• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » February 2nd, 2024, 1:46 am

WARNING! Potential SPOILER for newcomers to TFH!
...
...
...

I'm just starting Quest 6 of TFH for the first time, and after my barbarian went down the slide, two things happened in the application. One, an enemy I successfully killed with the dwarf would NOT remove itself until I saved and exited and then reloaded. Two, the other enemy stayed on the slide only two steps from the barbarian no matter how many times I let Zargon have his turn. I can chalk the first point up to program error, but is the second point correct? I thought the enemies could pretty much move however they wanted, at least when it came to traps.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » February 2nd, 2024, 2:33 am

I've developed a superstition. Roll your trap, slide, etc. rolls just before the app prompts you to, and the odds are more in your favor. Seriously, I roll when it tells me to, and more often than not I roll badly. If done before, I tend to roll just fine. Weird.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » February 2nd, 2024, 11:31 pm

In the Companion so far, I've had two yetis that refused to hug, and two polar warbears that allowed for both attacks to be blocked. This seemed to vary per quest, as if programmed specifically in one but not another. Has anyone else encountered this?

EDIT: I'm getting this again with a warbear in Quest 7. This time, one attack happened to a hero, the other to a mercenary. I actually prefer this, instead of one unavoidable attack. I still ended up taking damage, so it's fair enough.
Last edited by Naniyue on February 3rd, 2024, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Kurgan » February 3rd, 2024, 12:48 am

How could both Polar Warbear attacks be blocked? I thought the app tells you to choose one to defend against. Are you saying it didn't say so? You can always house rule (as I do based on the old draft notes) that both attacks are combined into one and you defend against the whole thing. Did you mean both rolls missed?


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » February 3rd, 2024, 1:38 am

Seriously! I had one warbear attack the dwarf, and then the other attack was aimed at a merc!

I've also just had an enemy crossbowman shoot at someone behind a wall!

I'm also getting enemy crossbowmen firing at an adjacent hero. Is this allowed? I know the heroes can't do that!
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby SirRick » February 3rd, 2024, 9:47 am

If the bear targets different creatures, each one gets to defend. I think Kurgan was asking if the app was telling you that the same target was allowed to defend both attacks from one bear.


Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
SirRick

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 512
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Kurgan » February 3rd, 2024, 2:51 pm

Yeah I may have just misunderstood the comment, sorry.

Naniyue wrote:Seriously! I had one warbear attack the dwarf, and then the other attack was aimed at a merc!

I've also just had an enemy crossbowman shoot at someone behind a wall!

I'm also getting enemy crossbowmen firing at an adjacent hero. Is this allowed? I know the heroes can't do that!


A character with a double attack is allowed to hit two targets or double up on one, so that's not an error... AH is just saying each character only gets one defensive roll per attacker in that round. So if you had 4 monsters surrounding you, and each attacked in turn, you'd get 4 defensive rolls, one for each. If one monster had a double attack you'd defend one of those two attacks (you get to choose which one... when using the app you're going to see what those rolls are so you can pick the easier one).

It all started with the Frozen Horror, because prior to that no clear instruction was given on unblockable multi-attacks in HeroQuest before this. The intention moving forward was to revise all of it (since heroes could do double attacks since the game system, with Heroic Brew and Orc's Bane), hence the supplement with the Rogue Heir Hero Collection, which granted, not everyone has access to, though there's a little suggestion in "Into the Northlands" (rather than the app) about waiting for the second roll to decide which one to roll defense against.

Crossbowmen (and ROTDM Arbalists) are armed with broadswords so they can also attack adjacent targets. Elven Archers attack close with a dagger vs. longbow at range so they have a different stat (1 vs. 4 CD).

As for the crossbowman shooting behind walls, that's an error I've tried and failed to replicate... can you tell me exactly the situation in which that happened? What quest, and what part of the quest? But no, that shouldn't be happening (unless they're firing through open doorways that's it, walls clearly block line of sight... the app also acts like treasure chests don't block anything, by the way).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
User avatar
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 7114
Images: 85
Joined: February 23rd, 2019, 7:08 pm
Location: https://discord.gg/2R9pEP4cty
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » February 3rd, 2024, 10:53 pm

I do believe I've had a warbear let one target block twice, but that may be a false memory. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

And thanks about the crossbowmen having an adjacent-attacking weapon.

The crossbowman shooting through a wall happened in Quest 7 (which I'm hoping to complete tonight).
He was in the central room with the gargoyle, in the upper right. My wizard was outside of the room in the bottom left corner, completely out of sight.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby SirRick » February 4th, 2024, 1:35 pm

Yesterday and today I completed quests 8, 9, and 10 of PoT. There were number of things that may have been app related that I wasn’t sure about.

Quest 8: Telor’s Tomb, I failed the Mind Point roll about 3 times or so and took damage as usual. After finishing the quest I looked in the quest book to see on one of these failed attempts, Melar could have cast Summon Orcs. This never happened to me in the app, so either it is an error, or Melar purposely chose not to cast the spell at any of those times for some reason. He is allowed to cast it only once during the quest.

Quest 9: Halls of the High Mages had some buggy moments but nothing that affected gameplay. When the central room was reveal, there were noises of a bunch of monsters being placed that could not be seen. I know this is supposed to happen, but even after all the monsters were defeated, some areas were still considered to have monsters present. The Dread Sorcerer also cheated by casting a spell at a hero that was technically not in his line of sight. The Dwarf was in the adjacent room blocking the doorway. The Elf was standing diagonally behind the Dwarf. The sorcerer was able to hit the Elf with a Tempest spell anyway. He should have only been able to target the Dwarf or the Barbarian (who was standing right next to the bad guy). I noticed the Witch Lord did this as well during the final battle of the game system quests. I know in situations when my own characters are trying to cast a spell, and a hero or monster is in the way, you get a message stating you have no line of sight.

Quest 10: The Arena of Misildia was fun…at first. Things were fine until I reached the arena. I was playing under the impression that the doors were sealed, and that you are supposed to be trapped in the arena fighting the monsters. I also assumed that I was allowed to use non-magical weapons and armor (like the text implies in the mythic version). This weakened my heroes somewhat, which should have been fine, but my orange dice decided to stop working and roll almost entirely white shields when attacking, and skulls when defending. Things got bad for the Wizard as I started playing this pack with Monsters attack weak, Advanced Goblins, and Advanced Skeleton options turned on. The Wizard took a beating, and it was made worse when monsters started running out the doors and attacking the Wizard from behind. My Dwarf and Elf were trapped in the corners because they could not kill the monsters flanking them, and I didn’t realize I could run out the doors at this point. The Wizard managed to kill an Orc with his dagger and run out of the room. Meanwhile after a couple turn monsters moved around enough that my Dwarf and Barbarian could start attacking the Abomination. It took two turns to kill him after they were finally able to engage Melar. Had he not been slain that last turn, the Wizard would still have been hounded by a bunch of Goblins that ran out into the hallway after attacking the Dwarf. The quest book does mention the doors open at the same time, so I should have realized I could have stepped out of the room and saved myself a lot of trouble and several healing potions. The arena tile used in the app looks cool, and they probably could have had a tile that folds in the middle included in the box. Its a shame they didn’t do that.


Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
SirRick

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 512
Joined: January 17th, 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: HEROQUEST - COMPANION APP discussion

Postby Naniyue » February 5th, 2024, 11:51 pm

In Quest 8 of TFH, the program gets stuck when any ice gremlin that has stolen something leaves LOS. I end up having to manually remove them.
I use Bluestacks.
Naniyue

Mummy
Mummy
 
Posts: 88
Joined: January 10th, 2024, 12:21 am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest