• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Rule question: Casting a Healing Spell to save yourself

Postby chaoticprime » July 9th, 2013, 7:20 pm

bastianbux wrote:My issue with the wording is the "have" rather than "did". "Have" means there's still the possibility in the future to do so. If they meant to say that should your Wizard not have used any actions, THEN he can go ahead and use one now out of turn-- during Zargon's turn--to cast the healing spell... then I would have expected them to word it something like: "If you are a spellcaster with a Healing Spell, and you did not perform an action on your turn, you can be healed by casting the spell on yourself." That not being the case, and the fact that they added in an "already" in there really makes it seem to me like either what Daedalus is asserting is the case (that this is only meant to save spellcasters from dying during traps) or that the wording is just funky and they mean to allow spellcasters to use the healing spell on themselves, which then uses up their next action.

Mostly: Potions of Healing can be used upon death to bring a Hero back to 4BP, so why would they restrict the spell to the Hero's PREVIOUS turn (which has already past) on the happenstance that said Hero did not--for whatever reason--use up an Action during that last turn. Really, it should affect the future turn any way you slice it.

chaoticprime wrote:Play the game however you want. If you want the "spirit" of the rules to ignore the rules-as-written, that's your call.

That's obviously not the case. I prefer to adhere to the rules-as-written as much as possible. Which is why I'm hung up on "have" and "already" since both seem to confuse the matter.

From what you just wrote here, I can tell I won't be able to explain to you the point, nor why its not a bonus ability manifested through spontaneous precognition, anyway.

No need to be condescending. :P

Its does not say "have," it says "have not."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » July 10th, 2013, 3:45 pm

chaoticprime wrote:This has always been crystal to me. If the Spellcaster does not Attack, Cast A Spell or Search on his turn, he can use a Healing Spell to bail himself out if he is critically wounded on Zargon's turn. It does exactly as written. I just do not see any gray area of interpretation. Do I have to make my "Can Vs. Cannot" in Game Theory speech again?

Oh yes, you will have to make this speech again...and again...and again...

Lots of personality types here at the Inn, and we all know best.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » July 10th, 2013, 4:42 pm

chaoticprime wrote:
Its does not say "have," it says "have not."

Yes, I know. My point is rather than "had not" it says "have not" which implies that there is still the possibility.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » March 25th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Stumbled on this interesting discussion while trolling around looking for that pesky Chaos warrior.

I have always thought the rule quite clear. If a Spellcaster performed no action on his turn i.e. only moved. Then if he is killed on Zargon's following turn he may immediately interject with a healing spell and save himself. The spellcaster is saving his Action i.e. casting a spell, for Zargon's turn.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules