• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hunting the Unreleased Quests

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Hunting the Unreleased Quests

Postby wallydubbs » November 29th, 2018, 3:49 pm

The Admiral wrote:Something clearly happened. The Wizard Quest pack was finished and work done on the Dwarf pack. Then it all stopped :(

I am very curious regarding this wizard quest pack you speak of. I feel the Wizard was never given an adequate roll. He was always there to suppor the other heroes but never got to play a detrimental part of the quests.

Well, I put this much research into it so far, I'm tempted to do some fieldwork... I can't contact Milton Bradley, it doesn't exist anymore, but it was subsumed by Hasbro Games in 2009. It's a longshot, but not impossible for someone to still be around that worked on it. The production center in Springfield was moved to East Longmeadow, still in Massachusetts. I am one state away, maybe one of these weekends I'll take a drive.

Where did you hear about this mythical Wizard's Quest Pack? Nothing is really coming up on my searches...
Last edited by Daedalus on November 29th, 2021, 10:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: split topic from Failed to playtest topic at the Frozen Horror room

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby lestodante » November 29th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Read this... but it is no more updated since 2011:
http://tocoking.be/ahq/unreleased.html

Also there is a guy on Boardgamegeek, SkyKnight, who owns the concept miniatures of Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs (they are "4ups" the original miniatures) because he has some friends working at Hasbro...
He sayd he also own the Wizard Quest Pack but since it is copyrighted, he can't talk or show anything:
http://oldscratch.smackwell.com/cgi-bin ... 21433207/0

Anyway, I don't think the image by Donald L. Kueker posted by Toco representing the 2 wizards fighting each others was really intended to be used for the Wizrad Quest Pack. None of the painted characters has any reference with HeroQuest.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 30th, 2018, 8:38 am

Fantastic Lestodante! Thank you for bringing forth this information. This article provides some of the names of who was involved in the American designs; doesn't answer the why the question entirely.

It seems like there were intentions to make a quest pack specifically for all 4 characters but somewhere along the line the project was cut short and abandoned. Copyright laws can last over 100 years... presumably the copyright is owned by Milton Bradley, now Hasbro Games. It's their product, they have the rights to release it or not... now I'm just looking for the why.

As you said, it was last updated 7 years ago... it might be time somebody gets back on the case.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » November 30th, 2018, 1:47 pm

You can also have a look at this: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/659350/ ... quest-pack
(I sent a couple of messages yesterday and today too)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » December 2nd, 2018, 1:30 am

lestodante wrote:You can also have a look at this: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/659350/ ... quest-pack
(I sent a couple of messages yesterday and today too)

That's really great of you for sticking up for him lestodante; I would agree, I think a lot of people on here would donate to pay the copyright infringement just to get a look at these quest packs (myself included).
However, by the looks of it Skyknight's trail goes cold in 2013... it might take a bit of effort to get ahold of him.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » December 2nd, 2018, 6:48 am

but maybe Toco and Malechi are friends of him and they can intermediate. ;)
Both of them are active and also replied to my posts.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » December 6th, 2018, 12:13 pm

So, apparently, Hasbro doesn't own the trademark for Heroquest anymore. It's own by Moon Design... I guess they're the ones that might sue him.
A couple years back, Gamezone attempted to create and release HeroQuest 25th Anniversary edition, as they own the trademark in Spain. Moon Design threw infringement charges at them, demanding proof that Hasbro sold the rights to them and a percentage of the proceeds.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » December 6th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I guess the question is now, is Moon Design going to do anything with the brand anymore at all? I mean, owning the IP is one thing, but putting it on the shelf just to collect dust instead of polishing the game and releasing new content again? And then moan about someone else trying to create something that infringes on the IP?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » December 6th, 2018, 4:12 pm

In Trademark language HeroQuest is just a name; what they do with it can be completely different then its origin. Much like when Milton Bradley first released the Elf Quest Pack; the term "Elf Quest" was already trademarked by Warp Graphics, they were sued and forced to change it to "Quest Pack for the Elf." Despite the fact that there was no relation at all.
In like manner Moon Design has published several books in regards to roll playing. They use the words (or Trademark) "Hero Quest" as a mere sequel to Glorantha. Whilst a fantasy world still, it has no relation to the game this site is based off of. In other words "HeroQuest" is only words to them. They have no intention to reproduce the game, because it now applies to their game.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » December 6th, 2018, 4:58 pm

That's a shame, to be honest.

As a streak of irony: Sierra released a game in 1989, who's original title was "Hero's Quest", but they failed to trademark it - which promptly saw Milton Bradley do so for their now famous boardgame. Sierra was forced to rename their game to "Quest for Glory" instead.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items