• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Movement over other characters

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Movement over other characters

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » July 30th, 2013, 7:18 am

f.i. Can a monster move over another monster to finish its movement on a non-occupied space?

As I have seen, US-Rules do allow movement over friendly characters for heroes (p. 13) but do neither prohibit nor allow this explicitly for monsters (p. 21). EU-Rules on the other hand allow movement over friendly (and even enemy) characters for heroes and monsters if the other player agrees (p. 8).

Do you consider the omission of a clear statement for monsters in the US-Rules to be intentional, so that monsters (unlike heroes) are not allowed to move over friendly characters?
Guybrush Threepwood

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Movement over other characters

Postby tasoe » July 30th, 2013, 7:32 am

I'd be surprised if anyone here plays the game so that monsters cannot pass over other monsters.
It goes without saying in my opinion that monsters can move through each other as they please.

Otherwise the exception for ogres (that they cannot pass over or be passed over) is worthless but then again this was in the AtOH rulebook so it's following the EU guideline anyway.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 30th, 2013, 9:13 am

My first argument for allowing monsters to move through each other is exactly what tasoe said.
If it wasn't allowed the ogre rule wouldn't exist in the first place.

Secondly the rules for heroes and monsters are very much the same with a few logical exceptions (Monsters can't search etc.).
It would be strange if a rule regarding basic movement would be different.

But whether there actually exist a paragraph describing this rule for monsters I do not know.
Regardless I'm 100% pro allowing it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 30th, 2013, 9:38 am

Same here. heroes may pass heroes, monsters may pass monsters, except ogres. Monsters may not pass heroes, and heroes may not pass monsters.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » July 31st, 2013, 2:52 am

Yes, that's the way we play it too!

If such an important difference really were to be intentional they would have put it explicitly.
Guybrush Threepwood

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » July 31st, 2013, 7:59 am

Monsters can move through heroes and monsters. They cannot share a space with any hero, but no where in the rules does it specify that they cannot pass through one. It specifies that Heroes cannot move through monsters, and that neither Heroes or monsters can pass through blocked squares.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 31st, 2013, 11:14 am

True for the Awesome North American version.
German (and UK/EU) rules state that a figure may pass through any figure whose player allows it.

Mind you that the special rule for Ogres makes sense for the EU rule system because AtOH is an EU quest pack with special rules written to accomodate the EU game system rule I presented above.
As such, the Ogre special rule is irrelevant for the NA base rules.
If apllied to North American game system Rules As Written, the special rule would make no difference whatsoever.
Last edited by knightkrawler on July 31st, 2013, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby bruenor » July 31st, 2013, 12:02 pm

We take it like this, Monsters are just that. Monsters.

If there is more than one they will more than likely fall over each other to either attack the players or if they are weakened enough run away from the players, thus pushing and shoving each other out the way to get to or away from the heroes.
Therefore monsters passing each other is allowed in our games.
Heroes we leave upto the party itself, if the wizard wants to pass the barbarian, then (if I'm DM'ing), I'll ask the barbarian if he will let the wizard past.
Can make for some hilarious situations, also some really nice parties with selfless heroic acts to save others by shielding them from passing and thus entering danger and certain death.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
bruenor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 31st, 2013, 12:10 pm

chaoticprime wrote:Monsters can move through heroes and monsters. They cannot share a space with any hero, but no where in the rules does it specify that they cannot pass through one. It specifies that Heroes cannot move through monsters, and that neither Heroes or monsters can pass through blocked squares.

*Spits sodapop all over the screen*

Are you actually suggesting that monsters can move freely through heroes (and monsters) as long as they end their turn on an empty square?
I'm a strong believer that this is a case of RAW vs RAI. As I wrote before, why would they make such a difference in how the rules work for heroes and monsters.
I seem to remember the need to ask permission to pass through too. Surely that applies to monsters too.

:orc: Grunt Snort! Me pass through please?
:wizard: Dafuk?! NO!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 31st, 2013, 12:11 pm

See my edited last post, G-K, about the ask-for-permission part.
You're right about EU rules, chaoticprime is right about NA rules.
AtOH special rules do not apply to NA rules before alignment. That's my firm belief.
Last edited by knightkrawler on July 31st, 2013, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules