• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Postby Daedalus » June 2nd, 2018, 7:13 pm

pemcode wrote:Pass Through Rock says "move through walls"

Veil of Mist says "move unseen through spaces that are occupied by monsters"

So I agree a literal interpretation of the way it's worded means a Hero can not move through furniture (even with Pass Through Rock + Veil of Mist).

Which means Furniture is the only Hero blocker you can't bypass with a spell.

However, this makes me wonder:
1) Is it a rules bug? HeroQuest has other rules that seem broken (where they didn't think through the details and implications).
2) Is it better design if Pass Through Rock or Veil of Mist (not sure which one) lets a Hero move through furniture?

In the British TV commercial, the Fire of Wrath spell was differently worded:

This spell may be cast on any
    object or door in the same Room
    or Passage. The object and
    anything in it will then be
    destroyed. The spell may not be
    cast on Monsters or Players.
This prototype spell would have gotten a Hero past a piece of furniture (or door) by blasting it out of the way.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Stoner81 » July 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm

The obvious way to me to deal with this is as follows...

When Pass Through Rock is cast and the player moves in to a room which hasn't been found then they have to stop to allow the EWP to lay out the room as normal. This way they see all the furniture (if any) and must move around it accordingly.

Veil of Mist applies to monsters only and nothing else.

Thanks for bringing this up, I will be adding this to my rule book :)

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 2nd, 2018, 10:50 am

I understand that this is such a grey area but I think Pass Through Rock should work on furniture as well... just casting a vote.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » November 2nd, 2018, 11:02 am

To me, the spell is about manipulating earth, as it's a spell in the Earth elemental Spell Group. Although wood isn't too far off (when you consider the bookcases, the cabinet, or the tables), it's not stone or earth in and of itself. In contrast, I think the Wizard's table (with the book) and the Tomb are both made of stone and hence, would allow passage. Interestingly, the Gargoyles are considered made of stone as well, right? Pass through Rock would allow moving through them then :P.

The issue of trying to move into a square occupied by something that's not made of stone, while being on the other side of a wall is solved easily by blocking the Hero and informing the player that "something" is preventing passage through the wall in that spot and that the Hero therefore has to select an alternate route.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 2nd, 2018, 12:33 pm

Pass Through ROCK. It seems fairly clear. Flesh and wood are not rock, and may therefore not be passed through. I do allow a Hero to pass through the Sorcerers Table and the Tomb, as I consider these to be made out of rock i.e. stone.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 10:58 am

Daedalus wrote:In the British TV commercial, the Fire of Wrath spell was differently worded:

This spell may be cast on any
    object or door in the same Room
    or Passage. The object and
    anything in it will then be
    destroyed. The spell may not be
    cast on Monsters or Players.
This prototype spell would have gotten a Hero past a piece of furniture (or door) by blasting it out of the way.

I found this very interesting...

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally I only thought Pass Through Rock should work on furniture, as it is an Earth spell I don't really want to argue the difference over rock and wood, but something should allow this.

However i really have to wonder what is actually happening with Veil of Mist, is the hero traveling through a mist and sneaking past the monster, or does he become the mist itself and get around the monster that way?
I came across this implication looking at Against the Ogre Hoard: neither heroes nor monsters can move past an Ogre because he is too big. Veil of Mist was originally put in place because monsters wouldn't allow heroes to pass through their space, much like heroes do trust their friends to pass. Ogres create an issue of space, not of permission.
But as we have the "unseen" factor written on the card one must also wonder about the implications of expansion spells such as Invisibility (from WoM) and Disappearance (from MotM). The monsters cannot see them, thus the hero should be able to pass undetected.
However, back to the Ogre, if the hero is invisible he still wouldn't be able to pass the Ogre because he doesn't have room to do so. But if you wish to consider Veil of Mist as the hero transforming into a thousand particles of water, this would allow the hero to move through an Ogre and furniture as all that is needed is a pocket of air current to travel through.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » November 9th, 2018, 2:47 pm

You really have to decide for yourself where rules clash with reality. I mean, a dining table really isn't going to stop anyone. Heck, I'm no hero, but even I can climb over/under my kitchen table, and yet in the game it is an impervious barrier to even the mightiest :barbarian:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 3:47 pm

The Admiral wrote:You really have to decide for yourself where rules clash with reality. I mean, a dining table really isn't going to stop anyone. Heck, I'm no hero, but even I can climb over/under my kitchen table, and yet in the game it is an impervious barrier to even the mightiest :barbarian:

Lol, I've always felt Goblins are nimble enough that they should be allowed to jump on the table... perhaps a rule should be implemented allowing some heroes and monsters to do this... preferably the elf... maybe a 1 square penalty for allowing this...
But then questions of such will arise about bookshelves, Alchemist bench and such...
These aren't prowrestling tables that can break with the slightest bit of weight applied to the middle, I can see them being durable but certainly passable. It's a terrible barrier as monsters and heroes can't pass it, yet someone with a crossbow still has line of sight.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » November 11th, 2018, 4:50 am

We have CLIMB: discard 1Md6 (which is the same mechanic for all bonus actions in my games). The table counts as 2 squares, which opens up a larger area to attack and be attacked, opponent is -1CD6.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules