• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potions: how do they work?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Potions: how do they work?

Postby Anderas » Wednesday March 17th, 2021 5:32am

Wouldn't be the first screw up.

That thief class.... Wow. The ability to use a potion from an adjacent standing model is one of the evilest ideas I've seen. That works only with the EU rules allowance to attack your fellow heroes, otherwise the victims would be totally helpless! :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday March 17th, 2021 9:48am

j_dean80 wrote:
Important! After your Body Points have reached zero, you can never be saved by a fellow Hero's spell or potion. It will be too late. You will have died by the time it is your fellow Hero's turn--the only time when he can cast a spell or give you a potion.

This also says you would have to use the Healing Spell out of turn because “It will be too late.” if you waited ‘til your next turn. Or it is saying it would have to be on your current turn, but there’s no circumstance that would allow you to on your turn either.

It means by the next Hero's turn, so it would have to be on your own turn that you save yourself. The question is whether you can do your action "right then" which is how we all interpreted it up until this discussion. Most of the time when you die it's going to be on Zargon's turn.

We just played it like... oh, you died. Do you have any healing potions? (If so, revived). No? Do you have a healing spell? (Yes: Okay, but you already did an action just then when you searched for treasure, sorry... hope they find the elixir of life or you're starting with a new Hero on the next quest!).

The "does it make logical sense" issue is less important to me than "what was the intention of the designers here." I am treating it though a bit like defense... it just automatically kicks in.

Other players just say "screw it" and say another Hero CAN heal you on their own turn, after you have died technically. I'm still going with the "you have a chance to save yourself at the time" and not JUST with a potion of healing.
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » Wednesday March 17th, 2021 12:01pm

Kurgan wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:
Important! After your Body Points have reached zero, you can never be saved by a fellow Hero's spell or potion. It will be too late. You will have died by the time it is your fellow Hero's turn--the only time when he can cast a spell or give you a potion.

This also says you would have to use the Healing Spell out of turn because “It will be too late.” if you waited ‘til your next turn. Or it is saying it would have to be on your current turn, but there’s no circumstance that would allow you to on your turn either.

It means by the next Hero's turn, so it would have to be on your own turn that you save yourself. The question is whether you can do your action "right then" which is how we all interpreted it up until this discussion. Most of the time when you die it's going to be on Zargon's turn.

We just played it like... oh, you died. Do you have any healing potions? (If so, revived). No? Do you have a healing spell? (Yes: Okay, but you already did an action just then when you searched for treasure, sorry... hope they find the elixir of life or you're starting with a new Hero on the next quest!).

The "does it make logical sense" issue is less important to me than "what was the intention of the designers here." I am treating it though a bit like defense... it just automatically kicks in.

Other players just say "screw it" and say another Hero CAN heal you on their own turn, after you have died technically. I'm still going with the "you have a chance to save yourself at the time" and not JUST with a potion of healing.

Following the written rules makes the Elixir of Life more important. Otherwise, it is just a glorified healing potion.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Thursday March 18th, 2021 2:05pm

That'll teach me (or at least it should) for looking to the US rules for clarification on a point where the EU v2 rules are perfectly clear.

If your Body point total ever reaches zero, then your character is eliminated, he is no more, has ceased to be, is bereft of life, rests in peace, his metabolic processes are a matter of interest only to historians, he is an ex-hero.

Simple

That said it is good to get some clarity on the passing items rules as they are entirely absent from the EU v2 edition
Next Quest: Quest for the Spirit Blade
Other Activities; Polishing my own full House Rules and working on creating my first Quest!
House Rules (HeroQuest Gold): https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1pckufkz534w ... .docx?dl=0

As a general principle* I use EU 2e rules but where they are not clear or otherwise problematic then I look to other versions for clarity / improvement before resorting to house rules

*By general principle I mean I ignore it when it suits me
Bareheaded Warrior

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules