• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Druid Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Druid Hero?

Postby FainFlynn » Monday October 19th, 2020 8:26am

yay! We unlocked the yoga-enthusiast soccer mom! LOL
FainFlynn

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » Monday October 19th, 2020 9:20am

I'm all for a Hero Quest remake and additional expansions, and I even like changing the Elven Character to a girl.
However, some of these new characters (The Warlock and the Bard) just don't seem to "fit" with the preestablished heroes. "Toss a coin to your Witcher", it's why he's there. You don't recruit a bard to join you in an unexplored dungeon.

As for the Druid, there's a time and a place for everything. Rescuing Sir Ragnar is not a time and place for a Druid. Go pray to some stones, we have a Wizard.

Imagine the Barbarian on a quest with the Bard, Druid and Warlock:
Warlock: "Look, the Bard, his song, it's not lulling them..."
Barbarian: "he's surrounded, Drew, quick, Veil of Mist him!"
Druid: "What's that?"

Or

Druid: "My pixies detect a trap on that chest."
Barbarian: "What? You wasted your pixies on a search?"
Driud: "They're always healing, I just want to make them feel like they have more then that one use."
Barbarian: "Wiz never asked the Genie to open a door..."
Bard: "We need to disarm it."
Warlock: "That's what a Tool Kit is for."
Barbarian: "No, that's what a Dwarf is for."
Bard: "Well, we're fresh out of Dwarves..."
Barbarian: "Because I brought you lot..."
Warlock: "Does anyone have a tool kit?"
Barbarian: "Yes, but it's highly unreliable... does anyone else want to try?"
Druid: "And lose my bear?"
Warlock: "I have Demonform."
Barbarian: "Fine, I'll do it..."
Bard: "If it stings, I can sing you a soothing melody."
Last edited by wallydubbs on Saturday January 30th, 2021 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
wallydubbs

Scout
Scout

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday October 19th, 2020 10:33am

I wonder how things would go with more than four Heroes at a time...

I agree, the Bard seems like a NPC. Or a comedy character when you get bored and you want to drag just one more person into the game...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » Monday October 19th, 2020 12:28pm

Bard play test has wording in it that makes it seem as if they have decided that shields are not metal. Guess the druid can use shields according to this lodgic.

also poor pixie: bard gets a spell that heals all heroes he can see 2 body points, while you can choose to heal no one to point out traps...
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » Monday October 19th, 2020 1:58pm

Orc26 wrote:Bard play test has wording in it that makes it seem as if they have decided that shields are not metal. Guess the druid can use shields according to this lodgic.

also poor pixie: bard gets a spell that heals all heroes he can see 2 body points, while you can choose to heal no one to point out traps...

Wooden shields is realistic, but the Armory illustration I grew up with clearly has metal on there.

So instead of a Cleric, we get a Bard? Ah, the healing power of Rock 'n' Roll...

Samurai Armor... lacquered wood and leather, yo!

My shields on the other hand are definitely METAL!!! \oo/

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Monday October 19th, 2020 3:12pm

Orc26 wrote:Bard play test has wording in it that makes it seem as if they have decided that shields are not metal. Guess the druid can use shields according to this lodgic.

Good point about Bard Shield use. Apart from this, the new Equipment cards are likely to contain the same text as the original Armory. In that case, only Chain Mail and Plate Mail are described as metal armor. Text trumps pics for rules.

Orc26 wrote:also poor pixie: bard gets a spell that heals all heroes he can see 2 body points, while you can choose to heal no one to point out traps...

At first, I couldn't see much of a purpose for the search part of the spell. Sure, it's a combined search, but with no time pressure that ain't much. So I pondered a bit, and came upon a few useful instances to use the search option.

First case is the non-detectable pit trap or falling-block trap just inside a door--now they can be detected and jumped. Second case is the ability to detect traps with monsters present--either that Abomination placed on the other side of a pit trap or several traps placed in a crowded boss room. Third case is to search for a secret door to escape a hopeless battle when otherwise cut off.

Since a clue, good intuition, or a lucky guess is needed to pull off a successful search, I don't see a search being used much over healing, but it is better than a Genie opening a door.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » Monday October 19th, 2020 4:03pm

Nikki Dawes wrote:When I was asked to create the druid character, I knew I wanted to start with a succulent. They are hardy, drought-resistant plants, which I thought was a good fit for a strong and battle-ready character. I also wanted to keep a lot of rounded shapes in the overall design to contrast with other characters. I included this with the way her hair wraps around the succulent headpiece, the rounded forms of the braid itself, the curved lines of her body markings, and her soft body shape. I also wanted to keep her clothing simple and something that she could quickly move around in, so I actually based her simple leather top and bottoms on gym clothes (with some fancy leaf adornments).

shudder. train wreck from start to finish, ESPECIALLY that last sentence. Gym clothes???!!! Despite the quick revisions to the art design in reponse to the overwhelming negative feedback, this character should have been scrapped as it simply didnt work at all for HeroQuest, and a new illustrator engaged. "Sorry, your idea didn't work out (and really upset the fan base/customers) thanks anyway [slow clap] nice try?" Not sure how she was placed in a position to work as a fantasy illustrator for a game company if she is that off base with the games themselves.

"You are the Druid, a woodland guardian and healer. You are a powerful physical combatant while using your Shapeshift spell but you can be weak when your resources are depleted. A Druid hero may not wear metal armor."

I can work with the shapeshifting druid concept that rejects "unnatural" manufactured materials and weaponry though. A staff is the obvious weapon choice. I just wish I was happy with the product out of the box rather than immediately looking for an alternative figure model and ignoring all but one spell.

Doug Hopkins wrote:In popular culture, druids are known to cast nature spells, heal and defend their allies in the form of savage beasts. Nikki Dawes’s art features a tiger-like arm and claws, which inspired me to endow this new hero with a shapeshifting spell. I want our Druid to be situationally comparable in power to the Barbarian, but at the cost of their action economy and resources. I’m continuing to explore the idea that there is a condition that would allow you to recover a spell – for example, Shapeshift for this hero – that you have already cast.

The Druid has comparable statistics to the Elf. They can use most weapons in the game but their armor is limited. They will rely of their own spells and the spells of their allies to keep them healthy.
The illustrations above are the game art for the Druid’s three spells:

• Shapeshift
Shapeshift grants you 1 extra Attack and Defend dice. The spell is broken when the hero suffers 1 point of Body damage. Regain this spell when your Body Points return to their starting number.

• Pixie
This spell conjures up a Pixie who will do one of the following: Restore up to two Body points that have been lost to one hero or search. The Pixie will reveal all traps and secret doors in any location you can "see."

• Lifeforce
This spell may be cast on any one hero, including yourself. Its magical power will immediately restore up to 4 lost Body Points, but it does not give a hero more than their starting number.

The idea here is that the Druid can fulfil a melee protector role in their quest with the use of their Shapeshift spell. Hopefully they can regain this spell with a combination of spells, potions, and teamwork.

I would lose all but the shapeshift and give her/him more nature based spells.
Calling on another woodland creature the pixie (comes from where exactly? Especially in a dungeon) to do your work for you is lame. Should be the same result as a 'find familar' or 'call woodland creatures' spell result in a dungeon: your spell failed. Why not have the druid actually do something rather than just calling for aid? Too similar to aspects of the genie spell but without the plausibility. Lifeforce seems like the cleric we should have got, rather than druid magic.

how about shape shift into [insert animal type] and gain specific aspect of that animal temporarily for a variety of beasts? Great cat, bird of prey, stag, etc.
how about a 'restore wood to life' spell creating little tree creatures out of doors, chests and tables that can manipulate the environment or aid in combat? or alternatively living tables and chairs...

most of the elemental spells for the wizard and elf in the basic game seem more "druidy" than this paltry selection offered by Doug Hopkims.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Monday October 19th, 2020 7:16pm

Cael Darkhollow wrote:how about shape shift into [insert animal type] and gain specific aspect of that animal temporarily for a variety of beasts? Great cat, bird of prey, stag, etc.
how about a 'restore wood to life' spell creating little tree creatures out of doors, chests and tables that can manipulate the environment or aid in combat? or alternatively living tables and chairs...

most of the elemental spells for the wizard and elf in the basic game seem more "druidy" than this paltry selection offered by Doug Hopkims.

I totally agree that her shapeshift is her only selling point.
The other two spells literally only exist to help her regain that spell.
I would actually have liked to see her lose the ability to regain Shapeshift and lose the two healing spells.
Then give her 3 different shapeshifting spells to use throughout the dungeon. Just embrace it and make her a dedicated shapeshifter.

Shapeshift tiger: +1 Attack
Shapeshift Eagle: +1 Defense + Flying
Shapeshift bear: +1 attack and +1 defense

Or something like that... It would definitely make her a more streamlined hero.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday October 19th, 2020 8:15pm

Orc26 wrote:I was just double checking that changing into a bear/person/thing made her better at shooting crossbows... because I feel like that is a little bit off from how they wanted the spell to work.

Game mechanics like "extra combat die" means across the board. So a potion of strength would indeed make your thrown dagger or your crossbow shot stronger, just as it would make your staff or sword strike stronger. If you want to argue about realism, maybe the "Magic" spell or potion grants you supernaturally enhanced accuracy... such that you hit a more vital area with your missile attack, causing more damage.

If you literally turned into a bear, and were fighting with your claws, maybe, but it doesn't say that. A bear isn't going to be able to hold a sword (unless it's an anthropomorphic bear with paws more like hands I guess, like those Polar Warbears in the BQP)... but some animals have not only greater natural strength than humans (including Dwarves or Elves) but also better eyesight. Maybe they can aim better? Here's a random article on the subject.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » Monday October 19th, 2020 9:32pm

why not make five spell cards but you get to pick only three for an adventure? Elf and Wizard at least get to select their spells
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items