• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Can several heroes own the same item?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Can several heroes own the same item?

Postby WizKid » March 29th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. Apart from a couple of quests recently the last time i played HQ was 20+ years ago. I remember that we agreed that only one hero could own an item (e.g. the helmet) at any time. I don't remember this as an official rule but I guess it was because there only was a single equipment card for each item. Is there an official rule I've missed? How do you play?
WizKid

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Can several heroes own the same item?

Postby StratosVX » March 29th, 2017, 5:21 pm

I'm a US player so I never had the equipment cards. As such, we always played that anyone could buy (or find) anything that was in the armory regardless of whether or not someone else already owned that item. They aren't unique so there was no reason this wasn't plausible.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 29th, 2017, 5:33 pm

The EU cards were intended for one card to represent one item.
The second edition having two shields and two helmets is proof for that.
The US version had the chart and everybody could buy everything, writing a list instead of building a card deck.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby WizKid » March 29th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Back then I wasn't aware of different rulesets. Having limited number of weapons can make it more challenging for the heroes. On the other hand they have to spend their gold on something.
WizKid

Hero:

Postby Gold Bearer » March 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

If you allow multiples to be used without the cards then it makes the short sword and hand axe completely pointless. A simple fix if you want to go that rout is to increase the spear cost and reduce the hand axe cost. Another good option if you want to keep the prices the same is to make the staff and spear two handed.

Personally I think they shouldn't be limited, the staff and the crossbow should be two handed (which is important if you want to add the US long sword because that also costs 350gp) and to not allow the crossbow to attack a diagonally adjacent target (the rules are clear on that). 180gp is a good price for the spear and 50gp for the hand axe, it could be lower but then you'd need to lower the cost of the US daggers (can be thrown with one attack dice) if you're using them.

knightkrawler wrote:The EU cards were intended for one card to represent one item.
The US version had the chart and everybody could buy everything, writing a list instead of building a card deck.
Other way round. The first edition had two shields and two helmets, the second replaced one shield and one helmet with the bracers and cloak of protection. ;)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 30th, 2017, 1:58 am

Gold Bearer wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:The EU cards were intended for one card to represent one item.

Other way round. The first edition had two shields and two helmets, the second replaced one shield and one helmet with the bracers and cloak of protection. ;)

Right, of course.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » March 30th, 2017, 2:10 am

With limited equipment you'll alsoencounter paradoxes if the heroes has bought some of the equipment, but later finds gear in a quest.
This happens quite early with the spear.

Still I kinda prefer this method as it prevents all four heroes to pack almost the exact same gear. Also prevents 3 crossbows.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 30th, 2017, 2:20 am

I fixed all these problems listed here in HQ: Heroes & Villains by design.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » March 30th, 2017, 2:51 am

Gold Bearer wrote:...and to not allow the crossbow to attack a diagonally adjacent target (the rules are clear on that).
I meant the rules aren't clear on that. I think that' must be the correct rule though because in the US version a long sword costs the same as a crossbow and the halberdier costing the same as the crossbowman seems to confirm it.

Goblin-King wrote:With limited equipment you'll alsoencounter paradoxes if the heroes has bought some of the equipment, but later finds gear in a quest.
This happens quite early with the spear.
I think equipment you find in the quests is in addition to the equipment cards. In Keller's Keep you find a crossbow and they're bound to have bought one by then, it must be meant to give them a second one.

Goblin-King wrote:Still I kinda prefer this method as it prevents all four heroes to pack almost the exact same gear. Also prevents 3 crossbows.
I prefer it for gameplay reasons but I don't like that it makes no sense.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » March 30th, 2017, 11:27 am

I kind of like it when they all have the same gear. When they all have similar gear they develop tactics for their weapons/armor load and it brings out the best of each hero. Helps them shine brighter when they do a job meant specifically for them.
Also when they get all decked out in the same gear, they get complacent and lazy. They are actually much less likely to react well to a strange or previously unseen danger/challenge.
Then there are balancing issues. Much easier to balance things when 3 of the heroes are in carbon copy gear of each other. You don't have to take into consideration a hodgepodge of weapons and armor.
And lastly I like it because it is more realistic and makes them look like they are in uniforms. They are soldiers doing the bidding of the Empire. They should look like soldiers, not a ragtag band of halfassed mercenaries.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Next