• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby Shadzar » December 9th, 2020, 3:51 pm

Oftkilted wrote:
warlordaxe wrote:Maybe this whole orc bard thing is just Hasbro being salty that they cant use any Games Workshop lore,minis etc. Maybe they conversed with GW prior to all this to strike a deal and GW wasn't having any of it and didn't want another Malice (5th chaos god) situation. ...

I think that Jane West said it well:

Jane West, in her novel The Loyalists: An Historical Novel (1812) wrote:“Let us not attribute to malice and cruelty what may be referred to less criminal motives.”

we are talking about HASBRO and SJW mobs.. so Hanlon's Razor is more apropos since we are pulling from Wikipedia, at least tell which page you are quoting from. ;)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » December 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

So I ordered this from Hero Forge to have a female alt. Hero Forge is a bit expensive but I couldn’t find a decent model anywhere.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » December 10th, 2020, 11:34 am

j_dean80 wrote:So I ordered this from Hero Forge to have a female alt. Hero Forge is a bit expensive but I couldn’t find a decent model anywhere.

Yeah, I wasn’t seeing a solid miniature either.

There are multiple “Orc Rangers” even some female versions. But all the “Orc bards” appear to be male models.

It’s a good choice for your miniature.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby j_dean80 » December 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

j_dean80 wrote:So I ordered this from Hero Forge to have a female alt. Hero Forge is a bit expensive but I couldn’t find a decent model anywhere.

Oh and that’s a mandolin strapped to her back. (Can’t see from this angle.)

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » December 10th, 2020, 2:18 pm

j_dean80 wrote:

Good stuff! Like like the mandolin idea!

There’s a Orc Bard model (in metal) from Stonehaven with the bard wielding a set of drums:

The description says male, but it’s hard to tell at scale. And they have crazy flowing hair. Maybe an alternative?
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » December 10th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Oftkilted wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:

Good stuff! Like like the mandolin idea!

There’s a Orc Bard model (in metal) from Stonehaven with the bard wielding a set of drums:

The description says male, but it’s hard to tell at scale. And they have crazy flowing hair. Maybe an alternative?

I generally think of a male Orc as being bald. Also looks like that model may have a chest. I would call it female. Seems hard to fight carrying all those drums.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Oftkilted » December 10th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Drums and Bagpipes are classed as “weapons of war” ... and yeah. It does look like the Orc model may have some kind of chest. More so than a typical male model. But beating a monster upside the head with a Mandolin doesn’t seem in the best interests of the Mandolin. 8-)
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 10th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Sorry, whenever I see "male model" I can't stop being reminded of Zoolander. Carry on...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 14th, 2020, 9:39 am

Actually giving the Orc Bard bagpipes and an accordion would be pretty dope (as those crazy kids in their late 40s are fond of saying).

As far as progression goes, what progression? The only progression the Heroes normally get are upgrades in terms of gear. Armor to roll more defend dice and weapons to roll more attack dice... plus the occasion ability to attack diagonally or at range. The Wizard gets less ugprades, the only thing that improves are his basic fighting stats, he gets no more spells. Yes, the new Expansions have new spell group options but he still always has nine spells, and the Elf always only gets one set of three, no matter what sets he has.

I guess the only thing that really is unique are the Artifacts you find (those that aren't single use), which give you a permanent boost or ability that you can carry from Quest to Quest.

An Orc Bard, to me, is functionally a Cleric. He's focused on boosting others. That's different from the Wizard, which has a combination of spell options that make him based on self preservation and destroying bosses (yes, he can boost others too, of course). In the upgrade system I came up with, I tried to tweak the basic abilities of each character as they complete more Quests. So the Barbarian and the Dwarf get better at scoring hits in battle (and the Dwarf gets better at disarming traps). The Wizard's survival skills (his weak attack and defense) get more efficient and his spells get little boosts. The Elf gets more magic. And so on.

I made a Paladin as an undead slayer. So he gets more efficient at killing undead as he progresses. The Ranger is all about standing back and hitting at distance (the Warlock in the Remake is basically a Ranger), so as he progresses, his ranged attacks get better, and his basic trap disarming ability improves (even while lagging behind the Dwarf). And my Mystic is a battle mage, she gets more magic as she progresses. Keeping it simple here. And as the good guys progress so do the bad guys. The bad guys get randomly better at attack and defense, making them more threatening and harder to kill.

For my own Cleric I made him/her a healer, who can still fight, but is weak healing him/herself (chance to totally fail, or only do 1 BP). The upgrade for the Cleric is more healing, and then more powerful healing and a greater chance to save him/herself. So if the Orc Bard is a Cleric, then the same would be true. The dice used would increase in number and/or change in color (Green more likely to get shields, Black more likely to get skulls) to become more efficient.

My Orc ex-Pirate Cleric is going to be an interesting character class. But that's me making lemonade out of lemons. Still, it will be interesting to see what they come up with in a year for the character. Then again if he has no backstory and is a generic class like the Classic Heroes, you have the same problem (or opportunity for your imagination) that we have right now. Either you care enough to make him fit, or you don't and that's that. Could still use him as an NPC, good or bad...

You see Zargon is patrolling his waters with these Orc corsairs... and its a common phenomenon that they'll go off on their own and either become free merchants, or try to loot other Orcs (and have to be hunted down), and a few of them have seen TH' LITE! and formed a rather sizable community of monasteries on various islands across the waters. The Empire has taken great interest in recruiting these Chaos ex-patriots to the cause. Some of them are content to go on their way selling and transporting goods while others maintain simple lives of penance for their past evil deeds. Others have become zealous for the fight against their former masters and such is this one you pull out of the box and plunk on the board...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » December 14th, 2020, 11:50 am

I’m actually not a big fan of most of the Paladin implementations. Especially any of the ones with the “turn undead” ability. Mainly because they tend to completely trivialize the major encounters in RotWL. But this being a discussion of the Bard and not the Paladin. Carry on!

Regarding the Bard “progression”
There’s substantial limitations on equipment that are indicated for the Bard.

IE Bonus Defense when using “non-metal armour and no shield”.

That becomes basically useless towards end game. A Helm, Shield and Chainmail give substantially more defense than would be available by ‘default’ so they become an “elf variant with 1 less HP” that starts with the EU version of the short sword.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items