• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching with monsters present--allowed!

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Searching with monsters present--allowed!

Postby knightkrawler » August 19th, 2013, 2:00 am

Daedalus wrote:"...you may search a room for treasure only if the room is uninhabited by monsters." This still allows for the inconsistancy where a monster can be just outside the room in an open doorway, completely visible, while a Hero searches undisturbed beyond some kind of invisible barrier.

We did always play it that way. One of the few moments where nobody wanted to dispute the rules.

Daedalus wrote:
    Any trap or secret door in a room or
    corridor may be searched for and
    found if no monster is visible and
    able to reach the Hero on its turn,
    and moving to the trap or secret
    door wouldn't make such a monster
    visible.

That works out perfectly for me and my little game. Thanks for wording my ideas better than I could have myself. Like so often.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » September 9th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Redav wrote:
Daedalus wrote:There is a searching-with-monsters rule I haven't yet played by the book, but it is controversial and most anybody would rather play it intuitively by house-ruling. http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1810

It's controversial because it's using selected parts of the book that are taken out of context. That line of sight diagram relates to casting and missiles and the rules are clear that you cannot search a room while a monster is in there.

At a stretch, it might apply to searching corridors which defeats the purpose as you'll have to search again to search the bit of the corridor that you couldn't see. But people are free to house rule what they please.

My choice of words could have been better. I should say "...but it is controversial and most anybody would rather interpret the rules intuitively." Making an association between the restrictions of searching a room for treasure and applying it to the similar cases of searching for traps and secret doors makes a lot of sense for pretty much everybody--and for good reason, as the connection is simple and creates a single, easy-to-remember requirement. However, this reasoning also requires information to be taken out of context by applying the "uninhabited by monsters" treasure-search requirement to searches for traps and secret doors, which don't contain that wording.

I'm interested in the alternative interpretation from my thread because it acknowledges the difference of cases. (I'm only going to consider NA rules here.) Searching for treasure states "...you may search a room for treasure only if the room is uninhabited by monsters." Searching for traps or secret doors both state "...you can only search for traps if no monsters are visible to you." I consider the difference of wording part of a design distinction that deliberately differentiates treasure searches from trap and secret door searches.

In that light, the word "visible" becomes key, not to be substituted. It is true one must reference the line-of-sight rules for spell casting to find what is considered visible. I think that is expected, just as the same rules must be referenced in order to use a crossbow or dagger from the Armory. The main difference is the use of quotes for "see" as a pointer to the LOS rules. Visible doesn't contain quotes, though it is the result of seeing. Also, missile weapons work well with the term "target" found in the LOS rules. However, referring to a visible monster interfering with a search as the target is a bit clunky. The LOS connection to trap and secret door searches isn't 100%. Same goes for applying "uninhabited by monsters" to all searches. Interpretation is required in both cases. Why do I choose to differentiate with LOS?

I believe one reason for the two descriptions is based on the more regular, rectangular shapes of rooms vs. the more variable, interconnected lengths of corridors. The total area to be considered in a room is easily determined because all of the interior angles close in together as a single whole. What can be used as the pertinent area in a corridor is more complex because connecting corridors wrap around corners with exterior angles that have a restricted diagonal line of sight. Also, the double and single corridors share overlapping squares. I think these differences suggested a need for line of sight to more efectively handle the relatedness of corridors.

Another possible rational for two separate search wordings relates to the object of the search. By requiring a room to be uninhabited by monsters for a treasure search, the Hero or Heroes must control the entire zone--probably through killing the monsters. Treasure serves as a reward for successfully finishing the area. By allowing a trap or secret door to be found when no monsters are visible, a team of Heroes may control line of sight and locate a threat or secret route even if a monster is still within a room. This opens up actions for rear players like the Wizard to reduce hidden threats and provide new movement options when escape or some other non-combat strategy would be useful.

In corridors, there is a purpose for using line of sight to determine eligibility for finding a trap or secret door. Consider the the differences of cases below. In Illustration 1, the Barbarian can find the trap (marked "T") from his position using both "uninhabited by monsters" and "no monsters visible". In Illustration 2, the Barbarian can't find the trap using "uninhabited by monsters", but he can find it using "no monsters visible." In Illustration 3, the Barbarian can't find the trap from anywhere in the double-square corridor using "uninhabited by monsters", but he can find the trap from all of the squares marked with a Barbarian icon using "no monsters visible."

.. .ILLUSTRATION 1. . . . . . . . ILLUSTRATION 2. . . .r . . . .ILLUSTRATION 3
_ _ .. . . . .____.____. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .____.____r . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .____.____
_ .. . . . . .|____|____|. r . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|____|____|_ . . . . . . . _. . . . . . .|_ :barbarian: _|_ :barbarian: _|
_ .. . . . . .|____|____|. r . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|____|____|_ . . . . . . . _. . . . . . .|_ :barbarian: _|_ :barbarian: _|
. ____.____|_ :barbarian: _|____|____ . . . . . . ____.____|____|____|____ . . . . . . ____.____|_ :dwarf: _|____|____
"|_ :fimir: _|_ :dwarf: _|____|_T_|____|. . . . . .|_ :fimir: _|_ :dwarf: _|_ :barbarian: _|_T_|____|. . r . . .|____|____|_ :fimir: _|_T_|____|

I think Illustration 3 provides a good look at why many are opposed to "no monsters visible." If the Barbarian is to discover the trap, it stands to reason that his assumed movement during that activity will bring him closer to the monster, revealing it as a visible threat. This, and other faults previously mentioned in this thread are part of the failing of assumed movement during searches rather than LOS. Hero Quest is a simplified version of an RPG fantasy experience using a board game format. To be quick and fun, simulation sometimes suffers in favor of easy rules. That's why I'll go with a house rule after giving just the LOS-searching-with-monsters interpretation a trial run.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » September 9th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Heroquest does not try to be realistic in any way. For instance, real humans only have three body points.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » September 10th, 2014, 12:37 am

chaoticprime wrote:Heroquest does not try to be realistic in any way. For instance, real humans only have three body points.

Sarcasm: I would have to disagree. I believe 8th graders only have 3BP. /Sarcasm

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » September 10th, 2014, 10:43 pm

IvenBach wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:Heroquest does not try to be realistic in any way. For instance, real humans only have three body points.

Sarcasm: I would have to disagree. I believe 8th graders only have 3BP. /Sarcasm

The only way to settle this is to see how many sword strokes it takes to kill someone. I do have the black belt in sword-fighting (albeit Japanese), so I do the hew. Any volunteers to act as the subject of the test?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Redav » September 10th, 2014, 10:50 pm

No but I'd suggest taking on a boxer. They seem to have a lot of hit points

*boom* *tish* :P
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » September 10th, 2014, 10:52 pm

There isn't a boxer alive today, or ever before, that could get around my 60" reach with another 46" of samurai sword.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » September 10th, 2014, 11:22 pm

I agree that most games are quite generous when it comes to taking damage, hence the tag I used. Are there actually any gaming systems that keep hp and defense stuff relatively low where combat is still perilous for even stronger characters? I know I'd get frustrated if a lame lvl1 creature could still kill my character after putting effort into getting him stronger.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Redav » September 10th, 2014, 11:42 pm

In the Lone Wolf gamebooks your character advanced through skill and weapon / item bonuses and I think the base numbers increased sometimes but as you worked your way through the books, the enemies became stronger.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » September 11th, 2014, 12:09 am

You were talking about a guy that puts things in boxes, right?

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules