• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Fighting in Doorways

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Fighting in Doorways

Postby Sknks » September 6th, 2017, 9:44 pm

So on the weekend we were playing HQ and the heroes would just park the barbarian in the doorway with the dwarf and elf either side with long swords. As monsters can't attack diagonally I'm limited to one attack per round. If I don't go to the door they just fire their crossbow to likely kill one of the monsters.

I'm at a loss how to combat this, any ideas?
Sknks

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Fighting in Doorways

Postby j_dean80 » September 6th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Throw in diagonal attack monsters.
Throw in range attack monsters.
Throw in a secret door the monsters can open to get behind the Heroes.

EWP has the map, Heroes don't know what it shows, so he can make needed changes on the fly.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » September 6th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Don't engage the Barbarian. Move the monsters out of Line of Sight if possible and wait. There is no rule saying you must move monsters to attack. They can be played smart.

or
Write up a homebrew Dungeon and equip the monsters wit spears {2 Attack} or Small Bows {2 Attack}.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sknks » September 6th, 2017, 11:56 pm

I quite like the idea of changing it up so they run into something they don't expect. The LoS one works sometimes though it depends on the room.

I guess it's the problem of playing when you are 30+ and no longer 10! Back when we were children they just ran in the room.
Sknks

Hero:

Postby Anderas » September 7th, 2017, 12:02 am

Just equip some of the Goblins or Skeletons with Spears and Bows. Playing Door Blocker is becoming deadly.
With just one Bowman per room, you can stay back and shoot and shoot and shoot. Alternatively, you replace one or two of the monsters with a spear-equipped monster. The door blocker gets three attacks then.

If you don't have those models, don't attack. Let them come.
But the Bowman should really be in your collection.

And get some of those great double doors from Zealot. They should be put everywhere if there are more than a few monsters.
open door
closed door

Click for big.
They are for my own system, but i am sure you can make something up with them.
ImageImageImageImage

Ah, and I nearly forgot:
Make your own EWP deck. That applies some time pressure, in turn it prevents tactics that take too much time.

Here is mine

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » September 7th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Allow Monsters to move furniture so they can use it as a shield to block LOS.
Makes sense...the heroes are in the door launching ranged attacks? We need cover yells a monster and the table is over turned to provide protection. Now you just forced the heroes hands...they must close in to melee range.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby benvoliothefirst » September 7th, 2017, 6:55 pm

There's a thread somewhere on here about "knockback/pushback," where if you successfully attack, the barbarian would have to move backwards a space. I'm thinking about using that rule in these situations.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 8th, 2017, 3:01 am

benvoliothefirst wrote:There's a thread somewhere on here about "knockback/pushback," where if you successfully attack, the barbarian would have to move backwards a space. I'm thinking about using that rule in these situations.

http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1408&p=15152&hilit=push+back#p15152

It remedies a lot of the problem, along with some double doors, double-wide corridors and monster equipment as suggested here.
The cards Anderas has suggested help, too. I call them Fate cards, others have called them differently.
Evil Wizard deck, for example: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1943&p=27009&hilit=evil+wizard+deck#p27009
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cornixt » September 8th, 2017, 9:18 am

Here's a simple solution - heroes can't attack in close combat over the threshold of a door but monsters can.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » September 8th, 2017, 9:20 am

cornixt wrote:Here's a simple solution - heroes can't attack in close combat over the threshold of a door but monsters can.
:) |_P

Edit:
I went with this so that it works the same for monsters and heroes and uses the actual door as an excuse for the rule. Not quite as simple but simple enough to be worth it I think. 'You can't attack opponents on the other side of a doorway in close combat if the door opens on the opponents side. The door gives them cover, this is to prevent heroes from standing by the door where only one can be attacked. Doors in corridors open into the room and other doors open away from the adventurer, in cases where the quest allows for doors to be opened from either side because of more than one path they'll be an arrow pointing in the direction the door opens, so the direction you can't attack from.'
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules