• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Keeping track of who has searched

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Keeping track of who has searched

Postby mitchiemasha » November 3rd, 2018, 12:23 am

wallydubbs wrote:I prefer the 1 search per room houserule; as in one hero searches the room and that's it.

Plus each item of furniture. An empty room, 1 search, a room with a book case and a table 3 searches. Not that they need to specify what they're are searching, it just adds a little more to the furniture. It ties in nicely with quest specifics too.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » January 20th, 2019, 1:16 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:I prefer the 1 search per room houserule; as in one hero searches the room and that's it.

Plus each item of furniture. An empty room, 1 search, a room with a book case and a table 3 searches. Not that they need to specify what they're are searching, it just adds a little more to the furniture. It ties in nicely with quest specifics too.

I could warrant that; primarily if the quest notes make specific mention of where the treasure was found.
If not that, then for sure the Treasure Chest. Almost always the quest notes will specify what's in a particular chest. Searching the chest isn't necessarily searching the rest of the room, as generally I only allow heroes to check the chest if they're standing adjacent to it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 20th, 2019, 5:59 am

wallydubbs wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:

I could warrant that; primarily if the quest notes make specific mention of where the treasure was found.
If not that, then for sure the Treasure Chest. Almost always the quest notes will specify what's in a particular chest. Searching the chest isn't necessarily searching the rest of the room, as generally I only allow heroes to check the chest if they're standing adjacent to it.

I'm confused by your reply as... the comment you've made still stands true when the mod you've quoted us on is in effect.

Edit: sorry i read your comment as "I couldn't warrant that" not "I could warrant that" lol... ignore my ramblings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by mitchiemasha on January 20th, 2019, 6:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 20th, 2019, 6:26 am

For the sake of searching a chest, the hero does indeed need to be adjacent, representative of the race to it between the other heroes. But don't forget, once the room is free of monsters, placement is irrelevant, when a hero declares that they're searching for treasure or traps, they are searching the entire room, not just the square they are in. This is why i like the mod...

"Treasure Search: A room not searched for traps, featuring a trap, will trigger the trap. Place the Hero on the trapped square, don’t pick a card."

For the sake of the race aspect of the game, the Hero always starts the square they ended on but it specifically mentions the search action represents the full room, think of it as going to the item and back again or they happened to find it on the path they moved.

The quest notes often specify "when a hero searches they will find" the armoury etc... but there's no mention of placement. In the case of a room featuring the armoury piece, the mod allows for 2 searches, not 4. The first search would be the armoury trigger, the second the deck. It's up to the EW to decide if they play that the hero can specify if they want to pick a card first or trigger the quest notes, if related to a piece of furniture.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 20th, 2019, 6:19 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:For the sake of searching a chest, the hero does indeed need to be adjacent, representative of the race to it between the other heroes. But don't forget, once the room is free of monsters, placement is irrelevant, when a hero declares that they're searching for treasure or traps, they are searching the entire room, not just the square they are in. This is why i like the mod...

"Treasure Search: A room not searched for traps, featuring a trap, will trigger the trap. Place the Hero on the trapped square, don’t pick a card."

Yes, however, it has happened several times while playing that a hero will search for traps, find one, but the dwarf is nowhere around to disarm it. So we often play that if the heroes know where the trap is, they will know where not to search. So they can search the room, careful to avoid that spot. However if there is a chest in the corner of the room, yet surrounded by pit traps (See The Great Gate, Quest 1 of Keller's Keep); I could not, in good conscience, allow the heroes to check the chest unless at least one of those traps is disarmed.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 20th, 2019, 9:34 pm

wallydubbs wrote:but the dwarf is nowhere around to disarm it. So we often play that if the heroes know where the trap is, they will know where not to search. So they can search the room, careful to avoid that spot. However if there is a chest in the corner of the room, yet surrounded by pit traps (See The Great Gate, Quest 1 of Keller's Keep); I could not, in good conscience, allow the heroes to check the chest unless at least one of those traps is disarmed.

Yes... borrowing a bit from the US edition, the EW points to the hazard square and voices a warning, which opens up potential for a new item, Explorers Kit (basically a map).

Explorers Kit: Found unsprung traps are place on the board face down.

I have the US SKULL token printed and stuck on the reverse side of my trap tokens. Placing them on the board represents a hero making a note on the map (As a Hero I was always forgetting where traps are). If a Hero risks this square, flip it over. This could also be designed in quests via a map found in a chest, on the table, desk, etc as per the specifics of the quest notes. In the UK ed, simply searching for traps places them on the board, triggered, sprung, which would break the Tool Kit if using, 'Sprung Traps can't be removed' mod and, why we have Rope.

Rope:Enter or Exit a sprung pit trap, Climb: -1Md6.

The 'place a hero on the trapped square mod' satisfies your

wallydubbs wrote:they will know where not to search. So they can search the room, careful to avoid that spot.

because it's worded 'A room not searched for traps', simply searching for traps prevents them being placed on the square, even with out disarming the trap. That is them knowing where "not" to search. However, for your chest surrounded concern, we've always played chest needs to be adjacent. I can't remember if that's official or not.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 21st, 2019, 8:01 am

It actually doesn't say in instructions or quest book on regards to this. As this conundrum doesn't occur in the first official 15 quests (counting the Maze and Trial).

This first happens in Keller's Keep, where few changes are made or add-ons to the rules. Or at least nothing is said in the US version...

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 21st, 2019, 8:58 am

Now I'm intrigued. There's a good chance that placement for searching the chest was originally irrelevant. I'll have a look later.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 21st, 2019, 9:35 am

I think, with each subsequent expansion, less and less attention was paid during playtesting... especially in the American versions.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » January 22nd, 2019, 10:50 am

wallydubbs wrote:I think, with each subsequent expansion, less and less attention was paid during playtesting... especially in the American versions.

You know how it goes, QA only costs money from a business point of view. That it helps to increase final quality and thereby keep customers happy in the long run is irrelevant if your product is already tanking.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules