• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Swift Wind Spell

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Swift Wind Spell

Postby Redav » April 3rd, 2015, 7:45 am

How do people play the wording of the swift wind spell when it comes to them 'moving next' in the situation that they play the spell card before the have moved on that time? In the game tonight I allowed them to spell first and then roll four dice for their movement on that same turn. I allowed it because the quest was dragging a little so I wasn't being particularly strict. I feel the intent is that you cast the spell this turn and the effect is used next turn (just like other spells) but because the wording is 'when they next move' and not 'on their next turn', that is arguably legitimate when 'played as written'.
Last edited by Redav on April 3rd, 2015, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Swift Wind Spell

Postby Count Mohawk » April 3rd, 2015, 9:07 am

Well, first of all I believe you are referring to the spell "Swift Wind", as Tempest does much the opposite by stunning one monster for a turn. As for how it's played, the text is accurate as written; that is, if you cast it on yourself before moving, you can roll four dice for movement on that same turn. In contrast, if you Swift Wind any other Hero, or do it to yourself after having already moved, then your target will roll four dice to move on his or her next turn as normal.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Tempest Spell

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2015, 9:43 am

What Count Mohawk said.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » April 3rd, 2015, 10:12 am

To make the caster wait a turn is clearly misinterpreting the card. If you cast before you move, then you have not moved. The not so clear area would be to roll the dice, then try to cast the spell because you rolled something terrible (like a 2). The card says you roll 4 dice not 2 and 2. But here again, if there are no monsters around and the wizard is falling behind, you might decide to just take the spell from him and give him 2 more dice to keep him engaged in the game. That's against the rules, but the first rule is to have fun.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 3rd, 2015, 10:31 am

I think it should be clear from ANY game involving dice a dice roll is never seperated from the action it's rolled for.
In this case, as soon as you roll the dice for movement, you move, nothing (no action and no effect) being in between.
You can even interpret the rules (not possible: move part - take action - move rest) that way, arguing that rolling the dice is a part of the movement action in its own right.

In any game, once you rolled, that roll counts and is only modifiable or re-rolled or anything if a special rule is temporarily overruling the main rule.
HQ works that way with the main body of the rules being the rulebook, the rules wherein may be temporarily overruled by card or quest text (effects).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Swift Wind Spell

Postby Redav » April 3rd, 2015, 5:35 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:Well, first of all I believe you are referring to the spell "Swift Wind"

Yeah, I was, I was pretty tired last night when I'd posted this :lol:

Count Mohawk wrote:As for how it's played, the text is accurate as written;

Yup, fair enough. It's kinda obvious in hind sight. Cheers
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Official Rules