• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

EU vs. NA rule comparison

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: EU vs. NA rule comparison

Postby Oftkilted » Tuesday February 16th, 2021 9:48pm

My 1st edition British EU edition was red wood dice with gold pips, but they’re the exact same size as the combat dice.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » Wednesday February 17th, 2021 2:22pm

All the Italian editions I have seen had red 14mm movement dice with golden pips.
Some UK version I bought second hand had black dice instead but it is possible the previous owner swap them with another game.
All the sealed dice I've seen were in a plastic bag with a "made in germany" text and the movement dice were red, even the US Game-System features the same dice bag. :roll3: :roll5:
The only difference in the dice is the Game-System has 2 additional combat dice (a total of six+two red dice)

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » Thursday March 4th, 2021 1:57pm

We play that you can keep Treasure Card Potions between quests BUT the respective cards are removed from the Treasure Deck prior to the start of the next quest, so you don't get to stockpile them ... seems the best of both worlds.

Having now read this whole thread I'm wondering whether my new thread http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5620 should perhaps be appended on to this one. Can you merge threads? The focus on mine is a little different as I am looking to fix problems rather than just describe differences but that could just be splitting hairs. Thoughts anyone?
Next Quest: Quest for the Spirit Blade
Other Activities; Polishing my own full House Rules and working on creating my first Quest!
House Rules (HeroQuest Gold): https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1pckufkz534w ... .docx?dl=0

As a general principle* I use EU 2e rules but where they are not clear or otherwise problematic then I look to other versions for clarity / improvement before resorting to house rules

*By general principle I mean I ignore it when it suits me
Bareheaded Warrior

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Davane » Thursday March 4th, 2021 3:28pm

Oftkilted wrote:My 1st edition British EU edition was red wood dice with gold pips, but they’re the exact same size as the combat dice.

It's worth noting that the red wood dice with gold pips are standard Monopoly dice, which is another franchise that MB (now Hasbro) were known for. For people who didn't know polyhedral dice, the six-sided dice were often referred to as Monopoly dice...
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

RandoQuest

Hire my skills on Fiverr!
Davane

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » Thursday March 4th, 2021 4:07pm

HeroQuest-Opoly ! |_P

Interesting stuff. My family had one of the "deluxe" editions (?) of Monopoly in the 80's, so it had big ("standard") plastic white d6's with the black pips. The houses and hotels were plastic and there was a tray for the banker and a little spinny plastic wheel for the title deed cards. My grandma had an old set that had wooden houses/hotels (and less variety in the metal tokens) but I don't remember what the dice were like, probably lost long ago and replaced by some generic dice. There was a super fancy limited edition advertised in magazines at the time that was a wooden box with drawers and velvet lining, and other fancy stuff, maybe gold pieces? Transparent or metal dice? Of course fast forward four decades and there's a monopoly edition for everything... hence Hero Quest!

A few years back my family also got one of those "game tables" that have a leaf (I guess you'd call it) in the center with laminated wooden boards that you can flip over and stack up, each for a different game. So you've got your classic chess/checkers board, backgammon, and one of them was Monopoly. It would be cool to make a Hero Quest one to add to it, even if it would be slightly smaller than the actual board, maybe with the logo shaved off to save space.
Kurgan

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Previous

Return to Official Rules