 14, except the Barbarian that has a 15!
Elf and Wizard has spells but hey are limited in attack, while the Bartbarian can ALWAYS attack with a minimum of 3 dice and can buy a tool kit to disarm traps like the Dwarf!
Also, a Wizard with a potion or a healing spell needs to WASTE 1 BP, because they recover up to 4 BP and he need to use it when he has lost only 3 BP (and 1 is left), while the other Heroes can wait until they lost 4 BP before using something to heal, so the others don't waste any part of the healing stuff.
Even if he uses all of his spells, his offence is very limited because there are very few spells able to kill an enemy, while many others are just for escaping, healing, or making a monster to miss a turn. So we all agree he need an upgrade.
I wrote my personal idea about the use of magic, following the rule that each additional MP (starting from a minimum of 4) allows the magic-user to know a new spell set.
But please note that a warrior with 5 MP and 5 BP still can't access to any magic, because he is not a magic-user. So the higher MP only allow him to have a better magic resistance against some spells (like the ones included in the Ogre Horde pack).
My magic system was allowing the wizard to upgrade and to own more spell sets and assigning him some "mana" points. Each spell will consume some mana so he can chose from a very high range of spells but twith a limited use so the game will not result unbalanced. So, Mind Points allow to know more magic, Mana Points allow to use them!
Here is the list of the standard spells and considering their effects I attribuited a MANA value to each of them:

Pass through Rock 1
Heal Body 3
Rock Skin 2
Water of Healing 3
Sleep 1
Veil of Mist 1
Courage 2
Fire of Wrath 2
Ball of Flame 2
Genie 3 (or 1 if used to reveal a room)
Tempest 1
Swift Wind 1

The stronger is the spell, the more mana it will consume.
Mana can obviously being recovered during the quest by using special potions or artifacts.
Please note that each sets of spells has a total value of 5 or 6 mana points. So the Wizard will start with 18 MANA POINTS, so he have enough mana to use all of his spells. If he will increase his Mind Points, he will get 6 more mana points for each new MP acquired.
All the new spells (including the ones from WOM, Spells of Darkness, Detection and Protection) will be subject to the same scheme and each set shoul not exceed a value of 6 MANA.
I was also considering the idea to NOT discard the spells after used, so the wizard can use the same spell more times in the same quest, but applying a penalty: when used a second time, the spell will use more mana than usually (still working on this... it can be a double amount or even dice roll to determine the amount)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 2nd, 2018, 7:35 am

At first glance it kinda seems like it's overcomplicating things... But then again it balances out the weaker spells as from the expansion: Clairvoyance vs Courage, everyone will always pick courage, but the mana part sometimes only allows you to cast certain spells... I can see this also being a hindrance, though.

I've already bought and expansion booklet for the armory ant Alchemist shop; one potion in the Alchemist Shop allows the Wizard to regain a lost spell. Adapting your mana thing would nullify some wizard potions... decisions...

I like your ideas and maybe I'll give this a shot. It would probably be more determinable coming from the wizard player. Next time we play I'll suggest it to her and see how she likes it.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » November 2nd, 2018, 6:44 pm

Well, let me know if you playtest this system with your group, I am curious to know if it works fine or not.
Also for the potion you mentioned, it may be modified and let the wizard recover 2 (or 1d6) mana points instead of a single spell (I guess everybody will try to get back Genie or a healing spell).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 5th, 2018, 4:58 pm

lestodante wrote:Well, let me know if you playtest this system with your group, I am curious to know if it works fine or not.
Also for the potion you mentioned, it may be modified and let the wizard recover 2 (or 1d6) mana points instead of a single spell (I guess everybody will try to get back Genie or a healing spell).

Well there were conflicting notions on this. My wizard player is delving closer to D&D so she's fine with additional complications, however my elf player wasn't too keen on the notion, so we played it the traditional way for his benefit.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » November 6th, 2018, 6:26 pm

why not considering to apply the rule only to the wizard and let the elf play in the traditional way? (he has just 3 spells)

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Official Rules