• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Potions, Traps and Throwing Weapons

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Potions, Traps and Throwing Weapons

Postby el_flesh » March 1st, 2011, 9:23 pm

some DMs make the heros unable to act at zero BP, and only fully DEAD at negative their body points! Zombies keep on trying to eat the hero; skeletons, mummies & fimir ignore the fallen one, goblins and orc keep attacking him until he dies, while chaos warriors will plant their foot in the back of the fallen hero and try to make him scream for help to lure his friends. If one of them can get a healing potion to him before he expires; he comes back to life!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » March 2nd, 2011, 5:27 am

Ethica:
The location of the thrown wepon is marked with an upside-down tile.

This gives me an idea:
I could make special markers for thrown weapons. When needed, the GM takes one of these and places it at the appropriate square on the board. But instead of beeing simple placeholders, you could make them "random generators" - the markers are placed in an upside-down stack, and the GM takes the uppermost one. The markers bear different icons - e. g. a broken dagger - indicating what happened. So you bring in variety without loosing more time than placing a marker would take anyway.
Of course you would still have to make up some house rule to determine where the weapon lands...

http://www.rothoehler.de/ThrownMarker.pdf
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » March 2nd, 2011, 9:24 am

el_flesh wrote:some DMs make the heros unable to act at zero BP, and only fully DEAD at negative their body points! Zombies keep on trying to eat the hero; skeletons, mummies & fimir ignore the fallen one, goblins and orc keep attacking him until he dies, while chaos warriors will plant their foot in the back of the fallen hero and try to make him scream for help to lure his friends. If one of them can get a healing potion to him before he expires; he comes back to life!

This is all getting out of hand :!: :!: Whats wrong with the occasional DEAD Hero :?: Keeps them on their toes. Puck & I swop places, DM one quest, then Heros the next.This gives us a taste of both sides, (along with a taste of olives, marmite sangers, etc etc :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » March 2nd, 2011, 11:07 am

Big Bene wrote:This gives me an idea:
I could make special markers for thrown weapons. When needed, the GM takes one of these and places it at the appropriate square on the board. But instead of beeing simple placeholders, you could make them "random generators" - the markers are placed in an upside-down stack, and the GM takes the uppermost one. The markers bear different icons - e. g. a broken dagger - indicating what happened. So you bring in variety without loosing more time than placing a marker would take anyway.
Of course you would still have to make up some house rule to determine where the weapon lands...

http://www.rothoehler.de/ThrownMarker.pdf

I like it, but I have too many tiles to keep track of.

Got my mind thinking about putting other random events on upsidown tiles. But I'm getting drawn into the overcomplicating things again.

I would prefer to have the broken goblins axe as a marker and roll a combat dice to determine if it was broken.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jaguar69 » March 2nd, 2011, 11:52 am

Its getting to the point where my brain is hurting thinking about all these extra upside down tiles! :?

This is the danger, turning a simple game dynamic (which is why it so good in the first place!) and over doing it and making it have too many complicated rules. i am not knocking anyones thinking on this, it is good that we can all come up with homebrew ideas and new ways to improve the game, I just don't think i will use this one as it over complicates the game when there are so many other extras that I use.
For me if someone throws a weapon, i use a broken sword to place where it lands, on the roll of a 6 on a d6 the weapon shatters, simple as that! :2cents:

However this is the point of this forum, to share ideas and i would not want anyone to stop coming up with new ways of thinking, ideas, rules - as some I am sure love this idea! |_P
Jaguar69

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » March 3rd, 2011, 3:54 am

I like Heroquest for it's simplicity, too - and I don't think I'll really use the tiles I made in-game. According to the original rules, a thrown weapon is lost, period, and that's how I play.
But this thread is aboout house rules for thrown weapons (and potions etc.), so I came up with this idea.

If you are keeping track of thrown weapons, then I think my method not only adds variety, but is also easier and faster than placing a sword (or upside-down tile) and throw a dice, as it takes only one action (placing a marker) instead of two (placing a sword and roll a dice).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » March 3rd, 2011, 3:58 am

ken wrote:This is all getting out of hand :!: :!: Whats wrong with the occasional DEAD Hero :?: Keeps them on their toes. Puck & I swop places, DM one quest, then Heros the next.This gives us a taste of both sides, (along with a taste of olives, marmite sangers, etc etc :mrgreen:

The occasional dead hero is a vital part of the game. But according to the orignial rules, a hero at null BP still can drink a potion and just continue playing, so Flesh's house rules are actually more lethal.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » March 3rd, 2011, 8:26 am

Big Bene wrote:The occasional dead hero is a vital part of the game. But according to the orignial rules, a hero at null BP still can drink a potion and just continue playing, so Flesh's house rules are actually more lethal.

Where in the original rules does it say that a hero at 0 body points can drink a potion. All I can remember is the rules saying that when a hero'd body points reach 0 they are dead.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » March 3rd, 2011, 9:54 am

Actually, less lethal - this is assuming that the hero had no potion left to drink at zero body. I think our DM was using original D&D rules; where at zero you collapse and need 'medical' attention, but you had to be at -10 to actually die.

I think the HQ rules simply simplify the situation, since it really is an RPG marketed to the ~10 yr olds teenybopper niche...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » March 4th, 2011, 4:21 am

Ethica wrote:Where in the original rules does it say that a hero at 0 body points can drink a potion. All I can remember is the rules saying that when a hero'd body points reach 0 they are dead.

OK, to be precise, the original rules state that a hero can drink a potion anytime.
This can be interpreted as "even at the moment of death". When reading this thread, I got the impression that most players handle it this way (if not using house rules). But perhaps this was a misunderstanding on my part and they only drink potions when near death during Morcara's turn.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules