• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spell targeting: How do you play it?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Spell targeting: How do you play it?

Postby Decipher » July 27th, 2015, 1:43 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:Sounds like "in the same room" with spell targeting is the way to go at most tables :)

Decipher wrote:We play in the same room. Its no different than giving someone a potion or artifact.

So you allow that a Hero may hand off an item as long as they are in the same room? Do you allow it if monsters are around? (If so, is this move played like passing the potion over the Orc's head, like a game of Piggy in the Middle?) :lol:

Yes. They play hot potato ;) The reason I personally do in the same room is because the Wizard is so weak and doesn't get much combat so it would stink if they finally get into a battle but can't successfully cast a spell on the Hero or monster they want because of furniture or a character blocking him. I love playing the Wizard, but sometimes I think he was kind of the runt of the pack when they wrote the rules.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » July 27th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Decipher wrote:
GimmeYerGold wrote:Sounds like "in the same room" with spell targeting is the way to go at most tables :)

Decipher wrote:We play in the same room. Its no different than giving someone a potion or artifact.

So you allow that a Hero may hand off an item as long as they are in the same room? Do you allow it if monsters are around? (If so, is this move played like passing the potion over the Orc's head, like a game of Piggy in the Middle?) :lol:

Yes. They play hot potato ;) The reason I personally do in the same room is because the Wizard is so weak and doesn't get much combat so it would stink if they finally get into a battle but can't successfully cast a spell on the Hero or monster they want because of furniture or a character blocking him. I love playing the Wizard, but sometimes I think he was kind of the runt of the pack when they wrote the rules.

Easy fix for the Wizard I think is to print off the elf spell cards and make the elf choose his spells from that deck and give the wizard all four of the elemental schools.
Or give the wizard the cloak, ring and staff early in his questing life.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » July 27th, 2015, 6:42 pm

GimmeYerGold wrote:In the US Rules, Spells typically function by "line of sight," however in the UK rules, I understand they are played that you can cast a spell on any figure in the same room or corridor, OR any figure in your "line of sight."

I'm pretty sure that in the UK rules LoS is required in a corridor. Isn't that the point of the diagram? Monsters in the same room as the spellcaster are always visible. I always thought the Corridor rule was a knightkrawler home rule. As has already been discussed, some of the spells can be cast at a target 'anywhere on the board'.

I use the rule as you have written it above when creating custom 'area of effect' spells.

cynthialee wrote:Easy fix for the Wizard I think is to print off the elf spell cards and make the elf choose his spells from that deck and give the wizard all four of the elemental schools.

This is my favourite house rule for the wizard but I'm not keen on the elf spells :?
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » July 27th, 2015, 9:02 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
GimmeYerGold wrote:In the US Rules, Spells typically function by "line of sight," however in the UK rules, I understand they are played that you can cast a spell on any figure in the same room or corridor, OR any figure in your "line of sight."

I'm pretty sure that in the UK rules LoS is required in a corridor. Isn't that the point of the diagram? Monsters in the same room as the spellcaster are always visible. I always thought the Corridor rule was a knightkrawler home rule. As has already been discussed, some of the spells can be cast at a target 'anywhere on the board'.

I use the rule as you have written it above when creating custom 'area of effect' spells.

cynthialee wrote:Easy fix for the Wizard I think is to print off the elf spell cards and make the elf choose his spells from that deck and give the wizard all four of the elemental schools.

This is my favourite house rule for the wizard but I'm not keen on the elf spells :?

Me either, the Elf spells feel out of place.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » July 27th, 2015, 9:32 pm

I don't get the hateraide on the Elf Spells.
There are good spells in the pile.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » July 28th, 2015, 12:10 pm

I play LOS, but play the Fire of Wrath Eu style.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » July 28th, 2015, 12:18 pm

cynthialee wrote:I don't get the hateraide on the Elf Spells.

The Elf spells do include a bunch of powerful magics (Hypnotic Blaze in particular is one of the few area-of-effect spells available to the Heroes). However, they do not include any sources of healing or direct damage, which I suspect is what sets off most would-be Elf players.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 28th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:

The Elf spells do include a bunch of powerful magics (Hypnotic Blaze in particular is one of the few area-of-effect spells available to the Heroes). However, they do not include any sources of healing or direct damage, which I suspect is what sets off most would-be Elf players.

Yes, Hypnotic Blaze can really take the sting out of a nasty room full of monsters.
Timestop = Double turn, excellent.
Deep Sleep = Takes out a big monster like a Polar Warbear or Giant Wolf for a turn and it can't defend. Excellent again.
Flashback can be really useful when a must make attack goes wrong, and it doesn't even take up an action!
Slow, Disappear and Double Image can be useful at the right moment.
Twist Wood, Meh. I'm sure it could be usefull, but it would be few and far between.

Overall I think they are a good set of spells. Our main Elf has learnt them all in lieu of his earth spells, which are then available for the Wizard to learn.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 28th, 2015, 12:47 pm

The Admiral wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:

Yes, Hypnotic Blaze can really take the sting out of a nasty room full of monsters.
Timestop = Double turn, excellent.
Deep Sleep = Takes out a big monster like a Polar Warbear or Giant Wolf for a turn and it can't defend. Excellent again.
Flashback can be really useful when a must make attack goes wrong, and it doesn't even take up an action!
Slow, Disappear and Double Image can be useful at the right moment.
Twist Wood, Meh. I'm sure it could be usefull, but it would be few and far between.

Overall I think they are a good set of spells. Our main Elf has learnt them all in lieu of his earth spells, which are then available for the Wizard to learn.

Twist Wood is a great spell when you have enemies with bows. As it is one of my favorites to plink them to death from range, it is a good spell to have. Takes at least one archer out of the melee without a death.
Slow is awesome for an elf with a ranged attack like a crossbow. Good luck fool.
Double image would be my first move for a boss fight.
As already pointed out Flashback, Deep Sleep and Time Stop are golden. Only one I have no use for is Disappear.
The elf can use any of the melee weapons, so he can already lay down the hurt with weapons. He really doesn't need the elemental spells, especially when taking them limits the wizard and cuts the heroes off from a full list of spells.

I would take Deep Sleep, Time Stop and Slow if I was to play the Elf and I had access and choice of my spells.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » July 28th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Surprised this thread lasted as long as it did before it veered off into the Elf Spell Forest :lol:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules