• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Keeping track of who has searched

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby Kitch1982 » Tuesday January 22nd, 2019 11:35am

This might have already been said but in the UK version you can search a room for traps, treasure or secret doors. Is that not the same in the US version?
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » Tuesday January 22nd, 2019 11:48am

Kitch1982 wrote:This might have already been said but in the UK version you can search a room for traps, treasure or secret doors. Is that not the same in the US version?

In the US version, you search for Secret Doors and Traps at the same time. To be honest, that makes more sense to me and also cuts down on the drudgery of having to do all those different searches in every room.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Tuesday January 22nd, 2019 8:06pm

Kitch1982 wrote:This might have already been said but in the UK version you can search a room for traps, treasure or secret doors. Is that not the same in the US version?

Maurice76 wrote:In the US (edit: UK) version, you search for Secret Doors and Traps at the same time. To be honest, that makes more sense to me and also cuts down on the drudgery of having to do all those different searches in every room.

I prefer UK, mentioned many times here, with way too much over thought explaining why and, not just because it speeds up game play.

UK: Traps and Secret Doors are combined, Treasure separate.
US: All searches are separate.

Traps and Secret Doors are practically the same thing.

"look there's a crack in the wall"
"hmm those wires look suspicious"
"This flagstone is loose"
"This book looks a lot less dusty than the others"
"I wonder what this lever is for"

... SEARCH
"IT'S A TARP!!!"
"AHHHH A SECRET DOOR!"

All easily interchangeable.

A Treasure search on it's own is a careless quick snatch and grab.
You've seen something (what ever the card happens to be) and grab it.

... SEARCH
"Look a boot... A GEM""
"Quick check that draw... Jewels"
"There's some gold coins over there"
"There's a stash under this flagstone"
"Oh crap those bones just reanimated"

A Trap/Secret door search followed by a Treasure search is a more cautious Treasure search.
It takes more time, 2 turns or 2 heroes actions.

"Look a... Wait a min lets be cautious and check the room first"

More reasons for...
mitchiemasha wrote:"Treasure Search: A room not searched for traps, featuring a trap, will trigger the trap. Place the Hero on the trapped square, don’t pick a card."

And, why I support irrelevant placement for disarming. A Hero with the skill simply disarms a trap they find, as written, if performing a search action reveals a trap, you remove it. "You are the Dwarf. You are a good warrior and can always disarm traps that you find". With the Tool kit, the Hero removes the trap but has to roll to see if they take damage in doing so. The trigger mechanism could be anywhere, the very square you're in, any you passed during movement and/or the action itself includes moving to it and back again.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Sunday June 9th, 2019 11:19am

I allow 1 search of each type per room (instead of allowing multiple searches if they forget, I just say they've already searched) or corridor (I am allowing, like the original rules, that you can search corridors for treasure too, not just rooms).

I like the idea of putting little tokens on the map (behind Zargon's screen). One for Secret Doors, one for Traps, one for Treasure. there should be some spare tiles, dice, etc. that can be used for that purpose unless you printed your maps really small.

I have my maps all in plastic sheets, so another option could be a mark from a dry erase pen on the surface.
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby Kurgan » Sunday April 25th, 2021 3:04pm

I've gone back to allowing each Hero to search a room for treasure ONCE. Only need to search once for traps or secrets doors, but the question is what to do about corridors.

I have allowed Treasure searches in corridors, but should I allow 4 searches in corridors too, or just once? I hasn't come up yet. In the PC game they only allow 1 search (but they do the same for each room). I have enough treasure cards if they want to search, then I am inclined to let them search.

Dry erase marker on the plastic sheet (or light pencil mark on the quest book), or token placed. If Heroes ask me I will give an honest answer as Zargon as to whether they have searched it.
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:

Postby iKarith » Sunday May 2nd, 2021 4:02pm

Kurgan wrote:I've gone back to allowing each Hero to search a room for treasure ONCE. Only need to search once for traps or secrets doors, but the question is what to do about corridors.

I have allowed Treasure searches in corridors, but should I allow 4 searches in corridors too, or just once? I hasn't come up yet. In the PC game they only allow 1 search (but they do the same for each room). I have enough treasure cards if they want to search, then I am inclined to let them search.

Dry erase marker on the plastic sheet (or light pencil mark on the quest book), or token placed. If Heroes ask me I will give an honest answer as Zargon as to whether they have searched it.

It's come up now! :lol:

:orc: *swings and misses*
Milton Bradley: "So guys, everyone knows about orcs, goblins and mummies and stuff, but what about these 'fimirs' we're putting in the game? Tell me all about them!"

Games Workshop: "Uhhhhhhhhhhh...."
iKarith

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » Sunday May 2nd, 2021 6:36pm

Yep, all hail the potion hoarders and high-risk treasure hunter gamblers!

I think drathe's treasure deck had 96 cards in it, about double what mine is!
Kurgan

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:

Previous

Return to Official Rules