• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Announcing Monster Body Points

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Announcing Monster Body Points

Postby Redav » July 21st, 2013, 11:26 pm

Off the back of the :gargoyle: Stoneform question... do people announce how many BP monsters have? Naturally as players play more games and gain experience with what BP regular monsters have, but when the specials surface, do you tell them up front or wait for them to ask or tell them nothing? I'd imagine if I were playing an Iron HeroQuest game then I'd not be handing out any info.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Announcing Monster Body Points

Postby chaoticprime » July 21st, 2013, 11:41 pm

The base game rule instruct you to set out the Monster Cards to be referenced by the Heroes. There are no such instructions regarding special monsters. Chaos Warlock-portrayed enemies are done this way for obvious reasons--you can't use the same image for (x) number of Monster Cards. I do not typically announce special enemies' stats, but will report them if asked. Integral strategy in being a Hero is planning actions around these attributes. Its not D&D, its a board game. And board games rarely have secret rules.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 22nd, 2013, 2:22 am

That's the way I handle it.
If asked I'll even break the stats down to natural skills and equipment bonuses.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bruenor » July 22nd, 2013, 2:40 am

I never do, keeps the player in suspense, thinking it's a lowly goblin when its a champion.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
bruenor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » July 22nd, 2013, 2:52 am

That's outruled by me using special minis for special monsters.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » July 22nd, 2013, 3:28 am

In our games the DM keeps the monster cards behind the screen for reference. Players will find out themselves.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » July 22nd, 2013, 10:00 pm

Seeing as I haven't played with a group in forever, I actually do not have any experience with this situation coming up.
Me personally, though, I would not tell them. As stated, the players will figure those things out on their own, and they'll
soon learn that MOST of a type of monster will go down after a certain number of skulls hits it.

yes, HQ is a board game, but a board game based on the back of role playing games, and I like to play as such as much as
possible. I'm sure everyone has figured that out from all of the additions and changes I've made through the rules and such.

That's just me.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 23rd, 2013, 1:10 am

Well the normal monsters' stats aren't secret so it never even occurred to me to keep special monsters' stats secret.

But the obvious case to drag into this discusion is the awesome Gargoyle BELLTHOR from RotWL.
As a plot device his poison gas knocks out the players and if they kill him he just explodes in a burst of poison gas, knocking the remaining heroes out anyway.
I think it's fair to say the Evil Wizard isn't supposed to explain these mechanics to the players before they actually happen.
If this represents the general way to do it or if it's just a special case scenario is anyone's guess.

Explain or keep it secret. Both work I suppose.
As long as none of you are super secret jerks and roll the defend dice one at a time to defend with as few rolls as possible to keep their actual defense a secret as long as possible!

Sjeng seems like the type who would do this
;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 23rd, 2013, 7:14 am

Goblin-King wrote:As long as none of you are super secret jerks and roll the defend dice one at a time to defend with as few rolls as possible to keep their actual defense a secret as long as possible!

Sjeng seems like the type who would do this
;)

Huh? If you roll the defense dice one at a time, all the players have to do is count your rolls. If you throw them all at once, it's their guess how many dice you rolled. Unless it's just one. And I don't tell. I roll behind my screen :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » July 23rd, 2013, 7:23 am

Sjeng wrote: And I don't tell. I roll behind my screen :D

Very Sneeky.

Behind his screen Sjeng secretly rolls: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

but tells his players he rolled :blackshield: :blackshield: :blackshield:

Never playing with you ;)
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules