• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Announcing Monster Body Points

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Announcing Monster Body Points

Postby chaoticprime » July 23rd, 2013, 7:45 am

I have been playing the part of Dungeon Master in D&D for about twenty-years. I will not hesitate to lie about my dice rolls, because I am entitled to do that by "Rule Zero." I will not do that while playing the Evil Wizard in Heroquest. I see that role as being in competition with the Hero players. To that effect, I make all my die rolls out in the open. I do not even use the screen. I play the role of DM like a story-teller; I play the role of Evil Wizard like a player trying to win. I do not play any game to be a referee.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jewels! » July 23rd, 2013, 1:05 pm

I always roll in the open. Partly because we have to share the HeroQuest dice around the board but mostly because it lets me watch the players' faces drop when black shields come up.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 23rd, 2013, 3:03 pm

chaoticprime wrote:I have been playing the part of Dungeon Master in D&D for about twenty-years. I will not hesitate to lie about my dice rolls, because I am entitled to do that by "Rule Zero." I will not do that while playing the Evil Wizard in Heroquest. I see that role as being in competition with the Hero players. To that effect, I make all my die rolls out in the open. I do not even use the screen. I play the role of DM like a story-teller; I play the role of Evil Wizard like a player trying to win. I do not play any game to be a referee.

I agree about the trying to win part and that HQ is a competition game. I also roll in the open.
If you don't, nobody will believe you that you just rolled :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield:
Yout opponents, the players, want to SEE that roll, as you want to see the Dwarf roll :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

Rolling in the open makes for the competition; rolling behind the screen is playing god... or referee.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 23rd, 2013, 5:13 pm

I see it as a competitive game too. The strange part is that the Evil Wizard can make his own quests.
I often claim that everything is legal as long as it's in the quest notes.
But once the quest is written and the heroes enter, the arena is set. Now both heroes and Evil Wizard must try and win with whatever means they have available in that particular quest.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » July 23rd, 2013, 8:22 pm

Goblin-King wrote:I see it as a competitive game too. The strange part is that the Evil Wizard can make his own quests.
I often claim that everything is legal as long as it's in the quest notes.
But once the quest is written and the heroes enter, the arena is set. Now both heroes and Evil Wizard must try and win with whatever means they have available in that particular quest.

My custom Quests are usually quite difficult, but also very rewarding. I like traps; monster encounters are so much better when the Elf, Wizard and Dwarf have to watch as the Barbarian falls into a pit-trap on square in front of the orc he was charging and is subsequently scalped by a two-foot meat-cleaver.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 1:50 pm

I announce everything and roll the dice visible to all as Zargon. We played a quest once (where I wasn't Zargon) with a boss monster that had secret body points (and could heal an unspecified number of times). I admit it was quite suspenseful...

I play competitively. Within the rules, Zargon does what he can to win, same with the Heroes. As Zargon I want it to be a challenge, but I know if I beat them too badly they won't want to play again, so there's that too... While others in our group would play it more like the generous GM who makes it seem challenging but really he's trying NOT to kill off the heroes (like the Japanese rules suggest).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous