• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Compilation of Leaflets, Advertisements and Other Documents.

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

What do you think about this compilation of documents?

It's great! Finally somebody has prepared it! Thank you so much!!
67%
It's very useful and I will contribute as posible with Inn's Community by means of new additions or related useful information.
20%
It's quite interesting but I don't care too much about these kind of documents. I am only interested in game components.
13%
Indiferent.
No votes
Quite rare... do you really think these kind of documents provide any useful information?
No votes
Sorry, I cannot undestand why somebody waste time on this.
No votes

Total votes : 15

Re: Compilation of Leaflets, Advertisements and Other Docume

Postby Kurgan » January 2nd, 2024, 2:36 am

Fantastic stuff, thank you HZ for these amazing scans! I wonder if as the original HeroQuest art was based on the Les Edwards painting if there is an original painting that was the basis of the German "StarQuest" mockup box art? Maybe from Warhammer 40,000 from 1989 or earlier? I wonder if such a thing exists... the manual cover even looks like one of those 40K "codex" supplement books.

It's tough but I feel like I can make out pip patterns on those "blue" dice included with StarQuest... seems like the original game must have had rolling for movement rather than the fixed movement for all characters as in the released version. A pretty good guess at least other than some other use, like tracking life points (but then why only two dice and why blue? probably not because the life point counters on the "scanners" are also shown).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby HispaZargon » January 2nd, 2024, 7:55 am

About Space Crusade artworks, the only draft I found through internet some months ago is this 1990 one by David Sque titled "Curse of the Idol" (source link here):

Space_Crusade_Cover_preliminary_drawing.jpg

It is interesting to check that this drawing shows a mark in lower right corner saying "puzzle", probably as a guide for making the well known MB puzzle with this artwork.

Here is the final coloured artwork for reference:

space-crusade_Jim Burns.jpg

I would like to also remark that many people think that this artwork cover was created by legend artist Jim Burns but that's not true. Mr. Burns only created the first version of the box cover art, only released in UK, which was replaced by the one made by Mr. Sque.

The first game cover was this one:

pic1413731.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 2nd, 2024, 8:00 am

Wow, and both look different from the flier one.
Last edited by Kurgan on January 3rd, 2024, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » January 2nd, 2024, 8:18 am

Well, the box shown in the German flyer is a prototype. If you check its cover art you can see there a couple of Space Marine Terminators in the background, so maybe this preliminary drawing was inspired in Space Hulk art, who knows if GW archives had a copy of it somewhere.

Nevertheless, I think it will be so difficult to find a better resolution picture of this illustration, it seems to be a quick draft they made as first shot, just for this game, not for Space Hulk, but maybe it suggests that their very first idea was introducing Terminators in Space Crusade basic box instead of regular Space Marines to emulate Space Hulk board game? Well, the prototype miniatures shown onto the board I think are regular Rogue Trader's metallic Space Marines, so if yes, it was just a very first idea they had.

GW introduced later official rules for Terminators in Space Crusade via White Dwarf magazine.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » January 12th, 2024, 10:04 pm

Hi, as you probably know, one of the few back-in-the-day interviews to Stephen Baker was the one performed by legend designer Andrea Angiolino published in year 1998, at Italian magazine Kaos (related info available in this thread).

Such 1998 article encouraged me to know more about this Kaos magazine, so I tried to get some physical issues of this magazine with limited success because nowadays Kaos magazines are not easy to be found. Nevertheless, I fortunatelly found some of them (as you know from other post, including the issue 55 with the Stephen Baker interview) and after checking them I think I discovered a so great product from the past 90's. They included lots of good roleplaying and boardgaming articles and information even for me, a non Italian speaker.

But the best is still to come...

Reading my issue 10 of the Kaos magazine, published in June 1993, I found a great article about the release of Warhammer Fantasy Battles 4th Edition, which was the first Warhammer game I ever played, and I found there an awesome JEWEL... the article also included an interview by legend designer Roberto Di Meglio to Phil Gallagher, who was one of the creators of the first edition of Warhammer Fantasy RPG from 1986...

Yeah, things start to become interesting, correct?

You are right... of course Phil Gallagher talked in the interview a lot about Warhammer, Games Workshop, Citadel and... and... YES..! he also talked about HEROQUEST !!!

He only mentioned HeroQuest in a few paragraphs, including some words for Space Crusade and more, but in my opinion the information contained there is so much interesting... He provided unknown details (at least for me at the time, but I bet also for most of the fans) about how GW collaborated with MB in the development of HeroQuest, Space Crusade and OTHER collaborations between MB and GW, which included two more games which were never released.

In my opinion, one of the most important details revealed by Phil Gallagher on this 1993 interview is that GW game designers participated in the development of HeroQuest much more than most of the people has thought through the last decades (when it was generally accepted that Stephen Baker was the sole designer of the game), something that I suspected since much time ago and an hypothesis that was also presented by Jordan Sorcery's You Tube channel on this great video, published the last year.

This issue of the magazine also include some paragraphs talking about Advanced HeroQuest and the HeroQuest and Space Crusade videogames.

Here you have the pages I have extracted from the Italian magazine Kaos, issue 10 (released in June 1993). Of course they are in Italian, but I have translated them to English and Spanish in this related thread, which I fully encourage you to visit to know more :-)

- Kaos Magazine, issue 10, June 1993 (Italian)
1993_Kaos_Magazine_Issue_10_[I totally agree]_EXTRACT_LR.pdf

Believe me, I see this magazine one of the best priced items I own in my archive, so I hope you will enjoy its content.

I have updated the first post list according to this new addon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » February 8th, 2024, 6:34 pm

Here you have pages extracted from two old issues of another legendary magazine, Games International, which included some articles about HeroQuest, just at the time it was released in 1989.

One of these numbers (issue 9) included one of the very first interviews performed to Stephen Baker, so in my humble opinion it has a lot of historical value.

- Games International Magazine, issue 8, August 1989 (English) - Includes a review of HeroQuest board game.
1989_GamesInternational_Magazine_Issue_8_[ENG]_EXTRACT_LR.pdf

- Games International Magazine, issue 9, September/October 1989 (English) - Includes an interview with Stephen Baker, and an interesting article with some recommended homebrew rules for board game HeroQuest.
1989_GamesInternational_Magazine_Issue_9_[ENG]_EXTRACT_LR.pdf

I have updated the first post list according to this new addons.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items