• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Loaded

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Loaded

Postby Redav » November 6th, 2013, 5:13 pm

So, we've slowly been playing through the original EU quests and we're up the last two and one of the characters has coin coming out of their ears. Yes, I'd imagine that's an uncomfortable condition but it's the dwarf so I'm not surprised. She's been asking what's all this money for when they've bought all the stuff they need. I know that some of the rarer quests have mercs for hire but without going into house rules, I was wondering whether there was anything else they can spend their spoils on?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Loaded

Postby Count Mohawk » November 6th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Mostly the gold is pennies from heaven. Once everybody has battle axe / longsword, chainmail, helmet, and shield, it's useless cash. Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord had an alchemy shop attached to the quest book for potion-buying, but otherwise there's no gold sink in the original rulesets anywhere.

In houserule-land, though... :twisted:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 6th, 2013, 5:21 pm

As you said mercs, but also potions. All the US expansions has a page with potions you can buy at crazy prices.
And that's really that...

Other than that... focus your killing power on the dwarf!
Don't let her get away with accumulating so much wealth!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 6th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Hookers. Beer. Cheese. Meth. Games Workshop.

Seriously... without going into house rules there's nothing.
Consult one of these nifty little tables and lists chaoticprime has compiled with tactics for the Evil Wizard player within the original rules. I have no link handy right now.

Other than that you have to houserule here and there. Make skills for them to "buy" (nice little goals to keep players over longer periods interested), spell upgrades, potions to be bought, a stealing monster (successful attack means it gets away with the hero's money pouch).
Start by only allowing 1 or 2 searches per room. This has been playtested, the heroes max out on game system equipment after Kellar's Keep, not in the middle of the game system if you take the right measures. get a second and third deck of treasure cards, mix two decks -> one with medium gold amounts and few dangers for the first search in a room, one with less gold cards (but the greater as well as the smaller amounts, by trend) and far more hazards for the second search. Make them use their healing potions.
There's much much more if you open yourself to houserules.
Oh, and hookers.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 6th, 2013, 5:40 pm

The hookers can be acquired at knightkrawler's lawn apparently.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 6th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » November 6th, 2013, 6:54 pm

chaoticprime wrote:I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.

That's not so easy with EU rules :(

Houserules and hookers seems to be the popular answer
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 6th, 2013, 7:39 pm

The Road Warrior wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:I usually kill Heroes and take their stuff often enough that they continually must buy more--sort of just like how the game was designed to be played.

That's not so easy with EU rules :(

Houserules and hookers seems to be the popular answer

Oh, yeah, duh. I missed the whole point of this made clear by the OP when he stated the rules-edition.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Redav » November 6th, 2013, 9:53 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Start by only allowing 1 or 2 searches per room.

I'd already limited them to searching rooms once. :lol:

I must admit I haven't killed them at all. With the WU rules it hasn't been overly easy but I haven't tried too hard to kill any. Came close though.

Funny story though, they did the 3rd last quest to get the Star from the zombie in Witch Lords barrow and one of the dwarf started going backwards and broke the seal. The others had gone the other way and I ended up letting them finishing the quest after I blocked the exit with the Witch Lord. He stood there laughing at them while they bolted for the stairs. :lol:

I'm thinking I might move them to vanilla US rules after they've finish the original quest book.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 6th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Kill them. They're scum.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules