• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Incorrectly Played Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby alyndavies » July 7th, 2015, 3:29 pm

drathe wrote:
alyndavies wrote:For some strange reason we all had Hero Quest, but only one of us has Wizards Cloak and Bracers equipment cards so we used to bring those cards along to games so he could defend with 6.

The cloak and bracers were introduced in the second edition replacing the duplicate helmet and shield.

Yeah I gathered it was something along those lines, oddly enough when we started to grow out of the game I managed to get those 2 cards off my friend and still have them to this day.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby -wyvern- » August 2nd, 2015, 5:48 pm

When i first started playing, i had this stupid house rule that the barbarian could swing his sword completely around him (one attack roll) harming any creatures in any square adjacent to him. It was devastating for goblins and such creatures.

I also tried to convince my players that they should only use the weapons that were physically on the miniature of their character.

What can I say, I was a kid.
-wyvern-

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » August 2nd, 2015, 7:36 pm

that barbarian rule is p cool actually :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby -wyvern- » August 2nd, 2015, 10:50 pm

Yeah, it was cool. Was a little too much like a videogame. :-)
-wyvern-

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby alyndavies » August 5th, 2015, 3:07 pm

the barbarian is too over powered anyway that swinging sword thing is cheating :P
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 4th, 2015, 6:02 pm

I believe my old group has handled NA treasure searches wrong. We used to allow the other three Heroes to take Treasure Cards after the first Hero had discovered special treasure from the Quest Notes. "A room may be searched by all four Heroes..." and "The special treasure is discovered only once by the first Hero who searches the room for treasure, even if other Heroes later search that same room"; both of those statements led us to believe the point of later treasure searches by other Heroes was to take Treasure Cards. We didn't consider that the text of the last sentence was instead only to exclude the possibility of a special treasure from being repeatedly awarded.

After thinking through the logic of why only single searches are allowed in the EU rules (see another thread), I've at last come to identify the same limitation in the NA rules where a room contains special treasure: only one treasure search is allowed. "If there is no special treasure called out to Zargon in the Quest Book, you, as a Hero, must draw a random card from the Treasure Card deck . . .." Conversely, if there is special treasure called out, Heroes may NOT draw a Treasure Card. After the first search finds the special treasure, no other searches are possible.

I'd even go so far as to say an empty chest or weapons rack with useless weapons could count as special treasure from the notes--it has a description, even if not positive. That means no treasure for the room!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SirRick » February 17th, 2016, 7:08 pm

When i first received the game i was too young to understand the rules, and i played each combat back and forth to the death. As soon as i got the patience to actually read the rule book, then i knew what i was doing wrong.

Even after that we played that when a hero was killed, a spell caster could immediately save him with a healing spell. It was years before we realized that was agaisnt the rules.

When searching for treasure, we all thought only one search could be done per room, so there was a lot of competition for who would get to search for treasure. Sometimes people would avoid killing monsters so they could let someone else kill the monster instead, so they might get the chance to search on their next turn. It was only years after we stopped playing this game that I realized that every hero can search for treasure in the same room. We never realized the treasure deck needed to be shuffled every time as well.

As for line of sight, when casting spells, fellow heroes did not block line of sight, but we did not allow ranged weapons to be used this way, unless they were trying to shoot past the dwarf. We ruled that he was so short, he did not block line of sight. This was more meta-gaming because we knew we were doing it incorrectly.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 18th, 2016, 6:41 am

[This post was copied and split into a new topic, Removing Falling Block Traps, on 8/23/16.]

So... falling block traps UK edition. By the rules the dwarf and tool kit can remove these.

Page 12 5th line
Pit traps and falling block traps are placed on the board when found

Dwarf...
you may remove any visible traps in the same room or corridor

As the quote still refers to the falling block trap as a trap even though it no longer is, technically the dwarf can remove this. The mechanic should state somewhere that the falling block is now no longer a trap, unless they want it to remain so.

The rest of the paragraph on page 12 goes on to say about the tool kit and the dwarf. How they can remove a trap from the board. As the opening line says "falling block traps are placed on the board", they can be removed. I guess thematically, if the tool kit holder was to attempt to remove the falling block trap, after it had fell, rolling a skull signifies more rocks falling on them.

Thanks to the Quest for the Spirit Blade, where falling block traps aren't falling block traps, we've never revealed falling block traps when searching, just simply pointing out the dangerous square, which we have to remember.

Also Barak Tor, which waits for the last Hero to pass. If the dwarf can remove this as the rules suggest, it break this quest feature. THOUGHTS???
Last edited by Daedalus on August 22nd, 2016, 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added link to split topic

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » February 18th, 2016, 7:05 am

Once a falling block trap has been activated, the rock tile is placed but the trap no longer exists so I'd say the dwarf can't remove that
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 18th, 2016, 7:49 am

Can add some spells to this list. US Courage only allows one attack with two extra dice and Treasure Horde, Invisibility and Future Sight from WoM can be cast on other targets because the 'you' in the descriptions refers to the target of the spell, not the caster.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules