• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potions: how do they work?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Potions: how do they work?

Postby Gomcse » January 27th, 2018, 3:57 am

We allow players to save each other with potions even when it isn't their turn in the round. This makes it consistent and avoids frustration over dying when the player next to you is willing to save you. Spells are a different matter, and we haven't allowed a player to cast healing unless it's their turn.
Gomcse

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » January 27th, 2018, 4:24 pm

NA rules are very clear in terms of Hero death and potions:

How A Hero Escapes Death
As a Hero, if your Body Points have been reduced to zero, there are two situations where you can save yourself:

1) If you have a Healing Potion in your possession, you can immediately drink it. The potion will instantly raise your Body Points above zero, restoring you to life.
2) If you are a spellcaster with a Healing Spell, and you have not already performed an action on your turn, you can be healed by casting the spell on yourself.

Important! After your Body Points have reached zero, you can never be saved by a fellow Hero's spell or potion. It will be too late. You will have died by the time it is your fellow Hero's turn--the only time when he can cast a spell or give you a potion.

The EQP/BQPs clarified Hero's passing of items:

*Passing Items: A Hero can pass a potion, artifact, weapon, or any other item to another Hero only if the 2 Heroes are in adjacent squares and neither Hero is adjacent to a monster.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 27th, 2018, 4:50 pm

j_dean80 wrote:NA rules are very clear in terms of Hero death and potions:

How A Hero Escapes Death
As a Hero, if your Body Points have been reduced to zero, there are two situations where you can save yourself:

1) If you have a Healing Potion in your possession, you can immediately drink it. The potion will instantly raise your Body Points above zero, restoring you to life.
2) If you are a spellcaster with a Healing Spell, and you have not already performed an action on your turn, you can be healed by casting the spell on yourself.

Important! After your Body Points have reached zero, you can never be saved by a fellow Hero's spell or potion. It will be too late. You will have died by the time it is your fellow Hero's turn--the only time when he can cast a spell or give you a potion.

*Passing Items: A Hero can pass a potion, artifact, weapon, or any other item to another Hero only if the 2 Heroes are in adjacent squares and neither Hero is adjacent to a monster.

So much this.
The point of these rules is for the heroes to "waste" spells and sink money by taking potions at 1 BP when they don'T even know they will need it.
The point is you should avoid losing your last Body point cause that's when you die.
Otherwise you could just give the heroes 9, 8, 7, and 5 BP respectively. Where do you draw the line in being soft?
The Wizard has 4 BP. That means he can lose 3 BP and still be alive, not 4.
I don't see any sense or logic in changing that.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gomcse » January 27th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Okay, I will revisit this with our group. Per the rules, it looks like you can only save yourself when you reach zero. Thanks for the clarification. If a group member wants to share a potion they'll have to do it on their turn BEFORE there is a need for it. I actually like this better.
Gomcse

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Agree with kk here... For once the rules are actually clear.
But even if you want to go by "ingame logic", being paralyzed could easily be to a degree that your feeble defenses are useless, but you can still bring a potion to your lips.

Reminds me of this (hit with freeze spray).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » June 17th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I'll admit that I broke the rules in regards to passing Healing potions. On my first playgroup with my brother and cousins: my brother was the Dwarf and in combat with an Orc. I kept rolling 3 skulls every time I attacked him, which dwindled him down to 0BP. However he was standing adjacent to the Wizard, who had a Potion of Healing. I felt bad that this was their first time playing and the Trial is too difficult for newbie heroes, so I allowed it, despite the expansion quest books stating quite to the contrary:
*Passing Items: a hero can pass a potion, weapon, artifact, or any other item to another hero only if the 2 heroes are in adjacent squares and neither hero is adjacent to a monster.
The next time we played I warned them that such an action won't be allowed anymore. Otherwise this practically negates the importance of the Elixir of Life, which is in my Alchemist shop for 800 gold.

However in a different play group, in Quest 8 The Fire Mage, the heroes had cleared out all monsters from the central room except the Fire Mage, who was backed into the corner with the Barbarian. On my turn I played the FireStorm Chaos spell. This proved fatal to the Wizard. However, the Elf was standing adjacent to him and had a Potion of Healing. Since there were no monsters adjacent to either of them, it wasn't really breaking any of the rules, so I allowed it and the Wizard was saved.

On a different note regarding the Potion of Vision, in the Elf Quest Pack, this one allows the Elf to detect all Traps and Secret Doors until he suffers 1BP of damage. Does this mean the Elf can automatically see traps and secret doors without searching even if a monster is present? Or does it just combine the two searches?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 12th, 2020, 3:20 pm

If memory serves its based on line of sight in that case, not searching, so it's an automatic ability. Pretty nifty!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » March 14th, 2021, 11:03 am

I found the EU rules (2nd edition) less than clear, at least in my interpretation (or at least that of my players - they became remarkably creative about rule interpretations on their death bed) so I'm glad I found this thread.

"If you are reduced to zero body points you are immediately eliminated"

"The Healing Potion states that it can be used at any time"

Possibly 'at any time' includes the moment that you realise that you have just been hit with enough Skulls to reduce your Body points to zero...

As a general rule I'm less bothered about differences between versions of the rules unless there is a problem with the version I am using (House Rules based on EU 2nd Edition) in which case I would look in the first instance to other versions for clarity and this below hits the spot

j_dean80 wrote:
NA rules are very clear in terms of Hero death and potions:

How A Hero Escapes Death

*Passing Items: A Hero can pass a potion, artifact, weapon, or any other item to another Hero only if both Heroes are in adjacent squares and neither Hero is adjacent to a monster.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 14th, 2021, 11:59 am

It's Zargon's call. I figured the EU version was harder because Potions can only heal you they can't save you from dying. But both versions have some things that are harder and some that are easier. NA is harder in general so the "last minute save" thing makes more sense, and you might find the Elixir of Life...

The new release "Rogar's Hall" included a very specific exception to the "save after death" rule.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » March 14th, 2021, 4:05 pm

So I was re-reading this and noticed something:

j_dean80 wrote:2) If you are a spellcaster with a Healing Spell, and you have not already performed an action on your turn, you can be healed by casting the spell on yourself.

This would only work if the Hero gets to perform an Action “out of turn”.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules