• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 30th, 2021 4:14am

[Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread]

Leathaface79 wrote:My 12yo son and I just finished the 1st quest, we used the app to play as Zargon. I was the barbarian and wizard, he was the elf and dwarf. I let him choose where we went and was cringing inside when he steered us to the cha…err I mean Dread Warriors. Was a tough battle but used both healing spells and fire spells and tempest to survive. We got lucky finding a healing potion and used that vs the Gargoyle as well as sleep on the other dread warrior with him. Stoneskin and courage saved us but after clearing the room we had to just head back to the stairs. Never went up to the top half of the map.

Was a lot of fun. Liked using app for Zargon.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 30th, 2021 4:14am

Kurgan wrote:On the Hasbro page talking about the App:

Our developers also included several additional options in the app. One such option was added due to feedback we received from our amazing HeroQuest backers – we found players had different interpretations when it came to movement rules interacting with the game furniture. Therefore, our team added a toggle in the options menu for “intangible furniture” which allows heroes and monsters to move through spaces that on the board contain furniture.

Another option available to players is the ability to save the state of your game to be continued later. Tapping the “back” arrow in the upper left will ask if you want to save your quest before exiting the app. Alternatively, you can tap the “settings” button in the upper right corner, and then “Exit to Title” to save. Once a quest is saved it will appear on the title screen so you can quickly resume that quest. Should you want to change your active quest, tap “New Quest” on the title screen. You can then select or create a party and select a new quest for that party.

Should you have any other custom “house rules” or options you would like to see included, we hope you share your ideas with us to add to future versions of the app!

And speaking of those future versions, we consider the launch of the HeroQuest Companion App as just the beginning. Our focus for launch was to deliver the HeroQuest Game System core quest book and build the foundation of a Digital Zargon experience. We are committed to improving and expanding the HeroQuest Companion App over time. As announced in the app, we will be adding Kellar’s Keep and the Return of the Witch Lord digital quest books in the near future.

We are also fully committed to supporting our fans. We are in this together and your feedback is essential to the development of this experience. So PLEASE, let us know your feedback and what app feature, success or failure, is most important to you. We hope to add even more digital quest content in the future.

You can reach out to the Avalon Hill team on Twitter either @AvalonHill or to Zargon himself @HeroQuest. You can also find us on Instagram @AvalonHillGames.

Now get out there and QUEST!

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/avalon-hill/heroquest-companion-app-details-and-release-date?_kx=pXISDXXeHckEM50aV7bMy96RFzXO0jQw8VaV3-tj0A8%3D.LqpvWS
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 30th, 2021 4:15am

muscularis wrote:
Kurgan wrote:I'm told you might have success using a VPN...

Thanks for the reply Kurgan, but that was the first thing I tried! Apparently App stores note your initial location then go out of their way to prevent you changing that, even if you log into them from "another country". There is an option to change your location in the app store, but apparently you can only do that once per year and even then they reset your play store points? bastards. :orc:
Never mind. I assume they will release versions for other countries in time.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 30th, 2021 4:28am

elvyler wrote:
muscularis wrote:
Kurgan wrote:I'm told you might have success using a VPN...

Thanks for the reply Kurgan, but that was the first thing I tried! Apparently App stores note your initial location then go out of their way to prevent you changing that, even if you log into them from "another country". There is an option to change your location in the app store, but apparently you can only do that once per year and even then they reset your play store points? bastards. :orc:
Never mind. I assume they will release versions for other countries in time.

Sounds like it's not intentionally region locked. Apparently it just takes some time for it to become available in app stores for various regions:
https://mobile.twitter.com/heroquest/st ... 1213520905
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

muscularis wrote:Thanks Elvyler!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Kurgan wrote:Looks like when I try to install the app I get the dreaded "connect to my apps to connect to the server" glitch. Otherwise I was gonna try it out on a smartphone emulator. Oh well.... . .
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 30th, 2021 4:29am

ajjohnsen wrote:I feel bad since the app worked right away for me and doesn't have any glitches as far as I can tell. It dies however suffer from a lack of usefulness in my opinion since I'd always have a Zargon present anyway
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

cynthialee wrote:the best use for the ap is as a quest book replacement. For that part I was pretty stoked on it. They could turn that app into a full on HQ game so easy. Most the work is already done.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Leathaface79 wrote:I downloaded the app first on my iPad Air 2 (About 8 years old) and even though the app store said my iPad was compatible, the app won't even load to the main screen and crashes back the the iPad screen. I downloaded it then to my iPhone 8+ and it worked just fine. Overall like others have said, I wish there was an undo button or a restart quest button. I went in the first quest and played around with it just to figure it out, but was disappointed that I couldn't start over, but in a few min, I deleted the started quest and clicked the "New Quest" button, reset the party and began a new. Minor inconvenience.

I loved playing as the hero's with my son and letting the app play as Zargon. I think my son liked it as well, I was able to coach him on some tactics. I think we may take a crack at the X-Men Danger room....I mean Rogar's Hall, together and I'll just play the part of Zargon as well. I wish they had that Rogar's Hall quest in the app as well. Maybe a future upgrade will add it since it's on Hasbro's official site.. . .
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Re: Companion App is out and free?

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday November 30th, 2021 5:03am

HispaZargon wrote:

I have already downloaded and played a little bit with the app and I think it works fine for its purpose, good news.

There are some interesting topics I have noticed in the app:

- The simple additional art for events with same looking as cards is really appreciated. Now we can see for the first time how Wardoz, Fellmarg's Guard, Balur, Witch Lord's Tomb or the Star of the West look like according to an official source.

- The Warlock can only use the 3 spells from her own deck. She cannot use any other Elemental Spells. I thought the Warlock was more or less equivalent to the Wizard in the number of spells she could cast but she is not, according to the app and I think it is correct according to its Character Sheet that just says "Count as wizard hero in terms of which weapons, artifacts, and equipment they can use" (nothing told about spells).

- The stats of all major villains (Balur, Witch Lord, etc.) are unknown for the human players. I mean, the app does not show all the atribbutes of those characters like for common monsters, it only shows a few ones, the rest are considered secret. Of course when they roll dice for attacking or defending you can see how many dice they roll, but not before. This is a free decission for making the app since no dedicated rule is said in the rulebook related to this.

- In the app, Sir Ragnar cannot attack but he CAN search for traps and secret doors !!!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items