• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest - The Card Game

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HeroQuest - The Card Game

Postby Daedalus » August 7th, 2021, 6:44 pm

lestodante wrote:I received mine one week ago. I opened it yesterday and played a couple of times, thats' not bad.
It basically uses the dice roll system to "eliminate" cards on in play on the table.
Unlike the original game, the heroes are well balanced; there are six different "threads" "threats" plus Searches and Healing; the Threads Threats are distribuited on the cards equally so there are 14 threads threats for each type while each hero has a bonus on 2 different Threads Threats, so even the Wizard is a competitive character here and also has an advantage on healing wounds.
Maybe the Dwarf is the stronger one here because one of his bonus is focused on Searchs and a successfully search is the ONLY way to eliminate two cards with the same thread threat in the same turn.. . .

FTFY
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » August 7th, 2021, 11:06 pm

Time to "remake" this using the classic elements? If you agree go here...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » September 2nd, 2021, 6:03 pm

I just edited my post on page 3 because I noticed I was wronng about characters balance: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=5570&start=20#p108644
The four Heroes are perfectly paired: Barbarian=Dwarf and Elf=Wizard. Barbarian and Dwarf are exactly the same, having bonuses against two of the threats; Elf and Wizard are the same, both have a bonus against only one of the threats but they can heal (themselves) easily. Maybe the Barbarian is still a little bit stronger than Dwarf because the Chaos Spell "Cloud of Chaos" add a malus against the Chaos Warriors, but considering the barbarian already has a bonus against them by default.... :barbarian:
Some more things I would like to say about the game mechanics:
The Hero's card sometimes confuse me, it shows dice next to the threats, they're showing the number of skulls you need to roll to defeat that threats, but sometimes it let me think they are the number of dice I can roll against it.
For example, Barbarian's card shows 1 skulll for the Chaos Warrior. It may seem I need to roll one die against the CW! Instead I still roll 2 dice against it but only one skull is required to defeat the CW (on a roll of two dice).
Cards featuring the Chaos Spells are not clear, do their effects apply only during the turn you're playng them OR is their effect permanent until you heal from them in some way?
Same doubt I have with the Broadsword (the ONLY additional weapon in the deck): can I roll one extra dice in attack only for one turn OR can I still take advantage of its bonus on further turns too? That's not clear at all for me.
RUST: you must discard one card from your hand, so basically you play this card and discard the second one you own, no choice unless you are playing the spell on another Hero and not on yourself. I don't even see a relation beetween rust and receiving a bonus (discard a card without playing it).
Also this is a game of pure lucky and less strategy; depending by numbers of players you will play with a partial deck only. So it can happen you play a game with all the bonus cards in the deck and no chaos spells at all. Or the opposite!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kyle+ » September 13th, 2021, 7:38 am

I too was disappointed to learn that the HQ card game would not be available. It would have been a nice preview for the style of art direction under Avalon Hill. It would have also been interesting to see the basic HQ game mechanics from another perspective (cards vs board). It would be awesome if someone who got their hands on a copy could upload the files to Ye Olde Inn :). Any takers?
Kyle+

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Kurgan » September 13th, 2021, 8:41 am

lestodante posted pics of all the cards. Is there a full text post of the rules? I forget... but check the threads. I'm thinking you could re-create it using classic elements (and possibly a better experience) if you wanted.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Araliane » October 13th, 2021, 4:28 am

HeroQuest reminds me of my childhood. It was the first game of its type to appear on the mass market. It was a board game representing role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. The fantasy genre was suddenly on the shelves, and millions of people had access to it all over the world. HeroQuest was something new. It was exciting ... it wowed me and allowed me to gather many non-gamer friends to play and explore dungeon after dungeon for hours! As I said, this game reminds me of my childhood and also solitaire. It was one of the first games I played on my new computer. Too bad HeroQuest isn’t issued anymore.
Last edited by StratosVX on October 13th, 2021, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam link
Araliane

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Odanan » October 13th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Araliane wrote:Too bad HeroQuest isn’t issued anymore.

What are you talking about? The remake* of the game is coming to the stores soon.
https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

*OK, they changed the thing I liked the most (the art style) and didn't change at all what needed to be modernized (the rules), but still: it is HeroQuest and people will be able to buy it.
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Odanan » October 13th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Kurgan wrote:Time to "remake" this using the classic elements? If you agree go here...

If someone missed the other thread, here it is my "demake" of the HeroQuest Card Game:
https://www.deviantart.com/odanan/art/HeroQuest-Card-Game-Demake-893190952
Odanan

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » October 13th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Odanan wrote:
Araliane wrote:Too bad HeroQuest isn’t issued anymore.

What are you talking about? The remake* of the game is coming to the stores soon.
https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

We hope. It's guaranteed to come to Hasbro Pulse and a few online distributors in various countries AFTER the pledges are fulfilled (by end of this month), and the "store shelves" thing is pretty likely soon after that. And yes, that one shop said they'd get it (which is great news). Fingers crossed!

But yeah, there's nothing stopping someone right now from using this "Demake" as you call it, other than perhaps having trouble finding dice. But even if you can't find classic HQ dice, there are lots of reprint options, from 3d prints to wooden or plastic remakes on etsy and that German Guy who sells the colored dice (he sells white dice too!).

I too would love to have had a straight reprint instead of this 2021 Remake that Hasbro is putting through Avalon Hill, but it is what it is. Hopefully it is more or less identical to what we had in the early 90's. But either way, even if Hasbro/Avalon Hill isn't selling the official card game anymore, you can still enjoy a (better) version of it through these efforts. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sargon » February 3rd, 2022, 2:56 pm

Odanan wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Time to "remake" this using the classic elements? If you agree go here...

If someone missed the other thread, here it is my "demake" of the HeroQuest Card Game:
https://www.deviantart.com/odanan/art/HeroQuest-Card-Game-Demake-893190952

This is really cool. Thanks. Now I just need to find a way to print it in good quality!
Sargon

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items